Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bank of Ireland Graduate Programme

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 1andonly2

Has anyone heard back from BOI for the risk stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Eoghan41

Hey everyone. So obviously I'm delighted that I got offered the role in corporate and treasury and with my degree in economics and finance I've got an idea of what's involved but I was wondering if I enjoy maths and stats, I would be better suited to pursuing a career in analytics as I have a conditional offer for the MSc in business analytics in smurfit. I'm really grappling with this decision and would love some people to weigh on this and if other people are having to make similar decisions, how they are deciding. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cakes4

Ho Eoghan41,

I'm starting in Group Finance this year. My background is a Commerce degree with Accounting masters. I believe that the C&T programme is only an average programme from what I've heard. I have two friends in Global Markets (fair enough it might be a rejigged programme this year) and they said that it is not the exciting job that they signed up for.

To be honest if I were you I'd certainly at least consider the Business Analytics masters, it's an extremely sought after degree, its probably worth checking the % of graduates that successfully gained employment through it, I imagine the whole class did. I have a friend who did a similar programme in the UK and is now working for McKinsey and Co. he was working in Korea recently for a week!! The opportunities are endless as data is becoming central to everything and is will becoming increasingly relevant in all decision making processes going forward. Companies like the strategy consultancies (the MBBs), Google, Facebook, SAS, Goldman Sachs etc all require these types of people - and these are the exciting companies in the world, doing the best work.

Although I am happy to be employed come September I regret doing Accounting now as I feel I have limited my future options. If I had my time back I would have either done the Business Analytics masters in Smurfit or else looking to do the Management Consultancy masters, both will help you develop highly sought after and transferrable skill sets.

I would say that the BoI is not looking to be a fantastic place to work going forward, expect pay freezes and benefit cut backs!

Anyway, that's my two cents!! I'd be interested to know what you do so please update the forum. I'd also welcome other peoples opinions on this. Anyone know of someone who has completed the course?

But hey if you do start in September I'll see you then.

cakes4 wrote: »
    Ho Eoghan41,

I'm starting in Group Finance this year. My background is a Commerce degree with Accounting masters. I believe that the C&T programme is only an average programme from what I've heard. I have two friends in Global Markets (fair enough it might be a rejigged programme this year) and they said that it is not the exciting job that they signed up for.

To be honest if I were you I'd certainly at least consider the Business Analytics masters, it's an extremely sought after degree, its probably worth checking the % of graduates that successfully gained employment through it, I imagine the whole class did. I have a friend who did a similar programme in the UK and is now working for McKinsey and Co. he was working in Korea recently for a week!! The opportunities are endless as data is becoming central to everything and is will becoming increasingly relevant in all decision making processes going forward. Companies like the strategy consultancies (the MBBs), Google, Facebook, SAS, Goldman Sachs etc all require these types of people - and these are the exciting companies in the world, doing the best work.

Although I am happy to be employed come September I regret doing Accounting now as I feel I have limited my future options. If I had my time back I would have either done the Business Analytics masters in Smurfit or else looking to do the Management Consultancy masters, both will help you develop highly sought after and transferrable skill sets.

I would say that the BoI is not looking to be a fantastic place to work going forward, expect pay freezes and benefit cut backs!

Anyway, that's my two cents!! I'd be interested to know what you do so please update the forum. I'd also welcome other peoples opinions on this. Anyone know of someone who has completed the course?

But hey if you do start in September I'll see you then.

Thanks for the imput Cakes! It's a really huge decision I've to make as currently, due to a combination of the government subsidy and personal circumstances, I could do the course for free. Could I ask where you did your undergrad? I believe it to be such a big decision as I think I'm basically choosing whether or not I'll be doing pure finance or more of a background role with the analytics. As a matter or curiosity, why do you think cuts are coming? From reading Dan O'Brien in the times amongst other macroeconomic articles, it seems that if Europe is able to get past this financial slump with no more ugly surprises from Greece or Italy and the UK exports stay strong, along with the fact the austerity will be lessened with the prom notes deal, Ireland is now seriously beginning to turn the corner(although I'm aware that that has been claimed before). With that I would expect BOI to return to profitability within 2 years and so I would be surprised if what you said occurs but what are your sources for that? What deterred you from doing the Business Analytics and made you choose Accounting?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Jonnylomax

Eoghan - The free Masters - Could it be the case that in 2 years time (at the end of our initial temporary contracts) it would still be free?

My initial plan is that depending on how I find myself positioned in 2 years, I'll either be offered a permanent position in BOI or else I'll have enough saved up to do an MBA in Smurfit, then take that and my QFAs from BOI and my 2 years (of what I'd regard as top class training) and attack the corporate ladder then. You decision is as it seems to me is; do I take a graduate job that my heart really isn't in, but would be great experience and training, or do I take advantage of a 'free' Masters in what I really want to do, at one of the best business schools in the world.

