Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being stopped in the street to talk about "Jesus Christ".

Options

Comments

Jakkass wrote: »
    We were created in the beginning with a duty to reflect God's glory, we chose to reflect our own selfishness and as a result no longer reflected God.

I think man knows right and wrong primarily from their consciences which have been given by their Creator. This is why non-Christians can act ethically because they are inclined by their God-given conscience to do so.

Personally I don't believe that original sin refers to the guilt of the sin of Adam and Eve, rather it refers to our inclination mainly being towards what is evil rather than towards what is good.

Christianity isn't about "passing" or "failing", it is about whether or not one has established a relationship with God as their Creator by accepting the forgiveness paid for them by Christ on the cross.

Every single one of these comments that you have made in only one post are complete assumptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

krudler wrote: »
    but how can the trust or have faith in something that they arent aware is supposed to exist?

Re-read what I've said.
    a god given conscience? meaning we can choose to be good or evil because god instilled us with both notions, its free will without free will essentially.

Our consciences are inclined towards God's conscience. Our desires and our free will can go either way. I believe that we can suppress our consciences in order to do things that wouldn't be acceptable according to God. I'd see it as the moral compass, or the morality unit.
    If god instilled you with a leaning towards evil, by doing good instead are you still rejecting gods will? what if god intended there to be evil people in the world? no dark without light and all that.

I don't think that God instilled me in a sense with a leaning towards evil. I think that is largely just how humans have decided to use their free will as a result of the fall.

God gave us a free will because it is simply better to follow Him out of free choice rather than to be mere automaton.

Sacramento wrote: »
    Every single one of these comments that you have made in only one post are complete assumptions.

No more assumption than what is demonstrated in your posts in respect to God.

@Jakkass Your posts are so full of assumptions it's painful to read and to debate these things with you feels like talking to an ignorant wall. I actually can't do it. I know I'm giving you the opportunity to come back and say I don't have anything to back up my argument and that's why I'm choosing not to continue the discussion with you, but your argument alone is so laughable in itself that no rebuttal is necessary.

@Jakkass Your posts are so full of assumptions it's painful to read and to debate these things with you feels like talking to an ignorant wall. I actually can't do it. I know I'm giving you the opportunity to come back and say I don't have anything to back up my argument and that's why I'm choosing not to continue the discussion with you, but your argument alone is so laughable in itself that no rebuttal is necessary.

You're not even debating Sacramento, you're merely parroting things. If you don't want to discuss, don't. I understand. I think I'll take up RussellTuring instead he seems more open to discussion :)

• Advertisement

Even if we were the product of a single creator deity, we wouldn't necessarily know it. The only reason we have this concept is that humans have a tendency to spread knowledge and ideas. Is it not much more likely that this tendency is the reason we have this concept, rather than it's supposed veracity? If every culture had a similar creation story and no alternatives had been proposed, you may have a point.The fact is, we've had many different proposals to explain why we're here, with most of them eventually fading into obscurity. What is it about monotheism that makes it a valid choice above all others, save it's current popularity?

True. We wouldn't of necessity know it. You come in with the assumption that it is man-made. I come in with the assumption that if there is a God, that He could and would desire to come into relation with mankind through revelation.

The argument that there are so many arguments doesn't mean that one of these claimed revelations may be correct. Rejecting them all could be very inadequate. This is why we should investigate rather than reject blindly.
    Thanks for the recommendation. And you also seem to be a nice person. Next time I'm in Lucan I might send you a PM. I can't really recommend any books myself. I don't think any I read really influenced my lack of faith. I would say the Bible but you've obviously read that.

Yeah. Well, the reason why I'm arguing with you now is that I read the Bible out of curiosity. I would be an agnostic otherwise I suspect.
    Intuition does not equal reason. Do you not agree with that?

Intuition and common sense is the best faculty that human beings have in order to determine what is reasonable and what is unreasonable. Yes, it may be inadequate in some respects as it has its limitations, but ultimately human reason itself has limitations. Intuition is also the product of reason as I would see it. It is deducing what is reasonable given what we know about things already.

