Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staking/securing a rootball tree?

Options
  • 22-04-2011 9:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Is this ok with regards staking/securing a rootball tree,so it doesnt move in the wind?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Law of the lever applies to staking - longer is stronger! Your arrangement restricts root growth without restricting rocking. You should remove stake when tree gets established, could be a problem with this setup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Law of the lever applies to staking - longer is stronger! Your arrangement restricts root growth without restricting rocking. You should remove stake when tree gets established, could be a problem with this setup.

I wanted to do the tripod method (3 stakes and braced over and accross the top of the rootball),but due to the arangement of the multi-stem,I had to use 4 stakes,as I did not want to brace in between the multi-stems themselves.

The stakes go down a full 2 feet into the ground.The bracing goes accross the top of the rootball itself,but doesnt interfer with the 3 seperate stems.

I will be removing the stakes in the future,its just (as you say yourself) to provide some stability while the tree gets established.Then the stakes will come out.

Mixed in plenty of manure and compost into the existing soil,and also some grit too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind securing the rootball and not staking the stem but I would definitely not remove the stakes in the future. I would either take them out now or leave them. I would think you will do more damage taking them out later if the tree does manage to establish.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

I think we can assume from the second picture that the stake arrangement wont be coming out!

Advertisement