Do you think you could get work straight out of the Masters in your preferred field? If not, I'd take BOI, do the 2 years training in Corp and Treas, get your QFAs then do your Masters if thats what you still want to do. As far as I'm concerned BOI Corp and Treas training is just too good to turn down, and I've a few choices on the table. However for you, a Msc from Smurfit in what you really like is very tempting at the same time.

I'd disagree with the other poster in terms of cutbacks etc. BOI is the best capitalised bank in Europe, is down to 15% Gov ownership, can offer a dividend from 2015 and is so well positioned for a strong recovery, I'd almost initiate a position in their shares. I think we're lucky to be beginning with them now tbh

Again more great insight thanks Jonny. This is exactly my problem. Both yourself and cakes make great points and its really that we are all unaware of the training/benefits that BOI will provide which is difficult to predict. I talked to my career advisor yesterday. She advised BOI because of their training, they keep their grads, etc. But how do you know that they do provide "great experience and training"??? It's not an attack on you, I just must be more ignorant than you as I would not be aware, for example, if BOI provides superior training than say AIB or KBC. It's not that my heart is not in it, it's just I have no idea what the work will entail exactly and don't know if I would be good at it whereas I've always been proficient with maths which seems to be more central in analytics. With regards to work after the masters, it seems that graduates, as Cakes said above are in high demand, so I would not be too worried about getting work. The problem would be if I could find work better than with BOI, which as you said, we are "we're lucky to be beginning with them now tbh". Its a really tough call and I really appreciate your imput so thanks!! As a matter of interest, who are the other offers with?

Would rather not go into that kind of detail here, PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cp_mcg

@Eoghan41 how about doing the business analytics masters part-time over 2 years?

That way at the end of your contract you'll have good experience and a masters

cp_mcg wrote: »
    @Eoghan41 how about doing the business analytics masters part-time over 2 years?

That way at the end of your contract you'll have good experience and a masters
    That's what I thought I should do at first but:
    1. I wont receive a grant in that instance
    2. I hear life outside of work/college is all but non-existent for part timers
    3. I doubt BOI would be keen for me to leave early twice a week to pursue a masters not exactly relevant to the job their employing me for.
    Though good experience and a masters sounds great in theory!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

How is a masters with UCD free ?

Having a masters will open the door to better opportunities than working in BOI or any other bank Irish state owned back.

There's no gurantee than Europe mess will be sorted out by 2014/2015.

I myself was pondering if I can do a full time masters and work a full time job at the same time a question which I have not answered.

You can always defer your place in BOI for a year till you get your masters done but doing so will open so many opportunities better than BOI.

And who knows if you might decide that working with BOI is not what you want again.

Some who applied to BOI/AIB or the big 4 are using it as a fall back - with the attitude that if all else fails I've gotten an offer from BOI.

Just know with that masters done prob of you getting a job is V.high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 keller87

Jonnylomax wrote: »
    Eoghan - The free Masters - Could it be the case that in 2 years time (at the end of our initial temporary contracts) it would still be free?

My initial plan is that depending on how I find myself positioned in 2 years, I'll either be offered a permanent position in BOI or else I'll have enough saved up to do an MBA in Smurfit, then take that and my QFAs from BOI and my 2 years (of what I'd regard as top class training) and attack the corporate ladder then. You decision is as it seems to me is; do I take a graduate job that my heart really isn't in, but would be great experience and training, or do I take advantage of a 'free' Masters in what I really want to do, at one of the best business schools in the world.

Do you think you could get work straight out of the Masters in your preferred field? If not, I'd take BOI, do the 2 years training in Corp and Treas, get your QFAs then do your Masters if thats what you still want to do. As far as I'm concerned BOI Corp and Treas training is just too good to turn down, and I've a few choices on the table. However for you, a Msc from Smurfit in what you really like is very tempting at the same time.

I'd disagree with the other poster in terms of cutbacks etc. BOI is the best capitalised bank in Europe, is down to 15% Gov ownership, can offer a dividend from 2015 and is so well positioned for a strong recovery, I'd almost initiate a position in their shares. I think we're lucky to be beginning with them now tbh

Dear All,

I will briefly explain my point of view on this grad prog.

I have two masters: one in management and one in finance from Uni of Leeds and a couple of internship: one in a major european bank and another in the M&A team of a primary insurance broker.

I would consider BOI as a first choice, I do agree with Jonnylomax that BOI will get back, hopefully soon to their best times.

