Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good bar/pub for a Friday night date

Options
  • 22-04-2011 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭

Ok so I'm coming up to Galway on Friday night for a date with a very nice girl. In my time in Galway I only ended up at the rowdier pubs. Where would be a good spot to get a reasonably quiet drink on a Friday night? Not a place thats stuffed to the rafters with music so loud you cant hear but not a dead place either.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They are all closed today Chris so I recommend a quiet burger joint :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

NEXT Friday Spongey I'd be a poor show if I was only deciding where to go 3 hours before the date :D

Oh good, no students around for a change.....lots of stags and hens instead. Hard one to call so.

To avoid these idiots I would generally stay down west of a friday and try Massimos or the Blue Note myself for music +chat instead of music or chat ...sometimes Monroes or the Róisín even though the latter pair are not always 'quiet' . Bierhouse is a tad laddish not that I mind :)

Maguires is a deadzone, atmosphere wise. Across from Monroes if it gets noisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Loads of students still around. Majority won't be finished till mid-May.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

+1 for Massimos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Oh good, no students around for a change.....lots of stags and hens instead. Hard one to call so.

To avoid these idiots I would generally stay down west of a friday and try Massimos or the Blue Note myself for music +chat instead of music or chat ...sometimes Monroes or the Róisín even though the latter pair are not always 'quiet' . Bierhouse is a tad laddish not that I mind :)

Maguires is a deadzone, atmosphere wise. Across from Monroes if it gets noisy.
    Do you mean McGuires which is now a body building shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Salthouse is good for a laid back atmosphere with proper good beers!:)

Do you mean McGuires which is now a body building shop?
    I did, missed the changeover too so I did. Still a feed of steroids can make one feel like jigging the jiggy so it wasn't entirely wrong advice in hindsight. Least I didn't recommend Dirty Dicks eh! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nottherealdeal

The Townhouse down by the Spanish Arch would be perfect.. Nice atomsphere, good background music great location especially if you meet in Eyre Square and stroll down shop st. Never gets too busy either!!

Is the Townhouse right next to the Spanish arch by Tamarind etc or is it up closer to the Jurys carpark? Cant seem to remember where it was (drink induced) and cant find it on Street View.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Might I suggest Salthill? The Oslo serves great food and fantastic beer (including their own house brewed beers). Plenty of space and great atmosphere.

And if you are still around the next day... The Oslo hosts the Galway Beer Festival - Brewers on the Bay.
    More info here as well.

Surely someone in Galway knows better than Google/OSM where the Townhouse is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nottherealdeal

you're right about the location of the Townhouse, it's across the road from Tamarind and just a few yards away from Jurys inn..at the end of Quay street, when Jurys in on you're right you take a left and the Town house is directly on your left. Its hard to exactly describe it but once you're down by Jurys/Tamaring you cant miss it!

http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=spanish+arch+galway&ie=UTF8&hq=spanish+arch&hnear=Galway,+County+Galway&ll=53.270327,-9.054027&spn=0.001575,0.004823&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.270404,-9.054174&panoid=5tt7irF44OgMJet_aG1c2g&cbp=12,20.03,,0,-5.38

just behind the white van!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Claregalway123

hostys in bothermore

Heres another question. Given the weather, what good beer gardens would ye recommend? Seems a pity to be inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slick89

Definitey recommend O connells in eyre square. Lovely spot out the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

there's a beer garden in Jury's. only ever go to that bar on a sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

It's not quite a beer garden but ya couldn't get much better than sitting outside neachtain's on a sunny day watching the world go by!

I got stood up, after all that :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I got stood up, after all that :cool:

Get ye to Kelly's then. Tá lán cailíní álainn ansin. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Feccc that wasn't very nice. Did you have far to travel? :eek: Wow, that's pretty horrible actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I think The Cottage is a nice pub for a date. It's got a relaxed atmosphere and good food.

Advertisement