Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being stopped in the street to talk about "Jesus Christ".

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's usually Norn Iron types who shout the loudest about Jebus on the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Oh I'm sorry did someone put a gun to your head and force you to not only read but to reply to the thread?

Yeah, okay, we get you hate them (really, you've made it more than abundantly clear) you don't need to come onto every one to voice your dislike. If there's a problem, it's with you guys who simply can't just ignore these threads.
    And it's the same couple of posters every time who never actually contribute anything, just post the same tired ****e and don't bother to back up what they say - no doubt because they know how full of ****e they are.

I mean ffs, why don't you go on to other threads on topics that keep cropping up?

tl;dr stop ****ting up threads for those who like them. Don't like it? Don't read the thread. No one is forcing you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I only get stopped for those newspaper things, but I shake my head and keep walking. Haven't encountered any religious people yet. If I'm really in the mood one day I might listen - curious to hear what rubbish they spout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Are people not capable of just saying not today cheers and walking on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Men in suits and girls dressed like blossom = Jehovah's Witnesses.

Men in white shirts = Mormons.

Just so all the morons in this thread can direct their apparent anger at people asking them questions in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

^^ True that, but even then I defend the liberty of the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormons to do this even if I disagree with their message.

There is a Mormon church in Clonsilla, so this probably explains it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Being stopped in the street to talk about "Jesus Christ".

Just tell them you think it's rude to talk about people behind their back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Jesus has gone on holidays so don't think he be back till sunday or monday to confirm that he exists...everyones belief is different. I believed he existed but I don't believe everything about him. Just doubt the whole story behind him. I still believe in God i'd believe in him more than JC himself. Then again I believe science makes more sense than religion. Luckily I haven't had anyone stop me to talk about him except family who speak of him who be fairly religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭conorhal

krudler wrote: »
    Yet nobody who's an athiest has ever walked up to you on the street to convince you there is no god, or call to your house to do the same or stick a donation request envelope in your letterbox. People seem convinced that others need to find out more about god, yet non believers dont go out of their way. and athiests are the annoying ones?

That's because atheists, frankly, are just plain lazy. Usually they just stick to cluttering up the internet with tedious, incessant and obnoxious posting.
    So. get up off your arse and grab a megaphone or STFU. The bible bashers are no less annoying than any number of tin wavers and frequently less obnoxious, so what I do and politely say no thank you and move on.

Jesus has gone on holidays so don't think he be back till sunday or monday to confirm that he exists...everyones belief is different. I believed he existed but I don't believe everything about him. Just doubt the whole story behind him. I still believe in God i'd believe in him more than JC himself. Then again I believe science makes more sense than religion. Luckily I haven't had anyone stop me to talk about him except family who speak of him who be fairly religious.

Interesting post, I hope you don't mind if I ask two things:

1. Why assume that it need be science versus religion? Aren't they aiming at different things?

2. In saying that you would believe in God more than Jesus Christ you mean that you reject the concept of the Trinity?

• Advertisement

The amount of people that came to this thread to post about how they don't like it's existence is baffling, just don't post in it for (your) gods sake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sacramento wrote: »
    ...I've been stopped in the street and had people knocking on the door about Jesus Christ. Does this happen to any of you guys often? What's your reaction to them?

Occasionally I get stopped in the street. I just keep walking.
    If they try to get in the way, they get dumped onto their ass - otherwise I just keep going.

As for my home, I have a notice in my front door window: "No religious nuts, no sales people and no junk mail"
    Works most of the time and when it don't usually a "fcuk off" sends them a message.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Biggins wrote: »
    Occasionally I get stopped in the street. I just keep walking.
    If they try to get in the way, they get dumped onto their ass - otherwise I just keep going.

You're so badass...

and full of beans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Jesus loves you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Seaneh wrote: »
    Men in suits and girls dressed like blossom = Jehovah's Witnesses.

Who goes around dressed up as one of The Powerpuff Girls? :pac:

Have been stopped several times in Galway by lads in suits with badges asking to speak about Jesus and I politely tell them I'm not interested. Both they and I just keep walking. However the guy that came to my door asking if I was an avid reader of the bible and tried to sell me some magazine was not so nice upon hearing I wasn't interested, told me I was going to hell and flames will come out my eyes apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

It's funny how you never see atheists stopping people on the street to talk about the non-existence of God.

I'm all for allowing people to believe whatever the hell they want, but there is a rather odd element to Catholicism that tries to convince non-believers into believing. It's not as sinister as it used to be with the Crusades, but it's still very odd.

You believe in God? Sound. You want to convince me to do the same? Fuck off. I have a mind of my own, thank you very much.