I can understand that it is still challenging, but I do think its worth.

Hope to see you all in September.

Hi Keller,
    Do you feel that without the masters degrees that you earned you would be not be willing to go into this job as you wouldn't have as rounded an education? Or were the masters just a means by which to get in to a big bank?

Eoghan41 wrote: »
    Hi Keller,
    Do you feel that without the masters degrees that you earned you would be not be willing to go into this job as you wouldn't have as rounded an education? Or were the masters just a means by which to get in to a big bank?

I do think that job market now is so competitive and a master of course would give you a plus. On the other hand, it is better to have relevant work experience first. I think I've got the job because of my experience in the big bank rather than the master.

My advice is to get the job if you are 99% sure, because if you are not, than it would be tough to face it everyday!

;)

Thanks for the Advice Keller! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cakes4

Hi Eoghan41,

I did a commerce degree, and then accounting masters.

I don't think there will be pay cuts, but pay freezes...I think that you might get bumped up from 28k to 29.5k IF you are kept on after the initial 2 year period...but the bank of ireland benefits package will differ from what previous graduates will have got I would imagine.

Also, if you can get a free masters I would have thought you would definitely avail of the situation tbh...who knows what measures will be put in place in the coming years by the Gov. and also it may be hard to leave the working world when you get used to the money!! A lot of people with the best intentions do not go back to education.

The QFAs also, while are OK, are certainly not a great qualification to have being honest. There are not the CFA qualification. You will find that these are considered taken for granted after time in the bank, as opposed to an asset, when applying for other jobs down the road.

My advice would be to cetainly avail of any grant to can get, and study for one of the best masters degrees in the country, with that in your back pocket coming into an improved economy in 12 months time *touch wood* will give you more opportunities.

If not see ya in September!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dacentfeen

Hi guys,

I got offered Corporate and Treasury today but turned it down! I would have accepted it gladly a couple of days back but I got another offer from Deloitte Consulting yesterday which I was thrilled with. Think it is a better role with more variety in the work and better exit opportunities I hope anyway!!

Best of luck to everyone no matter what they plan to do

@Eoghan I reckon a free/subsidised masters is the way to go personally not an easy decision to make though

dacentfeen wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I got offered Corporate and Treasury today but turned it down! I would have accepted it gladly a couple of days back but I got another offer from Deloitte Consulting yesterday which I was thrilled with. Think it is a better role with more variety in the work and better exit opportunities I hope anyway!!

@Eoghan I reckon a free/subsidised masters is the way to go personally not an easy decision to make though

Well i called them anyway with the question of me either deferring for a year or with the possibility of leaving work an hour or so early twice a week but they were simply saying no! Congrats dacent thats a great job to have landed so kudos!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭armbruster

dacentfeen wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Did Deloitte Consulting only close recently? I thought all those programmes were done in October for the next year? I assume applications are closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dacentfeen

Hi

@armbruster Deloitte Consulting London.

Thanks @Eoghan41 ! Ya I wouldn't have thought they would have been flexible with that arrangement but fair play for chancing it anyway!!

• Advertisement

Okay, did anyone who applied for a position in the UK hear back? Maybe they're leaving them until the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 readyforit

Hi guys has anybody nt heard of anything yet caz I certainly havn't. I had an AC for risk.

Were those who wer accepted informed by email or telephone and are they phoning people who'v been rejected.

Any info much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

I was in for C&T on the 18th. Haven't heard anything yet. They said all candidates will be contacted by telephone, whether successful or unsuccessful, so you should get a call at some stage.

Slippers wrote: »
    I was in for C&T on the 18th. Haven't heard anything yet. They said all candidates will be contacted by telephone, whether successful or unsuccessful, so you should get a call at some stage.
    Hey slippers, I was in on the 18th also. How did the interview go for you? I thought mine was dreadful.

My feeling is I did well in the interview, the presentation and the shapes test and not so well in the write-up and the group exercise. But just because there wasn't a lot of excruciating silence (like some more technical interviews I've had) doesn't mean they liked what I had to say. :pac:

My feeling is I did well in the interview, the presentation and the shapes test and not so well in the write-up and the group exercise. But just because there wasn't a lot of excruciating silence (like some more technical interviews I've had) doesn't mean they liked what I had to say. :pac:
    At least you could keep talking!..Interviewer," Tell me about a time where you used your initiative?". Me,"...I don't know"...
    Has anyone received their contracts yet? Starting to get worried now! Although I imagine that theyll have to finalise their choices for every stream before they mail them out!?!?

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

is anyone looking for a flat to share in Dublin from the beginning of our grad programme?

Got my voice message this afternoon.

