Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Do I Transfer All My PC Stuff Onto A 1TB Drive ?

Options
  • 22-04-2011 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

I have a legit Windows 7 Home Premium install complete with dvd ,how do I transfer over everything (about 400GB including a big Steam account) to a new 1TB hdd ?Whats the order of the procedures ?Presumably if I have the same 7 installed on two hdds Microsoft may cry foul and blacklist the serial number .I want to avoid this and any other hassle .Thanks .

PS Added complication/issue I have the Windows 7 on a separate 50GB partition on the approx 320GB hdd Im currently using.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the easiest way would be to install the new hard drive into your pc alongside the old one and clone it over to the new one
    there are many cloning software programs but they can be expensive like Ghost or Acronis but there is a good free one called PING

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

There's also Clonezilla. You need to put it on USB or disc and boot from it. It's a basic interface but a powerful program. Just make sure that you don't clone them the wrong way around (i.e., write over your files)!

IMO - clone the 50GB partition to your new drive. Then extend it in windows or do whatever you want and manually copy over the rest of the files that you want to keep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 InsightTech

To keep all your steam files, copy the steam apps folder across to a different drive, When you have reinstalled the O/S just copy the steam apps folder back.

This should save a lot of downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭joe2687

Also a very good program I've started using recently is Snapshot

http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/intro.htm

It takes an image of your hard drive, and is very easy to restore onto a new hard drive, even if it's a different size. I've had trouble in the past with ghost and acronis imaging to different size HDDs.

I mostly use it for backups to be honest, and the free trial version allows you to map and explore the contents of your saved image.

Advertisement