Sad when the Church run educational system fails, and rebelling individual thought becomes confused and self centred. Ignorance might be bliss, but rudeness is regretable. But who knows, perhaps when the time comes for the end, some may change attitude again as they confront a new future alone in a Church run hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I'm all for allowing people to believe whatever the hell they want, but there is a rather odd element to Catholicism that tries to convince non-believers into believing. It's not as sinister as it used to be with the Crusades, but it's still very odd.
    It's not the Catholics who do this, it's the smaller, more culty groups like the Jehovah's Witnesses who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Jakkass wrote: »

Atheism doesn't claim to have a profound impact on anyone, or claim to secure peoples eternal destiny. Christianity changes this and pretty much everything. So of course there is going to be a difference in terms of evangelism. By the by, one can only evangelise if they are giving good news (evangelion), atheism isn't great news. Wahey, you're going to rot in the ground when you die! :pac:

It doesnt claim to but I guarantee anyone who's realised they dont believe in god it does have a profound impact on them. its a relief to realise you dont have to live your life to appease some supernatural overlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

conorhal wrote: »
    That's because atheists, frankly, are just plain lazy. Usually they just stick to cluttering up the internet with tedious, incessant and obnoxious posting.
    So. get up off your arse and grab a megaphone or STFU. The bible bashers are no less annoying than any number of tin wavers and frequently less obnoxious, so what I do and politely say no thank you and move on.

yet groups like Atheist Ireland are "just like a religion!" when they organise a meet or protest something. Can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Sad when the Church run educational system fails, and rebelling individual thought becomes confused and self centred. Ignorance might be bliss, but rudeness is regretable. But who knows, perhaps when the time comes for the end, some may change attitude again as they confront a new future alone in a Church run hospital.

That's nice but I don't think people who are gullible enough to believe in gods in normal circumstances are any less likely to do so in tough times. We can hope though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Seaneh wrote: »
    You're so badass...

and full of beans

I, like many have no time for bullschite and simply not willing to have it shoved into our faces or want it on our doorstep.
    These religious nuts can fcuk off. Like it or lump it.
    I'm too old for fcuking around with these assholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Two JW lads knocked to my door a few months ago. I was pretty baked so when they said "Could we talk to you about God" I told them to come in. They kind of looked at each other then back to me and sort of nervously handed me a couple of magazines and couldn't get out of the drive way fast enough. To be honest I think a lot of them would rather be at home watching TV but do the whole evangelising thing cause it is expected of them by their community. Like with a lot of Catholics going to mass years ago. That was certainly the impression I got from my mate in school that was a JW.

It can be annoying alright but I feel sorry for them more than anything.

krudler wrote: »
    yet groups like Atheist Ireland are "just like a religion!" when they organise a meet or protest something. Can't win.

That statement just smacks of sour grapes. They are just like a religion in their behavior. They noisily proselytize their opinions and are generally firm that their belief that their convictions and ideology are superior to anybody else’s. And make no mistake, their group is an ideological one. Fact, is the certainly that God does not exist, but the ideology of atheism Ireland is that they should determine the cultural values of the state. The problem with that of course is that they have no collective values, just aggressive individualism, and lets face it, egotism is no way to run a society, in fact an egotistical society can only head for collapse.
    If atheism Ireland can't win, it seems that’s because it's no different to any other group that promotes an ideology, and it’s hard to win hearts and minds of they have nothing to offer the collective other than the values of egotism.
    What I don’t get is this, our morality and cultural values are derived in the main from Judeo Christian ideology, denying that is just stupid.
    For example, I don't get why they would have a problem swearing on a bible in court, why can't they just view it as traditional oath and as a symbol of a commitment to truth. I don't see why they feel so threatened by the symbolism and behave like some kind of secular Taliban, bent on destroying all symbols that they find so offensive, if religion has no impact on your daily life then why rail so hard against it, that's just pathetic.

if religion has no impact on your daily life then why rail so hard against it, that's just pathetic.

That's the thing. In their view religion does have an impact on their daily life. Over the last few decades it has come to have less and less impact on peoples daily life, in part, because people railed so hard against it.

I'm not even going to address your laughable assertion that our morality is based on Judeo-Christian teachings. Is murder legal in India? How about theft? How about rape? Nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

That statement just smacks of sour grapes. They are just like a religion in their behavior. They noisily proselytize their opinions and are generally firm that their conviction that their ideology is superior to anybody else’s. And make no mistake, their group is an ideological one. Fact, is the certainly that God does not exist, but the ideology of atheism Ireland is that they should determine the cultural values of the state. The problem with that of course is that they have no collective values, just aggressive individualism, and lets face it, egotism is no way to run a society, in fact an egotistical society can only head for collapse.

Funny how you say they have this particular ideology and then say they have no collective values. Which one is it? And they do not try to determine cultural values of the state, whatever you mean by that. They in fact say that government policies should not be influenced by special interest groups like the Catholic Church and others.

If atheism Ireland can't win, it seems that’s because it's no different to any other group that promotes an ideology, and it’s hard to win hearts and minds of they have nothing to offer the collective, either morally or otherwise, other than the values of egotism.

What exactly is this ideology then?

What I don’t get is this, our morality and cultural values are derived in the main from Judeo Christian ideology, denying that is just stupid. I don't get why they would have a problem swearing on a bible in court as a symbol of a commitment to truth. I don't see why they feel so threatened by the symbolism they don't believe in and just view it as tradition instead, rather then behaving like some kind of secular Taliban, bent on destroying all symbols that they find so offensive.

How original. "We're a Christian culture. We always have been and always will be". What a tired argument. Nobody in their right mind would deny the obvious influence that Christianity has had on this part of the world. Indeed, that's one of the basic problems that many non religious people have with it, besides the lack of evidence and that. For you to say otherwise is a gross misrepresentation and a poor strawman argument.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't see the reason in swearing on a book with as much violence, bigotry, ignorance and contradictions as the Bible. Why on Earth would swearing on this make me any more likely to tell the truth, especially since I don't believe it is the word of God?

strobe wrote: »
    That's the thing. In their view religion does have an impact on their daily life. Over the last few decades it has come to have less and less impact on peoples daily life, in part, because people railed so hard against it.

I'm not even going to address your laughable assertion that our morality is based on Judeo-Christian teachings. Is murder legal in India? How about theft? How about rape? Nonsense.

Oh well, now that you've explained it, I can clearly see that 2000 years of christianity has had no moral or cultural impact on western civilization at all! Thanks! :rolleyes:

Oh well, now that you've explained it, I can clearly see that 2000 years of christianity has had no moral or cultural impact on western civilization at all! Thanks! :rolleyes:

I didn't say that it had no cultural impact on the western world. In fact I don't think I have ever heard anyone, anywhere, at any time, ever claim that even once.

Nice strawman buddy.

(by the way. Overusing that rolleyes smiley makes you look silly. It really does, ask around.)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

If the pub has no seats left I am with friends a surefire way of getting a spot is to ask the 'have you heard about Jesus?' Works a treat!

strobe wrote: »

This is an excellent point. This is probably because we are all human, and we were born with a conscience, and more than likely that we were all created by one Creator. This would explain much of the commonality between people.

Even the Bible recognises this if one takes a look through the 2nd chapter of Paul's Epistle to the Romans:
    (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

Seems quite obvious to me even from a secular perspective that our basic ethical systems are very similar.

• Advertisement

Funny how you say they have this particular ideology and then say they have no collective values. Which one is it? And they do not try to determine cultural values of the state, whatever you mean by that. They in fact say that government policies should not be influenced by special interest groups like the Catholic Church and others.

What exactly is this ideology then?

Secularism and egotism. There is a difference between ideology and morality and collective vlaues. I find it ironic that a special intrest group argues against special intrest groups.

How original. "We're a Christian culture. We always have been and always will be". What a tired argument. Nobody in their right mind would deny the obvious influence that Christianity has had on this part of the world.
    Indeed, that's one of the basic problems that many non religious people have with it, besides the lack of evidence and that. For you to say otherwise is a gross misrepresentation and a poor strawman argument.
    I'm confused. Which is it, 'obvious influence' or 'lack of evidence of any influence?
    I can only speak for myself, but I don't see the reason in swearing on a book with as much violence, bigotry, ignorance and contradictions as the Bible. Why on Earth would swearing on this make me any more likely to tell the truth, especially since I don't believe it is the word of God?

It's the act of swearing that matters, so what if it's traditionally on a bible. As for the usual whiney athiest diatribe that the bible is all about 'violence, bigotry, ignorance', so is Shakespere.
    I'm not a christian, but I reckon it has a decent second act. People that rail against christianity remind me of those idiot trots what decry the evils of capitalism and sort of ignoring the fact that it has raised a hell of a lot more people's standard of living then communism ever did. It's a tunnel vision view of an important and influential book that has shaped our culture, for ill, and yes, for good also.
    Atheism Ireland and the Dawkins brigade remind me of a secular Savanerola and his bonfire of the vanities*. It's that 'everything must go' attitude regardless of any esoteric value that turns me off, is smacks of bitter nhillism. I regard our Judeo Christian culture as our cultural DNA and even though I'm not a practicing Christian or anything, I still believe that it is part of our history, culture and values and thus worth keeping.

Bonfire of the Vanities (Italian: Falò delle vanità) refers to the burning of objects that are deemed to be occasions of sin. The focus of this destruction was nominally on objects that might tempt one to sin, including vanity items such as mirrors, cosmetics, fine dresses, paintings, playing cards, and even musical instruments. Other targets included books and manuscripts of secular songs, as well as artworks, including paintings and sculpture.

Advertisement