Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auto Bolt Handle Disappearing Act

Options
  • 22-04-2011 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

I was out not too long ago shooting some trap. The cousin was shooting a Franch I-12 auto and all was well for about an hour.

The next thing, the cousin tries to rack the bolt and there's no handle!

Sometime during shooting, either when the bolt was going back or forth, the handle decided to come free.

The terrain was beyond rough, real bog-land kind of stuff. To make matters worse, the missing piece was not noticed until after he walked about 20feet to get more shells.

We looked for a while, but to no avail. I have no metal detector in Ireland, or else we probably could have found it.

Has anyone come across this issue with a Franchi or any other auto?

If so, how was it resolved?

Have emailed Franchi and I expect a new bolt handle at no charge. We'll see what they have to say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

This is quite a regular occurance with remington 1187's.
    I don't think there is a whole lot you can do to prevent it happening I've seen a few of them do exactly what you described.
    They must all have the same problem because Gowan & Bradshaw keep them in stock.
    I can't speak for the Franchi as I have no experience of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

FOXHUNTER1 wrote: »
    I don't think there is a whole lot you can do to prevent it happening I've seen

That was my next question. Once I obtain the new handle, what do you do to ensure it does not pop out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I have an Ex-Gurka sqrn Metal detector for sale if you'r cuz is interested
    (formerly used to locate landmines)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

It will be intresting to see how Franchi handles this..As their aftersales service in Ireland is erratic at bestto almost non existant in other cases.[At least that was my experiance with them]:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I have an Ex-Gurka sqrn Metal detector for sale if you'r cuz is interested
    (formerly used to locate landmines)
    And you have the licence for it, right?
    (Haven't metal detectors needed a licence in Ireland for a decade or two, ever since someone went and dug up an ancient gold chalice and went to sell it under the well-known "finders keepers" rule?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Sparks wrote: »
    (Haven't metal detectors needed a licence in Ireland for a decade or two, ever since someone went and dug up an ancient gold chalice and went to sell it under the well-known "finders keepers" rule?)

Who even mentioned a licence?
    Yes, under the National Monuments Acts using a metal detector to search for archaeological artifacts is illegal without a licence from the Department of the Environment. If caught you can be fined and the detector confiscated.

If you are looking for a bunch of keys or a part of your shotgun you don't need one

But thanks for pointing that out

Yeah FISMA doing bring it out onto the hill of Tara and you will be fine:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

are they an expensive part?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

And, since it's a military metal detector, it'd have to be a restricted licence, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

It was the Ardagh Chalice BTW.Proably never have been found if we had been waiting for officious little digging men,with their instruments and sandwiches to find it!:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

bazza888 wrote: »
    are they an expensive part?

The Remington ones are €22 or there abouts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement