Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Countdown controversy

Options
  • 22-04-2011 3:53pm

I feel last years countdown ended rather prematurely on Christmas Eve. What do other people think? Although technically it was correct it seemed kind of wrong. Maybe this year the countdown will not include the hours left and add an extra day?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I know it's technically '0 Days, 23 Hours, 59 Seconds' at midnight on the 24th December, but I hated last years countdown.
    I would add the extra day, getting to "ZERO DAYS, YIPPEEEE!" when it was actually just Christmas eve was a big anticlimax. :(

Posy wrote: »
    I know it's technically '0 Days, 23 Hours, 59 Seconds' at midnight on the 24th December, but I hated last years countdown.
    I would add the extra day, getting to "ZERO DAYS, YIPPEEEE!" when it was actually just Christmas eve was a big anticlimax. :(
    I agree. I was an ardent exponent of the "zero days 23 hours" way until last Xmas Eve when I felt a little cheated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Yeah totally agree! I'm going to make many posts this year :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭i124Q

xmas is overrated..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

i124Q wrote: »
    xmas is overrated..

Tis the best time of year mein freund.

Is it wrong that I just listened to Stop The Calavry?

Ahhh whatever....what a tune :)

Bring on Christmas 2011!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Can I be really controversial and start a Christmas countdown now??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Did I black out and suddenly it's October? Seriously, it's MAY!!!!!!

Hold off on the countdowns FFS! :P :P :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Did I black out and suddenly it's October? Seriously, it's MAY!!!!!!

Hold off on the countdowns FFS! :P :P :)

No!!! We MUST start the countdown NOW!!:D:pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

It's never too early to start a Christmas countdown :D

And I agree that we were off by a day last time. It was mentioned a few times in the thread, but at that stage it was too late...would have been like going back in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Can I be really controversial and start a Christmas countdown now??

Did you not already start the countdown at 302,:) on the Christmas out of season section so you may as well start it on this section too.Just my opinion,anyone else think she deserves to?????????????????:D

• Advertisement

Mods, I hope ye don't mind but I am going to start a Countdown thread. Feel free to close it, if you like.
    I know people will say it's too early, but mostly people in the Christmas forum will welcome it (I hope!)

BTW I may not get to the thread every day but will post.

Mods, I hope ye don't mind but I am going to start a Countdown thread. Feel free to close it, if you like.
    I know people will say it's too early, but mostly people in the Christmas forum will welcome it (I hope!)

I think it's a terrible idea. It's the same kind of lunacy as keeping your tree up all year round.....it devalues Christmas when it actually comes around. There's no novelty at Christmas then.

I think it's a terrible idea. It's the same kind of lunacy as keeping your tree up all year round.....it devalues Christmas when it actually comes around. There's no novelty at Christmas then.

I think about Christmas a bit, but it doesn't take over my life. At the moment I am enjoying seeing everything growing in the garden and the extra long evenings (both of which cease at Christmastime).
    It's just a bit of fun to have a Christmas countdown now.
    I have a little wooden tree in my kitchen that seems to be used for all celebrations (all my Christmas decorations are in the wardrobe).
    The difference between now and Christmas is that we are inundated with Christmas in December. Now it's just a bit here and there. I don't see how that devalues anything. I'll appreciate Christmas all the more when it comes around because I am only seeing snatches of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

This is the Christmas forum so it's not surprising that people who post here are enthusiastic about Christmas. It's not going to de-value anything, there's nothing making anyone see the thread who doesn't want to see it.

This is the Christmas forum so it's not surprising that people who post here are enthusiastic about Christmas. It's not going to de-value anything, there's nothing making anyone see the thread who doesn't want to see it.
    Well it's my opinion and I am entitled to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

And, I am entitled to keep my tree up all year round, and my lights, and my decorations and anything else I choose at any time of the year either in or out of season.In my house Christmas is never devalued,no more than any other festive celebration...I am also entitled to live my life as I see fit,providing I am not harming anyone.There is enough prejudiced and nastiness,in the world without dragging Christmas into it....Since when was it a crime to put a smile on peoples faces....Why are you on the Christmas forum in may?? when you think it is lunacy to de-value Christmas outside of DECEMBER,it sounds like trolling to me.Mind you this is just my opinion and I am entitled to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I feel last years countdown ended rather prematurely on Christmas Eve. What do other people think? Although technically it was correct it seemed kind of wrong. Maybe this year the countdown will not include the hours left and add an extra day?

Coraline Attractive Llama, you can Pm the mod who started the Countdown thread with your complaint.

Can you hold off until the actual Christmas Countdown begins.:pac:

I hear what you are saying and I do agree with you, Christmas is .........Christmas, and the shorter the build up the better

But it is the Christmas Forum usually posted in Nov/Dec.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to keep the peace I am closing this thread, after all this is the month of May.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement