Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best eye piece to get

Options
  • 22-04-2011 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

What is the best eye piece for my celestron 130 EQ?? will the barlow lens make a huge difference??

What more will i see with it.

I really want to see saturn but have yet to actually get the scope properly
    Trained on it!!! Very annoying!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

An 8mm would be good for Saturn. If you want to look at the likes of the Orion Nebulae I would recommend a 25mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

In basic agreement with Plug.

From experience I found this 6.4 Meade 4000 Super Plossl (Can't believe the price :eek: I paid nearly double :( )

The eyepiece that gave me the clearest high magnifaction on my Astromaster 130EQ. (eg. for Planets)

I would probably go for this 26mm Meade 4000 for widefield.

The great thing about these eyepieces is that they are still among my most used now that I've upgraded to an 8" scope :)

A good 2x or 2.5x Barlow is a good investment.

But bear in mind that the Astromater 130 will only be usable up to about 160x magnification.

So.....to go with Plug's 8mm recommendation and a 2x Barlow you'll have:

162.6x

Which I found fine on good nights.

With the 6.4 you'll be up over 200x....depending on your location and viewing conditions this could be fine.

With your stock 10mm and a 2x Barlow you'll get 130x.
    Or 162.5 with a 2.5x Barlow.

You can use the Ocular module in Stellarium to simulate the views you'll get with each of the above combinations.

Clear skies,
    Peter

Advertisement