The problem manifests itself much like the problem with sense perception in philosophy. We can't ever know that our senses aren't deceiving us. Therefore using sense data from our senses is always prone to failure. However, the senses are ultimately the best guide that we have in many ways. It is by the eyes that we can determine things about colour, and shape. Indeed, the same is true for other faculties in how they tell us about things. They may be skewed, mistaken or wrong at times but ultimately it is the best guide that we have. I would say the same about common sense, and intuition. It is the best guide in helping us to determine what is reasonable and what isn't.
    See above. I also disagree with your concept of morality. It would seem apparent to me that, given the conflicts we so often have, morality is by no means universal. I think for all intents and purposes, everyone in society has their own unique version of morality.The best we can do is try to decide on a set of rules that we agree with by and large and will submit to unless it is something with which we fundamentally disagree. Not sure how common this view is though.

Morality for the most part seems very much to be universal. One cannot explain that despite the fact that I have never met you in person and if you wrong me, I will still assume that we have a common sense of morality. The second I rebuke you for wronging me, I am assuming that there is a common moral law between us, or something that you should know that would make it evident to you that you are in the wrong. One can't deny this unless they are willing to employ an relativistic approach in terms of how they deal when they are wronged. Don't rebuke anyone then, just say well that's his understanding of what moral behaviour is, it may differ to my understanding so I should just tolerate it.

Nobody works on this basis, and we both know it.
    I'm sure there are many reasons for your faith and wouldn't expect to get a good sense of them through this medium. I do appreciate your honesty and openness which are all too rare on both sides of these conversations.

I thank you for at least giving my POV a listen.
    That's correct. Being the second person to comment on this, you deserve brownie points.

As a Computer Science student it would be a royal shame had I not heard about Alan Turing before now. As a Philosophy student it would be a royal shame if I hadn't heard of Bertrand Russell by now :)
    I hope you don't mind me butting in here, but why do you not take the good things we also do as evidence that we are inclined towards good?

Ultimately because we are not for the most part inclined towards it, at least not as I would see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I was once stopped by a Korean man and woman, the man was holding a laptop and the woman was holding a clipboard and they asked me if I would help them by doing a survey (this was in TCD campus so I presumed they were students doing research or something). I said grand, and they said they'd show me a video and ask me about my reactions to it. The video was all about how God is actually a woman and when it was over they told me they were part of some Korean religious sect and would I consider joining them.

They got me too, but I actually invited them into my house thinking it was a survey and then I couldn't get rid of them :\ I had to make an excuse about feeding the kids :(

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

True. We wouldn't of necessity know it. You come in with the assumption that it is man-made. I come in with the assumption that if there is a God, that He could and would desire to come into relation with mankind through revelation.

No. I actually start with the knowledge that the idea was certainly perpetuated by people. I then ask myself what is more likely: that it was first conceived of by humans, whom we obviously know exist, or that it was told to us by God, whose existence is still debated. I couldn't honestly say that the latter is more likely. You may very well believe that God reveals himself thusly, but that still requires the belief in God.
    The argument that there are so many arguments doesn't mean that one of these claimed revelations may be correct. Rejecting them all could be very inadequate. This is why we should investigate rather than reject blindly.

Indeed. So what is it that makes monotheism so much more likely than any other position, given all of those that appeared before and since?

Yeah. Well, the reason why I'm arguing with you now is that I read the Bible out of curiosity. I would be an agnostic otherwise I suspect.

Out of curiosity, do you consider yourself a gnostic theist?

Intuition and common sense is the best faculty that human beings have in order to determine what is reasonable and what is unreasonable. Yes, it may be inadequate in some respects as it has its limitations, but ultimately human reason itself has limitations. Intuition is also the product of reason as I would see it. It is deducing what is reasonable given what we know about things already.

The problem manifests itself much like the problem with sense perception in philosophy. We can't ever know that our senses aren't deceiving us. Therefore using sense data from our senses is always prone to failure. However, the senses are ultimately the best guide that we have in many ways. It is by the eyes that we can determine things about colour, and shape. Indeed, the same is true for other faculties in how they tell us about things. They may be skewed, mistaken or wrong at times but ultimately it is the best guide that we have. I would say the same about common sense, and intuition. It is the best guide in helping us to determine what is reasonable and what isn't.

