Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chip crack bathroom handbasin

• 22-04-2011 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Long time ago got a small chip in bathroom handbasin. now see tiny crack going from each side of it. How do i fix it, the basin is white

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You dont. Sorry. and if its on a pedestal this will most likely need to be replaced as well.if the basin is tiled in this might be difficult. If its sitting on the tiles easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Resend

anyone used this

It is only a tiny crack barely visible. i do not believe it cannot be repaired. In looke at anothe rproduct which was a filler type one but the crack is too shallow for that

I dont believe in the tooth fairy but there is thousends of people who do. They also learn in time that beliefs are limited.;)

i am in the business a long time. If you believe that product will work then buy it. The problem with that product is it only works with actual lumps gone out of the basin and the filler is very very noticable.

I never understand why somone asks for advice and then says they dont belive that. But then again if you do manage to fix it and show me the results i would be a learner of new knowledge.

i never understand people who think they know everthing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

You may be able to fill the gap but thats about it. It will look unsightly. You cant do anything regarding the crack itself. If there is a crack in it unfortunatley it will worsen over time / use and may even break while someone is using it (if its left to get that bad).

A replacement would be an ideal situation

• Advertisement

You may be able to fill the gap but thats about it. It will look unsightly. You cant do anything regarding the crack itself. If there is a crack in it unfortunatley it will worsen over time / use and may even break while someone is using it (if its left to get that bad).

A replacement would be an ideal situation
    even if it is so tiny i cannot photograph it? i read about drilling a hole at each side of the crack to stop it spreading

Any opinion on that? thanks

Resend wrote: »
    even if it is so tiny i cannot photograph it? i read about drilling a hole at each side of the crack to stop it spreading

This has only every worked on acrylic baths. The problem is trying to steady the drill. The drill vibrates very eratically just like it would on a porc tile. Infact its most likely the crack will grow as a result of the vibration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

That sounds ridiculous , drilling holes int a basin to stop a crack getting worse , if a basin is cracked throw it out and get a new one , the fillers you mentioned are only good for filling large chips taken out of the corner of a shower tray or a basin , not for hairline cracks , even when they are used they look crap , the easiest and safes option is to just replace it , it could break and hurt someone

Drill a hole in the basin .... hmmmm .. interesting :D yes drill a hole in it...

And then buy the replacement when it shatters

If its a hole you can probably fill it.

You can do nothing with a hairline crack on a basin. Over time it will get bigger and eventually the laws of gravity will break it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement