Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law and History?

Options
  • 22-04-2011 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

So, I left TCD in January this year - hated my course, the college...usual story.
    I've re-applied to the CAO and at the moment I've put down Law with History in UCD first. I really really can't afford to get it wrong this time around, so any info at all about L&H (and UCD in general) would be great!
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Law with History is great, defo worth doing (don't call it L&H, thats something completely different).

It's tougher then pure law (what I do) because you have more essays and coursework, but rewarding. The 10 or 12 people you do law with history with will most likely be really good mates, so its nice to have them to fall back on, at the same time there are 100 law students who will make up your faculty which gives you the nice benefit of a large social scene.

I can't speak for the history side, but on the law side the lectures you get to do are pretty good. You do all the important ones in first year, contract, tort, constitutional ect, and second year company, eu, criminal, property. The ones you miss out are interesting enough, but not unmissable.

My best mates in Law are Law with History lads, I dunno if that says anything. But I think its a great course.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I'm a third year Law with History student and I have to say,I love my course.:)Having that bit of variety plus the fact that it's a year longer than plain law is handy.

Errllyod is right in that there's more work due to essays,and it's tough to get the hang of at first.Mind you,it's nice for taking off a bit of pressure at the end of exams as law doesn't much believe in continuous assessment.

You'll take 3 law modules and 2 history ones each semester if you balance your workload and it's a lot easier to handle essays for two history modules than the 5 or 6 arts students have to deal with.I've ended up taking law electives as well just so I can bump the law side of my degree.

The classes are very big though,so finding your classmates can be tough.
    Unfortunately I don't really know my class,but I place that down to me being 17 in first year and being a hermit.:pac:I'm sure if you make the effort you'll be grand!

Can't say I know much about the L&H,but if you've any other questions about the course feel free to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Thanks for your replies, I've got some thinking to do now!
    Also what's the Law Society like? In TCD it seemed to be rather "exclusive" to say the least!
    Erm what is this L&H you speak of? I was only abbreviating Law and History because I'm a lazy typist! Probably gonna be pretty embarrassed when i find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

L&H (Literary and Historical) is one of UCD's bigger societies. It holds weekly debates and occasionally brings in big name guests. To be honest; It wasn't great this year but you never know what it will be like next year.

EmilyO wrote: »
    Also what's the Law Society like? In TCD it seemed to be rather "exclusive" to say the least!
    Erm what is this L&H you speak of? I was only abbreviating Law and History because I'm a lazy typist! Probably gonna be pretty embarrassed when i find out!

Lol this is a bit of touchy subject for me right now, having just the election and all that.

I think Lawsoc is pretty good, but I'll allow others to comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 F4Fake

I'm in my final year of pure law, so I can't really comment on the history side of things. From talking to other Law with History students, the higher workload point does seem to be true. I wouldn't let that put you off though, as the workload for law in general is quite low.

As it currently stands, pure law is 3 years and Law with History is 4 years. It's worth bearing in mind that if you want to spend a year studying abroad (something that employers view very favourably), this will add a year on to your degree.

I also used to be a Trinity student before switching to UCD. To be honest, I doubt you'll notice a huge difference between the colleges in general. It's not like they attract wildly different types of people. The standard of lecturing in UCD law in quite high for the most part. Trinity have a very good reputation for law as well but I've noticed that UCD students tend to outnumber them when it comes to internships in the big law firms (but then again, UCD does have a higher intake).

Tea-a-Maria's point about classes being very large is true. For the first while it can be awkward sitting in a massive lecture theatre and knowing no one. Thankfully, your first and second year tutorial classes will be quite small (around 20 people or so) so this can be a good way of meeting people.

Law Soc does have a very cliquey reputation. For the most part, I don't think it's deserved. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved. Debating and mooting are both good ways to get introduced to the society and they do make an effort to attract first-years to these activities.

pure law is now 4 years.

other thing to keep in mind is were building a new law school. new buildings are cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

errlloyd wrote: »

I think Lawsoc is pretty good, but I'll allow others to comment.

I'm only a first year so take this as you will but I heard that in the past Law Soc was really good but this year the auditor made a couple of bad mistakes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

EmilyO wrote: »

TCD LawSoc is far more "clicky" than the UCD LawSoc, that's for sure.

In anycase you would have many people who argue that LawSoc did not have the best of years this year and that the outlook for next year is not very bright.

I can see L&H gaining in strength over the next year on the back of LawSoc's difficulties . . .
    errlloyd wrote: »

other thing to keep in mind is were building a new law school. new buildings are cool.

When is the new building scheduled to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

TCD LawSoc is far more "clicky" than the UCD LawSoc, that's for sure.

In anycase you would have many people who argue that LawSoc did not have the best of years this year and that the outlook for next year is not very bright.

I can see L&H gaining in strength over the next year on the back of LawSoc's difficulties . . .

I'm not in either soc but Lawsoc was a much better soc than L&H this year. Its hard to say which soc will be better and tbh I really don't care considering because I'm not on any of those socs committees.

• Advertisement

When is the new building scheduled to open?

I heard 18 months in September which puts it about a year from today, but thats generous because from insomnia in Quinn it would seem they haven't broken ground. I know its logistically important that it opens before I enter final year. (My year is the first of the 4 year degree pure law students, so the faculty will increase in size by 100).

So 18 months from today?

Advertisement