That doesn't exactly answer my question. Are reason and intuition equivalent?
    Morality for the most part seems very much to be universal. One cannot explain that despite the fact that I have never met you in person and if you wrong me, I will still assume that we have a common sense of morality. The second I rebuke you for wronging me, I am assuming that there is a common moral law between us, or something that you should know that would make it evident to you that you are in the wrong. One can't deny this unless they are willing to employ an relativistic approach in terms of how they deal when they are wronged. Don't rebuke anyone then, just say well that's his understanding of what moral behaviour is, it may differ to my understanding so I should just tolerate it.

Nobody works on this basis, and we both know it.

It seems universal to you. I don't see why I should accept any assumptions that you make. Surely that is your duty to prove?

If somebody wrongs me, I don't by any means assume that they have at all the same morality as me. If I did, I would be imposing my views on them and I couldn't justify that. Why, when I inevitably have conflict with people of opposing moral views, would I assume that we share universal morals? That seems preposterous. There are many things on which the majority of people do agree, of course, but this by no means indicates that we agree on everything. There is quite a difference.

I work on this basis, and I know it.
    I thank you for at least giving my POV a listen.

I thrive on intelligent and civil disagreement.
    As a Computer Science student it would be a royal shame had I not heard about Alan Turing before now. As a Philosophy student it would be a royal shame if I hadn't heard of Bertrand Russell by now :)

Indeed it would. I study Computer Science also.
    Ultimately because we are not for the most part inclined towards it, at least not as I would see it.

It would seem to be a matter of opinion so. I just find it curious that you think we are by default bad people. I think that's quite a negative view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

You're not even debating Sacramento, you're merely parroting things. If you don't want to discuss, don't. I understand. I think I'll take up RussellTuring instead he seems more open to discussion :)

How do you expect him to discuss anything with someone who sends telepathic message to a wizard in the sky? It's madness & fruitless!

You can't have any sort of logicical or common-sense based discussion with anyone who believes in such fantasy nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

How do you expect him to discuss anything with someone who sends telepathic message to a wizard in the sky? It's madness & fruitless!

You can't have any sort of logicical or common-sense based discussion with anyone who believes in such fantasy nonsense.
    A person can use both faith and reason to make decisions in life. Not everything can be decided upon solely by reasoning.

Let me lay out a scenario for you

You are a rich and important businessman. A gold digger decides that they want to nab half your wealth. They set out a grand ten year plan to achieve this. They take acting lessons and they master how best to synthesise outward displays of love. They come close to you and you feel attracted to them. The gold digger proclaims to love you and appears to adore your very existence. You feel a genuine love for the person and believe that the love is mutual.

Four years of the play passes and the gold digger convinces you to marry them. You, fooled by their grand charade, marry them. All seems normal and six years pass. During those six years the outward displays and proclamations of love intensify and almost surreptitiously they manage to persuade you to transfer some of your wealth to them and you agree as you feel that you and your lover are truly one and the same.

Ten years have passed and you wake up to find you are alone. The gold digger has filed for divorce and you are left wondering what went wrong. You lose half your wealth and you feel hurt and deceived. You saw extravagant displays and proclamations of love and you fell for it. You never knew that for ten years it was all a careful and controlled charade. You believed that they truly loved you but in reality they never did. They played you like an organ.

What led you to feel that the gold digger's love was genuine? Did you delve in to their minds and find evidence of the emotion they claimed to feel for you? No. You had faith in their outward displays and their words. The purely rational mind does not love, it does not feel. It is a machine that is cold and inhuman.

Some decisions are purely based on faith. Some decisions are purely based on reason. Some decisions are based on both. All in all, people make decisions in their lives on both faith and on reason. They always have and always will.

A person can use both faith and reason to make decisions in life. Not everything can be decided upon solely by reasoning.

Let me lay out a scenario for you

You are a rich and important businessman. A gold digger decides that they want to nab half your wealth. They set out a grand ten year plan to achieve this. They take acting lessons and they master how best to synthesise outward displays of love. They come close to you and you feel attracted to them. The gold digger proclaims to love you and appears to adore your very existence. You feel a genuine love for the person and believe that the love is mutual.

Four years of the play passes and the gold digger convinces you to marry them. You, fooled by their grand charade, marry them. All seems normal and six years pass. During those six years the outward displays and proclamations of love intensify and almost surreptitiously they manage to persuade you to transfer some of your wealth to them and you agree as you feel that you and your lover are truly one and the same.

Ten years have passed and you wake up to find you are alone. The gold digger has filed for divorce and you are left wondering what went wrong. You lose half your wealth and you feel hurt and deceived. You saw extravagant displays and proclamations of love and you fell for it. You never knew that for ten years it was all a careful and controlled charade. You believed that they truly loved you but in reality they never did. They played you like an organ.

What led you to feel that the gold digger's love was genuine? Did you delve in to their minds and find evidence of the emotion they claimed to feel for you? No. You had faith in their outward displays and their words. The purely rational mind does not love, it does not feel. It is a machine that is cold and inhuman.

Some decisions are purely based on faith. Some decisions are purely based on reason. Some decisions are based on both. All in all, people make decisions in their lives on both faith and on reason. They always have and always will.

The difference being that there is little doubt as to whether or not the other person actually exists. I have no doubt you love God (the gold digger in your analogy) but whether or not He exists is a different matter entirely.

The difference being that there is little doubt as to whether or not the other person actually exists. I have no doubt you love God (the gold digger in your analogy) but whether or not He exists is a different matter entirely.
    There is no difference. I never said I am applying this analogy like for like (Loving the Gold Digger - Loving God). I am applying the analogy in the following manner (Loving the gold digger - Believing in God).

There are two questions linked by this analogy.

Does God exist?
    Does love for me exist in the mind of the other person?

As I said before, the mathematical probability of God existing is 0.5. The mathematical probability of someone loving you is 0.5 as well. God either exists or he does not exist. Someone either loves you or does not love you. That is looking at both situations using only reason.

When one applies faith to both questions they can make a decision.

Let's take the latter question

They can say they love me and they can act like they love me. I may believe they love me.

I create an AI which mimics the rational processes of the human mind perfectly. I tell the AI that _____ loves me. The AI asks me to prove that they love me. I tell them that their demeanour, their words, their actions all would indicate that they love me. The AI asks me to prove that these are not merely acts of deception. I maintain that the person does indeed love me. The AI maintains that as there is no empirical or absolute evidence for the raw emotion present in the mind of the other person said love does not exist and that I am an idiot to believe in something that cannot be proven.

What is the difference between the AI and the hypothetical purely rational human being?

Firstly, that's a terrible analogy - you've described a real person who actually exists, and compared her to someone who doesn't and can never be proven to.
    Probably the acting classes she took.

And I still don't get your point - your story is based on faith in a real person whom you've met & seen & spoken with, who took acting classes to deceive you - nobody has met or spoken with God, despite loonies who really believe they have.

I disagree. Any decision I ever make has a reason behind it to - faith (or "gut instinct/intuition" as I'd prefer to call it) may be involved to some degree, but there's always a tangible reason. I'd never have blind & unquestionable faith in any decision I'd ever make - I'd be dumb if I did. The "faith" element would usually be based on previous life experiences. e.g. I wouldn't walk down a dangerous looking street because life experience tells me it's dangerous by looking at it & its surroundings - whereas a religious person might get that same instinct but think that it was God telling them not to walk down it, and protecting them from harm.

No. I actually start with the knowledge that the idea was certainly perpetuated by people. I then ask myself what is more likely: that it was first conceived of by humans, whom we obviously know exist, or that it was told to us by God, whose existence is still debated. I couldn't honestly say that the latter is more likely. You may very well believe that God reveals himself thusly, but that still requires the belief in God.

Absolutely RussellTuring, but if you are God and if you desire to communicate with people, people are inevitably going to have to be involved. There is no way of getting out of that one.

