Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon bridge at about 20:40

• 22-04-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like something happened there tonight. The gardai had the bridge blocked off when I was passing Jurys, and there were three units from Limerick fire brigade in the area, coupled with a number of Garda cars, an ambulance, and what looked like the river rescue crew in the water.

There were lots of people looking into the river, and looked very anxious.

If it was what it looked like, I hope the river rescue guys got there in time and the person was saved and can get help.

What I do know is that the response time from the fire brigade, river rescue, Gardai and ambulance must have been amazing as I went across the bridge at maybe 20:20 and when I was coming back they had the place organised and the boat was in the river.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I am near the absolute hotel and I heard the fire engines and squad cars flying by too, I know now they were heading there.
    Do 95fm update their site at weekends?

I really hope there is a happy ending to this. This is happening way too much lately :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Just heard on the radio that it was a guy threatening to jump and that he was talked down.

Hopefully the guy will get some aid with whatever drove him to the point of trying to jump off of the bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Hardly a high bridge - and with emergency teams there - they would most likely have gotten to him had he jumpes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Mc Love wrote: »
    Hardly a high bridge - and with emergency teams there - they would most likely have gotten to him had he jumpes

It's not the height of the bridge, it's the currents that do the damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Jesus, again? Lost count of the number of these threads over the last six months or so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

foinse wrote: »
    It's not the height of the bridge, it's the currents that do the damage.

And how a person hits the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Mc Love wrote: »

What ridicules statement! You should tell that to the countless families who have lost relatives, relatives who have through desperation lost their lives on these "hardly high bridges" you speak of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

baza1976 wrote: »
    What ridicules statement! You should tell that to the countless families who have lost relatives, relatives who have through desperation lost their lives on these "hardly high bridges" you speak of

easy there brother,i dont think he meant any harm with that statement.i think what he meant was there would be sufficent time to rescue the guy if he did jump.

and has there really been a few of these incidents recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

You'd be surprised, a girl drowned recently even with kayakers in the river trying to get to her, if you get caught in a current or dragged under it's not always easy to get help in time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Cool Runnings

Hopefully this person will now get the supports they so deserve.Thinking of this person and their family at this very difficult time .

For anyone that is feeling they need some support , check out the work of www.olagola.com - they are also on facebook Help Reduce Suicide Depression and Stress Related Illnesses In Young Adults.

Their are also plenty of 24 hour phone and texts services for anyone that needs the support - you are not alone and their is support out there !

Advertisement