Got my voice message this afternoon.
    Good or bad news?

bad news

bad news
    Sorry to hear man but I'm sure you won't have far to look with all your qualifications!

• Advertisement

It's only 2! The pre-masters doesn't give a qualification and I failed the masters.

It's only 2! The pre-masters doesn't give a qualification and I failed the masters.
    Yeah but it's still more than most including myself! Have you applied to any other grad roles?

No, I'm not sure what to apply for. I just sent off the BoI application one night because it was fairly short and I'll never get anywhere if I don't apply. I was very happy with the BoI process. They contacted rejectees (not everybody does) and they gave feedback. I got:

"...An area of strength for you is definitely your resilience in terms of how you handled the presentation and the questions that were given to you. Where you would require development is giving examples of showing initiative and responsibility and, your ability to influence. So that would be both within the group discussion and coming again from the competency based interview. Your GMA Test score was good it was above average which is quite high and just unfortunately [Slippers] I don't have better news..."

I'd probably get the same from any other grad programme so there must be something else I'm better suited for.

No, I'm not sure what to apply for. I just sent off the BoI application one night because it was fairly short and I'll never get anywhere if I don't apply. I was very happy with the BoI process. They contacted rejectees (not everybody does) and they gave feedback. I got:

"...An area of strength for you is definitely your resilience in terms of how you handled the presentation and the questions that were given to you. Where you would require development is giving examples of showing initiative and responsibility and, your ability to influence. So that would be both within the group discussion and coming again from the competency based interview. Your GMA Test score was good it was above average which is quite high and just unfortunately [Slippers] I don't have better news..."

I'd probably get the same from any other grad programme so there must be something else I'm better suited for.

You know they still haven't contacted me. I did the assessment 4 weeks ago, no reply. I'm guessing I'm well out of the loop, but I'd still like confirmation that I didn't get the job!

armbruster wrote: »
    You know they still haven't contacted me. I did the assessment 4 weeks ago, no reply. I'm guessing I'm well out of the loop, but I'd still like confirmation that I didn't get the job!

I really don't know how it works in there because I'd say most have been called now who are getting jobs. I'd say that you're on the shortlist in case anyone drops out!

Also, since nobodyhas said it yet, are we likely to be hit with a reduction in pay after the gover ment announcement the other day? Has anyone actually got their contracts yet?

Any body get their contracts yet? My referees have yet to be contacted

Jonnylomax wrote: »
    Any body get their contracts yet? My referees have yet to be contacted
    Hey Jonny,
    I haven't got mine yet an starting to get worried now! How do you know that they haven't contacted your referees yet>? Have you been in contact with them or did you contact BOI?

I asked them. Though in fairness, the offer/denial process has been a bit messy. I got an offer the day after the AC finished yet my friend who got as far as online tests at Christmas only just got his 'thanks but no thanks' yesterday!

Yeah my friend was the same..I wonder why it's so all over the place?

• Advertisement

Also, since nobodyhas said it yet, are we likely to be hit with a reduction in pay after the gover ment announcement the other day? Has anyone actually got their contracts yet?

Still no contract, but I think it will be a matter of days.

keller87 wrote: »
    Still no contract, but I think it will be a matter of days.
    Why do you say only a few days?

Why do you say only a few days?

Cuz Joanne told me that they will let us know the start date within the end of march. I don't think it would take too long ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭scholar88

Anybody hear anything from the Actuary department? Over 4 weeks since Assesment Centre and I haven't heard a word!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

scholar88 wrote: »
    Anybody hear anything from the Actuary department? Over 4 weeks since Assesment Centre and I haven't heard a word!:confused:

I applied for Risk and havent heard a thing. I was offered my second choice and informed them of this two weeks ago and still no repsonse. I have signed contracts for my second choice now so being honest very unhappy with there communication process. Bank of Ireland was my first choice and my impressions on the assessment day were very positive of the company however this has been diminished considerably since then. Best of Luck to anyone still waiting and congrats to those who have got positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭blondeybaba

duffman13 wrote: »

I applied for Risk and havent heard a thing. I was offered my second choice and informed them of this two weeks ago and still no repsonse. I have signed contracts for my second choice now so being honest very unhappy with there communication process. Bank of Ireland was my first choice and my impressions on the assessment day were very positive of the company however this has been diminished considerably since then. Best of Luck to anyone still waiting and congrats to those who have got positions.
    When did your contract arrive?

When did your contract arrive?

I think he means for the other company he's been offered a position with..

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭blondeybaba

I think he means for the other company he's been offered a position with..
    My bad :-)

Just got the email for the job offer. Has anyone else?

• Advertisement

Just got the email for the job offer. Has anyone else?
    you mean the email with the contract?

Advertisement