Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy a Celestron Omni XLT 127

Options
  • 22-04-2011 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I emailed astronomy.ie to see what price they would give me on a Celestron Omni xlt 127 & they said €600 (normal retail €650) also I get a moon filter & moon map.

This is my first time to buy a telescope so what I am wondering is am I getting a good deal at that price which it seems I am & is this a good telescope to start with.

Any advice would be of great help as I would have to buy is tomorrow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Liam

I bought the same telescope a week ago for 609 euros. It was also my first time to buy a scope. If you look on the web, I think this is pretty much the going price for this scope. Astronomy.ie offered me an additional 6" Newtonian tube (Celestron C6-N) for 100 euros which I took up.

I was able to see Saturn (although it was small) with the Newtonian tube. I didn't try the smaller tube that comes as part of the XLT 127 as I was led to believe that it is more suited to wider sky views (whereas the Newtonian is larger and better suited to focusing on planets and smaller objects). I'm a total novice here so I could be totally wrong.

Regardless, of whether or not you get the Newtonian, I recommend you get the eyepiece kit that they have on sale (~200 euros there). The XLT 127 comes with a 25mm eyepiece and, although you will see Saturn and it's rings with it, it will be very small and the rings just about visible.

The kit contains eyepieces from 32mm right down to 4mm (lower is better/more magnified). The kit also has filters and a "2X Barlow", this I believe effectively doubles the magnification of any eyepiece. Bottom line - you're going to need this kit to view Saturn in the way you might expect. I have one on order from Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-Eye-Piece-Filter-Kit/dp/B00006RH5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1303514618&sr=8-1

What else....The equatorial mount that comes with the XLT 127 is good and very sturdy. I can't think of anything else to say - if you need any further info, let me know.

FWIW, I am happy with mine. I am sure I will get many happy years of viewing the sky at night.

A.

Advertisement