Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American recipes

Options
  • 22-04-2011 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

Just wondering what a "cup" is in grams. I see it in all the US recipes.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

A cup is 240 ml or half a pint.

http://www.jsward.com/cooking/conversion.shtml is helpful for anything else you might need.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It depends on the ingredient. The link posted above looks good but it's worth buying a set of cups if you use a lot of American recipes. They're cheap in Homestore and More.

It depends on the ingredient. The link posted above looks good but it's worth buying a set of cups if you use a lot of American recipes. They're cheap in Homestore and More.

Thanks for that, I always eyeball my measurements since I've always cooked/baked with US measurements but sometimes I'm desperate to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A cup is a measure of volume, not mass (or weight). One cup of flour will weigh a different amount to a cup of sugar.

You need to get yourself a set of measuring cups. They are readily available these days; I saw some in Tesco recently.

Example 1
    dry_measuring_cups.jpg

Example 2
    measuring-cups.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I ended up getting the American measuring cups from kitchencompliments.ie but Tesco are doing them now as well

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dragon123

Just saw this now. The €2 shop on Georges St. Dublin has a full set of measuring cups with spoons for only €2!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

Thanks Dragon, got a set last week.

Advertisement