Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Lads having the Bants

Options
  • 22-04-2011 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hows it. Myself and 5 other lads ( all of us are 19 ) are guna be hitching around the coast in the summer and are gunna need some fields to camp in around the country. We also are looking for people to show us around their towns ( Take us to good drinking spots etc. ). Basicly we are looking to meet new people and have the bants. Even if we could use your toilet it would cool. Let me know if you would be willing.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

5 grown men hitching around Ireland?

Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 thomascullen

i wouldn't necessarily call us grown men but we have hope that it'l work out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Sounds like fun and best of luck with it,sure why not,but isn't hitch-hiking illegal in Ireland or something?

only on major roads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Fair play lads, I'd love to do something like that just not in Ireland! One problem I see is the chance of someone stopping for a hitch hiker in Ireland is slim, the chance of them stopping for 6 teenage male hitch hikers is even slimmer and the chances of them driving a car capable of taking you all (the majority of irish cars only take 4 passengers) is probly zero!! I'd allow plenty of time for the trip if I was ye!! Other then that enjoy!!

• Advertisement

I should have gave more detail on this.. the plan is to split into 3 teams of 2. because no way would we get picked up in a group of 6! and we chose ireland because its the cheapest at the moment because we don't have to get flights or anything like that. Also we chose hitching rather than renting a van and driving because it will be difficult and we may have to walk the most of it.. but that'l just add to the trip so we don't mind.

I should have gave more detail on this.. the plan is to split into 3 teams of 2. because no way would we get picked up in a group of 6! and we chose ireland because its the cheapest at the moment because we don't have to get flights or anything like that. Also we chose hitching rather than renting a van and driving because it will be difficult and we may have to walk the most of it.. but that'l just add to the trip so we don't mind.

So whats the plan like where do you begin and hope to finish?

Plan is to go from kilmacanogue in Bray, Co.Wicklow and all the way back around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Even if we could use your toilet it would cool. Let me know if you would be willing.

No, not cool.

Also, I've no idea what 'bants' means. :rolleyes:

No, not cool.

Also, I've no idea what 'bants' means. :rolleyes:

Banter?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

To be honest, this is quite possibly the dumbest idea I've ever heard. How many people are going to stop for 2 lads on the side of the road? And you expect 3 different drivers to do it? It's just not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

It all sounds half-baked and a bit grim tbh but at 19, random madness and associated mistakes can be character building.

OP, in the 60's it was popular for guys your age to hitch down to Morocco for sun, sex & smoke.

Bit more exotic than borris in ossory on a wet Tuesday in July.

To be honest, this is quite possibly the dumbest idea I've ever heard. How many people are going to stop for 2 lads on the side of the road? And you expect 3 different drivers to do it? It's just not going to happen.

Maybe not,but i hope they have a plan B like give it a go for a week and if it dont work out then get buses trains etc,i personally wouldn't do it but best of luck to them they will need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cescbomb

I'm sure once the lads are having the bants it'll all be fine. Also, any activity that involves leaving Bray should be applauded.

@MagicMarker I don't care if you think that. I hitched accross galway once a week for 2 months last year and that was in ****ing conemara, not everyone is SNIP like yourself. And for the whole plan B idea.. we are hardly guna just sit around doing nothing.. at least we are getting out and around the country rather than spending our summer inside. Even if we do end up walking the country.. that will be fun aswell. as long as we get out and meet people its guna be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

If you have nothing constructive to add please don't post.

OP, go for it! You'll probably find it tough going, but you'll have some stories! If you are going to look for someone to allow you pitch tents on their land, have the good sense to leave the place spotless and offer to do something in return.

No point in me offering my loo, I'm in Greystones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 peadar1987

Six lads hitching around Ireland together, going into the toilets, pitching tents? Very dodgy! And that's before they offer to "do something in return"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Why dont yous rent a boat on the shannon or ask one of your mothers can you borrow her car?

I can see how standing at the side of the road for 4 hours trying to get a car to stop may seem like fun, but i'd say it would get extremely tedious by day 2.

Whats your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

might be of some use

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=274473

If ye are serious about it, ye could try and set up a thread here and arrange lifts. Otherwise it would probably be a bit boring standing on one roadside or another for hours on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Hows it. Myself and 5 other lads ( all of us are 19 ) are guna be hitching around the coast in the summer and are gunna need some fields to camp in around the country. We also are looking for people to show us around their towns ( Take us to good drinking spots etc. ). Basicly we are looking to meet new people and have the bants. Even if we could use your toilet it would cool. Let me know if you would be willing.

Pm sent. Whats the bants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

You might want to give CouchSurfing a try. Not for accommodation as the chance of finding someone willing to host 6 lads is zero... but there are many people on CouchSurfing who have no couch available but are happy to meet up with those traveling through their town for a coffee/beer/night out, show them the local sights, take them to parties and so on. This could be a good way for you to find locals along your route.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 byrnef

Fair play to you lads. Its a gutsy thing to try. There are a lot of negative people out there, but some of them have valid points. Even if your trip doesn't go to plan, it will give you (hopefully good) memories of a lifetime. Did some similar things when i was younger. PM me if you decide to stop around the Balbriggan, North Co Dublin Area. Best of luck with your journey.

Had a look at couch surfing and got in contact with a few people. We dont really see this as standing at the side of the road. I have hitched many times and the 6 of us hitched around Galway last year no problem. We obviously know people around the country so we wont always be in tents. we want to avoid having to take public transport or pay for transport, however we have the cash to do so if need be.

Advertisement