Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grab rail for a CB-1 400 - possible to make up?

• 22-04-2011 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Old biker back on the road after 20 years off bikes, gettin' my midlife crisis in there before I'm too old for it.

Just back from a spin on my recently acquired (1989) CB-1 and the missus is complaining about the lack of a grab rail. I've suggested she grab on to me instead ;), but said I'd get see about picking one up secondhand (I only paid about €700 for this bike, with new tyres and battery, so I'm not gonna sink a lot of money into it, much though I love it (and her).

Now, it's a naked bike and in fact there isn't a grab rail manufactured specifically for it. And as you can see here the rear cowling doesn't really look like it'd allow for easily 'adapting' a rail off something else (the little holes you can see are more for fitting some kind of top box assembly, I reckon). Does anyone know of a workshop where I could get something made up without spending a small fortune? Ideally near Limerick, although I could travel within reason if needs be. Or am I a bit mad? (I could probably use this as an excuse for an 'upgrade' down the line...)

TIA

[Edit: here's a picture of my own bike, rather than the wikipedia one... on the way back from Dorset last Autumn.]
    index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=19787

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Alot of bike for little money. Nice one. Someone here or ibf should be able to sorry you out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Can you get a Renntec luggage rack for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Yeah, I got lucky - combination of eBay and an old mate in the UK who knows his stuff and was able to do me a favour. :)

KamiKazi, yes, I suppose I could look into a Renntec - they seem to be able to fit them to almost anything - but (a) they ain't cheap, and (b) I don't really want/need a box on the back, just something for a pillion passenger to grab onto...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I haven't seen a grabrail but maybe a luggage rack might do?If you fit a top box they often have a back pad as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Halfords do a belt which the rider wears. It has 2 handles on it which the pillion holds onto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Cheers CJ, but €157 delivered is a bit on the steep side for something I'll only use very occasionally; I might check out that belt JohnnyCrash mentioned (or for that matter improvise something myself!)

the_bitch_fell_off-12184.jpg
    I'm very brave 'cos I know she doesn't use Boards.ie... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Halfords do a belt which the rider wears. It has 2 handles on it which the pillion holds onto

Damn

I was going to say Love Handles.

Otherwise a cheap luggage rack off ebay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I suppose you could get a strap sewn into the seat, like the one in this picture:
    4277470249_e3d6ea8feb.jpg

Advertisement