Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing masking tape with petrol

• 22-04-2011 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi
    I have just read a few posts about similar ordeals to my own and I don't feel so stupid now.
    We got our new windows into our house a while ago and even as I was putting the masking tape on the windows to protect them from the render, I was a little scared at the thought of the masking tape sticking to the windows. Should have read the posts here first or at least listened to my inner voice!
    Anyhow, went about cleaning the horrible sticky stuff off today and I was almost in tears. It was a soul-destroying job. We rang the guy who put in the windows (I was waiting for a telling-off which I think we deserve) but he told us that petrol was the job and that it was okay to use on the windows.
    We did a little until I decided it was enough for one day. I'm going to go at it again tomorrow. I'm a little nervous about the petrol and I'm just wondering if anybody else has used it before and what were their experiences? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

How long did you leave it on for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 firsttimebuild

Oh it's been a while now, maybe two months...eek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

white spirits might be better
    less of a smell and less dangerous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 firsttimebuild

why less dangerous? Was going to wear a mask :p to lessen the inhalation of the fumes. Just want to be sure it won't ruin my windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

why less dangerous? Was going to wear a mask :p to lessen the inhalation of the fumes. Just want to be sure it won't ruin my windows.

unless the mask has carbon filters to remove the fumes then ..

petrol is v volatile and dangerous and if it ignites your moniker might be lasttimebuild

The petrol is not good for the rubber seals and will shorten the life therof

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Use a blade to clear off tape if sticking badly but be careful not to scratch surface of glass then use metholated spirits or surgical spirits to deal with the sticky stuff. Might be cheaper than petrol :) You will get in a chemist and might have to sign a book (poison!) and say why you want it for the meths. I have also found those white cleaning sponges (available various places Aldi, Euro shop etc) good for clearing sticky stuff also.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

You could try rubbing alcohol which you can get in a chemist or acetone again from a chemist but test it first are the frames upvc

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Isopropyl alcohol is probably much better for cleaning glass than the above solvents.
    Less likely to do serious damage compared to acetone.

Also use something like an old credit card instead of a metal blade as a scraper.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

5uspect wrote: »
    Isopropyl alcohol is probably much better for cleaning glass than the above solvents.

Also use something like an old credit card instead of a metal blade as a scraper.

Agreed acetone and petrol would be a last resort Isopropyl alcohol is = rubbing alcohol = surgical spirit etc

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Feardorca

Hi
    I have just read a few posts about similar ordeals to my own and I don't feel so stupid now.
    We got our new windows into our house a while ago and even as I was putting the masking tape on the windows to protect them from the render, I was a little scared at the thought of the masking tape sticking to the windows. Should have read the posts here first or at least listened to my inner voice!
    Anyhow, went about cleaning the horrible sticky stuff off today and I was almost in tears. It was a soul-destroying job. We rang the guy who put in the windows (I was waiting for a telling-off which I think we deserve) but he told us that petrol was the job and that it was okay to use on the windows.
    We did a little until I decided it was enough for one day. I'm going to go at it again tomorrow. I'm a little nervous about the petrol and I'm just wondering if anybody else has used it before and what were their experiences? :confused:
    Commiserations ! I had a similar problem with the residue from DUCT tape and tried everything under the sun, untill an old sage suggested WD 40 and it worked a treat, it was the only thing that worked. Please try it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

5uspect wrote: »

+1 to the above.

Its so good that its used in the IT industry for cleaning and also polishing fibre optic cables when making off/splicing fibre ends and attaching the fibre pig tails to the minute glass strands in the fibre optic cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

if the windows are WHITE pvc you can use the cleaner for expanding foam gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

This Stuff is brilliant for removing gunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

30 years ago my dad used to use Duraglit to remove the gum left behind from sticky labels. It comes in a tin as a wadding, which is convenient. I haven't seen Duraglit in a while, but you can easily get Brasso, which does the same thing. (I regularly use it for de-gumming)

Advertisement