I found personally that when I was reading the Bible for the first time, 17 nearly 18. I found that the process started by thinking about Creation. Is it more sensible or not that there is a Creator, or that this all came from itself? I thought about this all the more, but the more I thought about it the less it started to make sense that this could just be a cosmic accident. It was from the point of thinking about a Creator that I began to think about what God this could be, or indeed what gods. At this time I looked to the Qur'an also, and I also got exposure to other religions through my LC Religion class. I looked into a lot of stuff essentially, but it was from this stage of understanding that there was probably a Creator that I reached a point that I could understand what revelation or not best held up. I was admittedly surprised about what I had learned in Christianity that I had never seen before as a kid going to church with my parents, or indeed that didn't seem to be present in the other religions I looked at. I was also surprised to see how reasonable Christianity was, and I was surprised to see what a strong case there was for it by reading some Christian apologetics.

By the by, your argument against religions in particular could also be used against atheism, an idea unlike the others which is without doubt the brainchild of individuals.
    Indeed. So what is it that makes monotheism so much more likely than any other position, given all of those that appeared before and since?

Christianity seemed to hold up pretty well. I would give arguments in favour of a panthenon of gods a consideration certainly.
    Out of curiosity, do you consider yourself a gnostic theist?

I think the scale isn't all that useful. I don't believe that someone is authentically an "agnostic" if they believe that God's existence is as likely as fairies at the back of their garden to use a Richard Dawkin's phrase.

I would consider it as follows:

1: Atheist - someone who sees it as more likely that God doesn't exist.
    2. Agnostic - someone who is unsure as to whether or not God exists.
    3. Theist - someone who sees it as more likely that God exists.

If you want my answer on the scale in The God Delusion I am a 2.
    That doesn't exactly answer my question. Are reason and intuition equivalent?

Intuition and intelligent speculation are the product of ones rational faculty. The reason may be inaccurate and misguided, but ultimately if you want people to believe in things it needs to be inherently sensible and reasonable to the individual who is to believe in it.

People should be able to understand the logic behind something. If they don't understand the logic there is no reason whatsoever why they would believe in it.
    It seems universal to you. I don't see why I should accept any assumptions that you make. Surely that is your duty to prove?

People operate inherently as if it is universal. You have zero right to rebuke me for what I do unless there is a moral system that is in common between us. How can you be sure that you are right otherwise?
    If somebody wrongs me, I don't by any means assume that they have at all the same morality as me. If I did, I would be imposing my views on them and I couldn't justify that. Why, when I inevitably have conflict with people of opposing moral views, would I assume that we share universal morals? That seems preposterous. There are many things on which the majority of people do agree, of course, but this by no means indicates that we agree on everything. There is quite a difference.

The second you claim that someone is wrong you are assuming immediately that they should have some means of understanding you. What are those means if they are not a common moral system?

You mention that there is a conflict to begin with, but why would one initiate conflict to begin with unless they genuinely believed that they were objectively right?

That's what I mean when I say that the mechanics of morality are geared towards universalism. I already mentioned that people can suppress their consciences by following their desires. It is possible that people can ignore aspects of their God given consciences. However, ultimately on a broad scale most humans in most societies agree as to the core nature of morality, and what is at its most basic right and wrong. At least that is what I have found from looking to a lot of ethical systems.
    I work on this basis, and I know it.

I'm doubtful of this in practice to say the least!
    I thrive on intelligent and civil disagreement.

Great :)
    Indeed it would. I study Computer Science also.

Even better :pac:. Dare I say it is one of my other passions in life.
    It would seem to be a matter of opinion so. I just find it curious that you think we are by default bad people. I think that's quite a negative view.

I think we were created for a good purpose but we lost our way. It doesn't mean that we cannot at times do what is good, but it does mean that for as long as we choose not to reflect God that we are prone to sin even if we can adhere to His standards momentarily.

What religion is that? :pac:

Yeah yeah yeah I've heard it all before man :pac:. Present some proper arguments and we can get going. Otherwise lets not :)

There is no difference. I never said I am applying this analogy like for like (Loving the Gold Digger - Loving God). I am applying the analogy in the following manner (Loving the gold digger - Believing in God).

