Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat's obsession with the bin

• 22-04-2011 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭

This is a new one. Two of the three cats have decided that they will overturn the bin in the utility room every day and have a rummage through it.
    It's not as if we're starving the feckers but they seem intent on removing the empty Felix pouches, slashing them to pieces and licking them clean.
    The other day we got home and found the (meagre) remnants of a chicken carcass that we had seemingly stripped clean and then wrapped tightly in kitchen foil. :rolleyes:

They've never done this in all the time we've had them but it seems to be a new thing.
    Shredding the parts of the bin liner that are visible is another tactic.

Anything I can spray on it that might deter them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I recommend a decent bin with a lid. Deterrants do little when there's the prospect of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Try putting something heavy in the bottom of the bin.

We had the same problem years ago with a springer spaniel. My dad put a concrete block in the bottom and the dog couldn't knock it over, the dog then gave up trying after a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

try locking the cat in the bin for a day or two and see if that works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Try leaving the scraps out the back door for the cat instead of placing them in the bin. If the cat refuses to eat the scraps it will attract rats, the cat will then eat the rats. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Maybe try smearing something like lemon juice along the top, the smell might deter them for a while but I would imagine you'd need to keep applying it for it to work.
    Best bet is to stop putting the pouches and irresistable smelly things like chicken carcasses in the bin and if that doesn't work look into getting one of those foot pedal bins, there expensive but Im sure it's better than cleaning rubbish off the floor every day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Is it the food they're after or are they just bored.
    If bored sure if they weren't at the bin they'd be scratching your table leg or getting up to some other form of mischief

Any toys? Or kick them outside for a few hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Maybe they've worms and are extra hungry. Worms can make a cat act a bit mental as well (non scientific observation only that last bit).

Sounds more like they're bored though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Overature wrote: »
    try locking the cat in the bin for a day or two and see if that works

Have a warning for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

They are doing what most animals do: hunting and forraging and scavenging for food.

Animals will be animals!

Could you put your bin up on the kitchen counter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Could you put your bin up on the kitchen counter?

Yes but the scamps jump up on the counter anyway! :D

The bin is a decent bin with a lid but they've figured out how to lever the lid off!
    I guess we'll just have to try and get a pedal bin.

Regarding toys .... the house is littered with them. They're spoiled rotten. I have a feeling it's attention-whoring.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, folks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement