Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious barking problem

• 22-04-2011 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi all, a little while ago I asked for help on this forum in relation crate training and it's worked out brilliantly! Thanks to all for the tips. But now, we have a new problem. Out 8 month old terrier cross just will not stop barking and jumping at the gate at anyone who comes anywhere near the house. He's very friendly and means well but a couple of kids have got a fright and we can't just ignore it. He's not a big dog but has a very loud deep bark(must be the bit of lab in his daddy. We have a 4 week old daughter now and he keeps waking her up as well. I was going to muzzle him for a few minutes each time he barks at someone to see if it would put him off but I would like to know if anyone else has any ideas. I'm not wasting money on an anti barking collar cos I know loads of people who have tried them and they never worked. Please help. Thanks all...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭biscuiteater

you could swap him for my dog, i'd love him to do that. he's the strong silent type.

did you try your pet shop for collars that spray if they bark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Congrats on the baby! :)

I have a similar thing with my dog who'll be 2 in June. He's generally fine but there's the odd person he'll decide he doesn't like and had no probs telling them! We pass by an old lady everyday which he is fine with - the man who walks down the road with her is a different story - he goes mental and it's really embarassing. What I've been doing when I see them is distract him with a "look!!" commands and rewarding him (so click, praise and treat) as we pass so over the course of week we've gone from him going balastic and me dragging him down the road to this evening where he just gave one bark. :D
    At home he'll bark if there's strangers out the back (our neighbors are always getting work done) so again I'll distract him and get him to focus on me instead of whats going on around him. I don't mind him giving a couple of barks tbh - he's guarding the house which is what we want - but if he goes mad barking then I step in and distract him.
    So for you guy I'd teach him the look/watch me command if he doesn't know it already inside without any distractions and then take it outside as people are passing and loads of praise when he gets it right.
    eg : http://www.dognation.net/dog-training/obedience-training/obedience-training-look.php

Advertisement