Does God exist?

As I said before, the mathematical probability of God existing is 0.5. The mathematical probability of someone loving you is 0.5 as well. God either exists or he does not exist. Someone either loves you or does not love you. That is looking at both situations using only reason.

Take the question of love

They can say they love me and they can act like they love me. I may believe they love me.

I create an AI which mimics the rational processes of the human mind perfectly. I tell the AI that _____ loves me. The AI asks me to prove that they love me. I tell them that their demeanour, their words, their actions all would indicate that they love me. The AI asks me to prove that these are not merely acts of deception. I maintain that the person does indeed love me. The AI maintains that as there is no empirical or absolute evidence for the raw emotion present in the mind of the other person said love does not exist and that I am an idiot to believe in something that cannot be proven.

What is the difference between the AI and the hypothetical purely rational human being?

I really have no idea where to start with the incomprehensible waffle you're spouting. It doesn't even make sense. It's the ramblings of a madman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I really have no idea where to start with the incomprehensible waffle you're spouting. It doesn't even make sense. It's the ramblings of a madman!

It kind of is Pamg. He's right. Poor show for you. You're better than that.

Firstly, that's a terrible analogy - you've described a real person who actually exists, and compared her to someone who doesn't and can never be proven to.
    Don't strawman. The analogy is between the two questions of

"Does God exist?"
    "Does love for me exist in the mind of the other person?"
    Probably the acting classes she took.
    What makes you think that anyone loves you? I want you to prove to me that anyone in your life truly holds love for you. I want absolute and undeniable proof and nothing else. Otherwise you are deluding yourself thinking that anyone actually loves you.
    Anyone who challenges me is a madman. Anyone who challenges me is spouting incomprehensible waffle.

Excellent debating.

Present some proper arguments and we can get going. Otherwise lets not :)

LOL - says the Catholic.

How about "it's simply a made-up load of bollocks with zero proof that any of it is true whatsoever in any capacity"?

The lack of any type of evidence whatsoever for the existence of God is sufficient proof for me. Not sure how much more obvious it could be, really. ZERO evidence is quite finite, IMO. It's already absolute - how can there ever be any LESS evidence? It can't even be debated using logic - and if you can't bring logic & reason or any type of tangible proof into a debate, then it's just a circular & pointless & fruitless discussion.

Edit:
    And PAMG trying to use love in his/her analogy, by saying "ah yes, but how do you know anyone loves you?" and "how do you know love is real, or even exists?" really is clutching at straws, and doesn't even hold water as an argument itself. I'll debunk his theory as follows:
    Love is an emotion that we know exists because we ourselves feel it for other people/things - therefore WE KNOW it exists - therefore, we don't have to prove that someone else feels it for us to know it exists. We already know, because we're capable of feeling it ourselves.

Does God exist?

Take the question of love

Then that was a terrible analogy. Belief and love are quite different. You're also going to have to show me how the probability of your god existing is 0.5. Just because two options exist does not mean that each is equally likely. I could claim that I was abducted by aliens and taken to a far away solar system. This is not quite as likely as me lying or being mistaken.

I would also contend that your AI is quite right to demand further evidence. If you ask it to provide criteria for accepting the fact that this person loves you and you satisfy them, it will have no choice but to believe you.

• Advertisement

LOL - says the Catholic.

I'm not a Roman Catholic :pac:
    The lack of any type of evidence whatsoever for the existence of God is sufficient proof for me. Not sure how much more obvious it could be, really. ZERO evidence is quite finite, IMO. It's already absolute - how can there ever be any LESS evidence? It can't even be debated using logic - and if you can't bring logic & reason or any type of tangible proof into a debate, then it's just a circular & pointless & fruitless discussion.

It's where I disagree with you. There is evidence for God's existence. Evidence != proof. Indicatory evidence is something rather different to proof. I believe there are good reasons to believe that God exists, even if you wouldn't consider it proof much in the same way that if I found someones jacket at a murder scene I would see it as an indication that the one who owned the jacket may have murdered the victim even if there is no proof as that this is the case. The more and more indicatory evidence that presents the Bible as being authentic, or that presents God's existence as likely, or anything else (including personal experience) that backs up any other claim for Christianity the more and more reason I have for believing in it.

Repeating 'no evidence' ad-nauseum is the easiest thing one can do. How about giving some real reasons why you don't believe in God. I would suspect that that would be a good deal more challenging for you and a great deal more interesting for us on the thread.

Then that was a terrible analogy. Belief and love are quite different.
    Of course they are different things. But that was not the point of the analogy.

You either believe that God exists or you do not believe that God exists.

You believe that the love exists in the mind of another for you or you do not believe that love exists in the mind of another for you.

Repeating 'no evidence' ad-nauseum is the easiest thing one can do. How about giving some real reasons why you don't believe in God. I would suspect that that would be a good deal more challenging for you and a great deal more interesting for us on the thread.

:confused:
    If the 100% lack of any evidence whatsoever isn't a "real reason" acceptable to you, how can I ever satisfy you in this debate?

Ok - Jimbo Mugokko, the real creator of the universe, came to me in a vision and told me there was no God.
    Proof enough? Is that more down your alley?

If the 100% lack of any evidence whatsoever isn't a "real reason" acceptable to you, how can I ever satisfy you in this debate?

No it isn't a real reason, it's a lazy option and it shows how awful your case is.

When put to scrutiny apart from the "Oh, there's no evidence" lark there's not much left and even that is very questionable. It's really easy to complain about what other people present, it's not quite as easy to present anything coherent for oneself. At least that is what I'm finding with most atheist argumentation at least on boards.ie.

Ok - Jimbo Mugokko, the real creator of the universe, came to me in a vision and told me there was no God.
    Proof enough? Is that more down your alley?

This is the exact problem I was having earlier on in this debate. No evidence to support his believe and yet he says, "well, it's easy to say there's no evidence, so you can't keep using it in your argument".
    I'm not a Roman Catholic :pac:

It's where I disagree with you. There is evidence for God's existence. Evidence != proof.

What evidence? Enlighten us please.

No it isn't a real reason, it's a lazy option and it shows how awful your case is.

Well, I think it's pretty lazy & ignorant to dismiss 100% logical based reasoning as "not a real reason" - the stubbornness is shocking, in fact.

When put to scrutiny apart from the "Oh, there's no evidence" lark there's not much left and even that is very questionable. It's really easy to complain about what other people present, it's not quite as easy to present anything coherent for oneself. At least that is what I'm finding with most atheist argumentation at least on boards.ie.

Ok I'm back to the debate. The "there's no evidence lark" argument is one of the most valid arguments there is. If someone accuses someone of stealing money from them (and they actually just made it up). Then the lack of evidence should have the case dismissed, but with you as a judge, you might believe the accuser (for no reasons other than you really feel it in your heart) and then convict the innocent person? Thank your God your not a judge.

Well, I think it's pretty lazy & ignorant to dismiss 100% logical based reasoning as "not a real reason" - the stubbornness is shocking, in fact.

There's nothing 100% logical about your approach at all IMO.

This is the exact problem I was having earlier on in this debate. No evidence to support his believe and yet he says, "well, it's easy to say there's no evidence, so you can't keep using it in your argument".

I know. The ignorance & denial is actually shocking. The 100% lack of evidence for the existence of God isn't enough! 100%, FFS! It's actually impossible for there to be any less evidence! :confused: Then he says things like "ah, but there is plenty of evidence" and then doesn't specify anything except this:
    The more and more indicatory evidence that presents the Bible as being authentic, or that presents God's existence as likely, or anything else (including personal experience) that backs up any other claim for Christianity the more and more reason I have for believing in it.
    What "indicatory" [not a real word, BTW, but you're used to made-up stuff] evidence? Be specific, man!

• Advertisement

Indicatory evidence is something which indicates that something is true, and it is a word.

I'm glad to know that by your own admission there is no reason for being an atheist bar spouting off about there being "no evidence".

Advertisement