Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin with osm maps

Options
  • 22-04-2011 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

My garmin maps are a bit outdated and I was gonna use one of the routable openstreetmaps along with the garmin map but only some of the data from the osm shows such as contours whereas items like the Enfield service station don't.
    I was wondering is this normal? can the osm be overlaid to show data from both maps or is this not possible?

My satnav is a 1340 and the map was from http://www.talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I haven't actually tried with having the Garmin and OSM maps on at the same time yet to see what happens. The UK OSM maps route OK for me though, only problem being that the postcode search doesn't work with the Garmin maps turned off. I'm not sure if the same would happen with the Loc8 codes in Ireland as I'd forgotten to load the Irish OSM tiles so had to stick with the Garmin ones.

Is the stuff you see as missing actually on the source OSM maps yet, or has nobody mapped the likes of the service station yet. Likely to be either the maps hasn't yet been drawn or the routeable tiles have not been re-done since they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 boppob

The places are on the new osm maps but it seems when I activate both the garmin and the osm map it seems that only the roads on the garmin show but I suppose it may not be possible anyway as the roads on each map can be in slightly different positions so they probably wouldn't line up or show correctly anyway at the same time.

So this brings me to another question which is better for driving in Dublin a 2010 garmin map or the newest osm map?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I've the OSM map on mine too, it's not working out too well. So you pretty much need to run the Garmin Map.

You can switch off the Garmin Map and the OSM map will [or may] show more details and be more up to date. But it's not a replacement for my Garmin and mine won't route either.

Also you need the Garmin map as the device looks for it on boot.

The osm will route ok for me but I don't think I'd trust them too much as I tried putting in routes that I know and in one case it keeps trying to bring me down a one way street the wrong way(I know a satnav is only a guide). but as a pedestrian map or for being up to date in city or large town they can be quite good.

I wouldn't mind paying garmin so much but apart from being badly outdated they are huge files so on my connection a big no no, and if I buy the dvd update its only an older version I'd get.

Thanks for the replies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

boppob wrote: »
    ... it keeps trying to bring me down a one way street the wrong way...

That means you've identified a problem with the map data and ideally should go and fix it in OSM, or tag the error so that someone else can.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    That means you've identified a problem with the map data and ideally should go and fix it in OSM, or tag the error so that someone else can.

Sorry I thought I had already replied back, I do update mistakes if I find them.

Advertisement