Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Internet Until Tuesday?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Holy crow Seloth would you get a grip. Do you understand how mad your analogy is. You're comparing the loss of your local dsl/cable broadband to your house hold in some little estate to the complete loss of internet connection to an entire university. There are hundreds of access points with 1000s of of connections at peak times and 100s at off-peak times.

If I was to compare the loss of water to just my house in limerick to the entire loss of water to the entire campus in UL would you able to envision how different these things are in terms of magnitude?
    If you wouldn't have voted for me for telling you an unwelcome home truth, that's really a matter for yourself, but being offensive and obnoxious isn't going to resolve the issues with the network.

Was that directed at me? If your home truth is that students should just take what their given and be grateful then I am sorry, your attitude leaves a lot to be desired. Even using UPC in the same breath as this problem demonstrates your clear lack of understanding of the issue.

Thanksfully the problem seems to have resolved , whether it did by its own accord or some poor/lucky sod from ITN came it for some overtime who knows. The su chap doesn't seem to cos he's on his easter holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Holy crow Seloth would you get a grip. Do you understand how mad your analogy is. You're comparing the loss of your local dsl/cable broadband to your house hold in some little estate to the complete loss of internet connection to an entire university. There are hundreds of access points with 1000s of of connections at peak times and 100s at off-peak times.

If I was to compare the loss of water to just my house in limerick to the entire loss of water to the entire campus in UL would you able to envision how different these things are in terms of magnitude?

Lol dude I live 4 miles outside a town but this problem affected 4000 households,Now if you read the post a person stated how UPC and Eircom were reliable compared to the UL campus one and how this wouldnt happen on their connection.That is why I posted the Lulz and gave example :L.
    Was that directed at me? If your home truth is that students should just take what their given and be grateful then I am sorry, your attitude leaves a lot to be desired

Sorry for jumping into another conversation but dude,In general thats the life of a student.Don't get me wrong I think we should get a far high quality of service(Which is one of the arguments for those on the Pro fee's side)but as I jsut said that is student life.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

ninty9er wrote: »
    You've obviously never dealt with UPC.

I didn't say it's acceptable for the network to cease functioning, because it's not, but it's not realistic to expect it to be fixed over a weekend period on a Bank Holiday.

The problems with SULIS have, to my knowledge, been raised by Aoife with ITD and others, in relation to more than just operating, but actual functionality of they system.

If you wouldn't have voted for me for telling you an unwelcome home truth, that's really a matter for yourself, but being offensive and obnoxious isn't going to resolve the issues with the network.

Derek with all due respect,

It is acceptable to not have someone working over the bank holiday weekend as part of regular timetabled hours, but it is NOT acceptable for there to be no one on standby should the ENTIRE system go down.

I know you've been out of the student life for a while, but the weekend of reading week, when people have assignments due that week, or are studying or are doing any work in fact, when the ENTIRE NETWORK goes down, there should be someone on standby to come and fix it.

It is not acceptable for a campus of 12,000 (regardless of how many are actually here on weekends like that), to not have a system in place for someone to come in and fix the network if it ever goes down for a sustained period of time like it did this past weekend.

I cannot possibly see how it is unrealistic to have someone on standby if this happens, in particular if it is the case that it could be down for a total of 4 days.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Guys calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I realise that the network came back up over the weekend. Here's a personal view anyway as, rants aside, it's worthy of a discussion.

Late in the term, it isn't acceptable to have the network down for anything resembling a prolonged period. Apart from people needing access to notes on the network (which could be backed up but some courses have a staggering amount of notes data on the network), people living in the student villages depend on the network for internet access. Late in the term, with essays due (while I recognise that there are restrictions on how late in the term essays can be assigned without the consent of the class, most classes tend to consent to deadlines whenever they're set as people are disinclined to annoy the lecturers who will be marking their final exams) this access is extremely important.

No-one expects ITD to have someone working all weekend in case something happens. That would be a waste of financial resources. However, it's entirely reasonable to expect someone to be on standby in case something happens. That's a good use of financial resources. While deadlines can be moved as a result of the network being unavailable, that's at the behest of the lecturer and some will be more reasonable about it than others. Additionally, late in term, many students will have a study plan laid out and messing with that as a result of network resources being unavailable to them for a day or two isn't particularly fair.

Common sense (ie having someone on standby over the long weekend) isn't entirely free. It will cost some money to have someone on standby. But with a large number of people depending on the UL network being available and usable, it's a small amount of money to spend on ensuring that if the network goes down, it's likely to be down for only a few hours. The trouble with common sense, of course, is that it isn't particularly common. While the yearlong average of uptime is important, having all of the downtime in one weekend (even assuming it to be limited to one weekend) so close to the exams isn't particularly impressive. It's an entirely reasonable thing to complain about it. Common sense would dictate that people should complain about it.

Oh, and comparing the quality of service (including repair time) for a home broadband connection with that of the UL-HEA connection is nuts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement