Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Upgrade Help Please

Options
  • 22-04-2011 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭

I'll copy and paste the "suggested info" from the sticky, and hopefully someone here can help me.

1) What features are important to you in a phone? (i.e. camera, gps, FM radio, Stereo Bluetooth)

A good camera would be nice, but primarily just need a phone to talk and text on. Light internet browsing would be useful too.

2) Form factor - i.e. touchscreen, slider, flip phone, etc.

Again, not too picky here. As long as it's fairly solid, I'm happy. Too many new phones I've seen look horribly flimsy.

3) Internet - is 3G/mobile internet important, or WiFi/EDGE

I've never had a phone with either of those. If I could get one that lets me use my wifi at home for free, that would be great. I would like to be able to maybe use things like google maps or see my facebook, gmail etc... but again, not a necessity.

4) Operator - have you an operator preference -

Whatever's cheapest. I'm in the greater Dublin area so coverage isn't an issue. I text more than I talk, and hear Meteor has a "free internet and text" package, so I like the sound of that. Although if any of you know better, please let me know.

5) Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free - have you a preference for either

Pre-pay, definitely.

6) Price range

I don't have any issues with being "up to date" or having any designer phones, so don't fancy spending too much. Definitely not in the iPhone ranges... so let's say under €200 for sure, but I'd probably only want to realistically be paying half of that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

How about this? Once unlocked you can put any network SIM in, until you find the deal that best suits your usage.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056248768

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Quest

Not sure if this is where to ask, but does Meteor charge separately for tethering / iPhone hotspot? i.e is it included in a standard data bundle that you use on your smartphone or do you need a separate bundle?

And now that I think about it - what about the other networks? I've just found out that Vodafone charges separately :mad: - and my money/account is on its way to the first network I find that doesn't.

It's all data!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Samsung Galaxy Ace is a pretty new phone with offering enough value for money. Its 250 on Meteor PAYG. Its a bit of a stretch but you just get that small bit extra for it :)

@Quest No meteor doesnt charge for Wifi hotspots or tethering :) You pay 69c a day for 50mb on PAYG and you can do what you like with it.

You top up 20 a month for your usual PAYG plan and you can use that 20 for internet. If thats what your asking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Quest

Thanks - that is more or less what I was asking. Except I don't use PAYG at the moment on Vodafone - though would move to that if it's better value than billpay.

Am definitely moving from Vodafone who are charging twice for the same service. Now the choice is whether I go to Meteor, or 3 who apparently don't charge separately either.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

No problem :)

You can sign up to Bill Pay Smart Lite 30 for 25pm and get 200 mins/texts and 1GB of data + free calls and texts

Though you have to ask sales rep can they avail the online offer of 25pm instead of 30pm. You will get 5 euro off for a year

• Advertisement
Advertisement