Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social care leading to social work?

• 22-04-2011 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all, it's looking like Carlow IT next year, or their Wexford campus to study social care. The question is I'm wondering is as I want to go on to study social work after, will either social care course (cause their both pretty similar as far as I can see) allow me to progress to the social work course in Trinity or UCD. I'm a bit confused as the entry requirements states that Social Policy must be a major subject and then there is requirements of a second class honours grade II bit. I'm thinking the second class honours part is down to how well I do, but does that mean I'll have to do the 4 year course in Carlow or could I just do the three year course and progress to the next course then?

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 mrsmalooly

Hi, I'm considering Social Studies also, looking at the UCD website it seems you can apply if you have completed the FETAC level 5 Applied Social Studies EASXX which is only a one year course. This course is offered in Carlow Vocational College, I've been looking for info on transport to Carlow from Wexford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

As far as I am aware, you will need to complete the four year honours degree to get onto the MA Social Work in TCD, or in any campus really. Social work is highly competitive and there is a massive demand for the places on the courses, so you will need the Hons degree, as well as a minimum 2.2 (some colleges need a 2.1). You can always contact the college to be extra sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BodyofaBuddah

You would have to do the 4 years and have the honours degree. You'll need an hons degree to go on to do any MA course really. The social work course is really tough to get onto. Social policy is on the syllabus for the first 2/3 years in Carlow. Can't remember if we did it last year for the full year or if it was just a half module.

The 2.2 is down to how well you do and tbh if you put in any bit of effort at all it's not that hard to achieve but obviously if that's the minimum then you'd want to be aiming for as high as possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

TCD do offer a 'conversion social policy course' over the summer before the MA begins however I think is is more for students with liberal arts or psychology backgrounds as social policy is covered, in depth in all social care/studies/science undergrad courses.

It's a long road but if you really want it then it is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭CylonYoda

Thanks for the replies.

The only thing that has me wondering is wether or not the soicla policy covered in carlow it and their wexford campus is done in the detail that will be required for progressing into social work.

This is the last thing that has me a bit concerened. So if anybody can shed some light on it, that would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 BodyofaBuddah

I haven't looked into the social work requirements but I do know that one of the women who graduated last year from Carlow has got a place on the social work course in September in Trinity so they were obviously happy enough with what she did?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Christinalit

Limerick institute of technology seems to be the best provider of this course as they provide a very high standards of theoretical work and placement over the four years!! their graduates are very highly regarded!!icon7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭CylonYoda

I haven't looked into the social work requirements but I do know that one of the women who graduated last year from Carlow has got a place on the social work course in September in Trinity so they were obviously happy enough with what she did?

Do you know if it was the main Carlow IT campus or their Wexford campus?

Advertisement