Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant get used to touch screen texting

Options
  • 22-04-2011 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hey Guys,
    Recently got a nokia x6 and cannot get used to touch screen texting. It is taking me much longer than with my old button phone, hitting wrong letters etc and sometimes phone not reacting to touch 1st time. Is this just the way with touch screen phones?:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

No, it just takes time. Some people pick it up quicker than others. What did you have prior to the X6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭ct89

Ive got what you need

old-phone.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Smiley G

Lol CT89...
    My previous phone was nokia e65.. had it for work, but it was so good it lasted for 3 years.. not problems or complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

ct89 wrote: »
    Ive got what you need

old-phone.gif

Can that send texts ye? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

morse-telegraph-machine.jpg

This can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

cookie1977 wrote: »

thanks for info, I will do some investigating and see how i get on. It looks a little crazy, but definitley worth trying.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Smiley G wrote: »
    thanks for info, I will do some investigating and see how i get on. It looks a little crazy, but definitley worth trying.:)
    I haven't tried it but heard lots of good things about it. I have a blackberry which has a full physical qwerty keyboard. I do sympathise though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Hey Guys,
    Recently got a nokia x6 and cannot get used to touch screen texting. It is taking me much longer than with my old button phone, hitting wrong letters etc and sometimes phone not reacting to touch 1st time. Is this just the way with touch screen phones?:mad:

Is there anything in the settings menu you can adjust/customize?

Venom wrote: »
    Is there anything in the settings menu you can adjust/customize?

Dont think so Venom. I've tried looking at all the settings but I think its working as it should, its probably just me not really being used to touch screen tech. But I do text and type pretty fast, but just one handed... maybe i'm not hitting the screen straight on seeing as i'm just using my thumb... but really dont want to start using both hands... thats not for me.
    Guess I'll just keep practising and see how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Try increasing the force feedback, IE the touch buzz at the back of the phone. Worked for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Touch screen phones are a complete pain, I hate them myself. Get a decent phone with a keyboard there are plenty around

And no you don't have to worry about being a luddite just because you are not buying into the touch screen fad.

Think i'll give the phone another week and if things dont improve then I'll switch back to good old buttons. I keep accessing apps when just picking the bloody phone up! Its a pain. Called someone yesterday by misktake cos as i picked it up the screen opened into contacts and I accidently called the first name. (already changed that to a non-number for the next time).:rolleyes:

Think i'll give the phone another week and if things dont improve then I'll switch back to good old buttons. I keep accessing apps when just picking the bloody phone up! Its a pain. Called someone yesterday by misktake cos as i picked it up the screen opened into contacts and I accidently called the first name. (already changed that to a non-number for the next time).:rolleyes:

I had one of these once. Some things you just don't get used to or don't suit you. If you're not into watching films and stuff on your phone there is no point in getting a touch screen. Pure nuisance they are tbh

nokia3650.jpg

ct89 wrote: »
    Ive got what you need

old-phone.gif

Feck sake it doesn't even have a proper rotary dial. Don't mind that yoke, only a replica for people who only like the old school 'look' and nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

The rotary dialer was the worst thing ever lol ;) used to be so annoying if you accidentally went a little bit too far and got the wrong number. Had to do the dialing over again :S
    Hey Guys,

Recently got a nokia x6 and cannot get used to touch screen texting. It is taking me much longer than with my old button phone, hitting wrong letters etc and sometimes phone not reacting to touch 1st time. Is this just the way with touch screen phones?

Are ya using the numeric keypad on the touchscreen or the qwerty?

Its just due to the screen tech on that Nokia that it makes it so hard. Higher quality phones with touchscreens are far easier to text on.

I had to use Sony Erricson with hardware buttons for a week and it was a pain going back to it from a large touchscreen.

The rotary dialer was the worst thing ever lol ;) used to be so annoying if you accidentally went a little bit too far and got the wrong number. Had to do the dialing over again :S

Are ya using the numeric keypad on the touchscreen or the qwerty?

Its just due to the screen tech on that Nokia that it makes it so hard. Higher quality phones with touchscreens are far easier to text on.

I had to use Sony Erricson with hardware buttons for a week and it was a pain going back to it from a large touchscreen.

I dunno how you'd go too far unless the little metal piece was missing? I find numeric keypads a bit of an ould pain but i'd still prefer them over a touch screen

It's actually for this reason that I got a Nokia N86 when I was upgrading my 6680 last year, I can text blindfolded on it but I'd most likely find it difficult on a touch screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

No i mean if for the likes you need to dial one and instead you go over to 2. You would need to hang up and start again all over again on them rotary dialers :)

Well you cant text blind folded on a touchscreen cause theres no groves for feedback. But a big screen and a capacitive screen makes all the difference.

Most of the cheap phone if not all have cheap resistive screens is what the X6 has i think. Their quite annoying to text on because you have to apply a certain amount of pressure to make sure it presses. Where the higher end screens dont count on pressure and just response to touch.

The likes of HTC Desire,HD,S,Z and Samsung Galaxy S and Nokia C7 and N8 have very good screens and ive seen people that never used a touch screen before getting used to typing on them in a matter of minutes.

At first they were like first time using a mouse and keyboard on a pc. Typing one by one. Then suddenly they pick it up and start blazing away when they find out what does what.

Especially since Nokia and HTC offer a numerical keypad option instead of qwerty that has nice big buttons :)

Dunno why but majority of men arent able to use touchscreens where women can pick it up fairly fast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

yeah I am locking it when not in use, but it happened when i unlocked it to see the time, then accidently brushed the screen as i put it back down...
    I know I need to be less impatient and give the phone a chance.. but I can feel already that I may be going back to the classic slide style.. big screen and buttons.

Advertisement