Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whovian References

• 22-04-2011 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭

On tonights Criminal Minds on Sky Living Spencer Reid was chatting away to yonder other law enforecment wallah in their jet plane (no recession there) about a blue police box, and how it was done 25 years before Bill and Ted, which should be more accuratly called "Bill and Ted's Excellent Rip off"

A few weeks ago in House, Doctor Throb (well I assume thats his name given all the riding he gets up to) was talking about how he watches "Classic Doctor Who" BBC America.

Anyone else spotted any whovian references??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

In the new Knight Rider, at a Hallowe'en party one of the characters dressed as Captain Jack, who others I think called "the gay alien"

In a CSI:NY episode about time travel, Flack said "paging Doctor Who", and when the 'time machine' in that episode was 'working', the materialisation sound was in the background

There's a CSI Vegas episode called 'Doctor Who'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

NCIS.... they break into a shipping containment unit and the comment is something along the lines of 'this is like the tardis... the tard what?.... the box Dr Who drives around in...Dr Who?.... Who watches that?'
    There's a few in Family Guy/The Simpsons too :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

In Joss Whedon's run of X-men, you can see the graffiti "bad wolf" scrawled along a wall in one panel.

In an attempt to make their popular giant robot character Death's head more usable in comics, Marvel had him shrunk down in an issue where he crossed time streams with the seventh Doctor to human size using the Masters matter decompression technology. This technically means the Doctor exists in some form in the Marvel comics universe- and the marvel transformers continuity!

I can't find the clip of the Tardis from that sit com set in pre historic times...

Found it.

I think I haven't got to curse of fatal death or dimensions in time yet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

On tonights Criminal Minds on Sky Living Spencer Reid was chatting away to yonder other law enforecment wallah in their jet plane (no recession there) about a blue police box, and how it was done 25 years before Bill and Ted, which should be more accuratly called "Bill and Ted's Excellent Rip off"

You've basically summarised the whole thing but I thought I'd throw in the clip anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

In Joss Whedon's run of X-men, you can see the graffiti "bad wolf" scrawled along a wall in one panel.

In an attempt to make their popular giant robot character Death's head more usable in comics, Marvel had him shrunk down in an issue where he crossed time streams with the seventh Doctor to human size using the Masters matter decompression technology. This technically means the Doctor exists in some form in the Marvel comics universe- and the marvel transformers continuity!
    Indeed they do.
    wm7Kn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

In the ahistory book it is suggested that the Federation of Blakes 7 is in fact the same Federation that we saw the Third and Fourth Doctor visiting every so often.

If you think my posts are occasionally hard going you should avoid this at all costs

http://www.amazon.com/Ahistory-Unauthorized-History-Doctor-Universe/dp/0972595996

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The German built Funnybot from South Park looks a little familar.

sp_1502_clip06.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

There is a nod to the Doctor in Brisinger, the third book of the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. I can't remember exactly what it says as I haven't read the book since it came out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

China Mieville's novel "Kraken" talks about making a sonic screw driver. It's a nerdfest love in mentioning "Star Trek", "Blake's 7" and "Firefly" as well.

Aoifums wrote: »
    There is a nod to the Doctor in Brisinger, the third book of the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. I can't remember exactly what it says as I haven't read the book since it came out.

Oh yeah my friend told me about that. Something about a lonely God. *googles*
    Adrift upon the sea of time, the lonely god wanders from shore to distant shore, upholding the laws of the stars above.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

Theres also a reference in A Town Called Eureka, the episode Stoned

Zane hacks into Department of Defense computers to hunt down a plot point that needs hunting down, and then he asks of Fargo, Jo, and the others who put his illegal skills to use:
    So, anything else you wanna know while I’m in there? Launch codes, defense plans, TARDIS blueprints?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Sheldon watches doctor who on BBC America on a Saturday morning In the big bang theory....

Carry on screaming was just on. There's a character in it called Dr. What. When asked, he said "Who's my uncle" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

I think someone mentioned the reference in the book Brisingr before? either way there's a reference in the book Inheritance when a character is knitting a hat with a word around the edge of it. when asked what it is she says its "raxacor.. but you wouldnt understand"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's also a Dreamworks movie!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0327084/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Sleepy wrote: »
    It's also a Dreamworks movie!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0327084/

No Who references in the film though, just a few weak Ben Folds tracks. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

But it has Bruce Willis voicing a RACOON!

Advertisement