Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap car insurance for young drivers?

• 22-04-2011 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

So i want to get cheap car insurance as a young female driver, i've seen aviva's deal (10 nlessons and 6 months cover for €500) but unfortunately none of my family are insured with aviva for anything so i cant avail of it, although do you think if i rand them up and ppleeded with them they'd give me the deal?

Other than that is there anyway i could get insurance for cheap?

I've looked for quotes as my mom as the main driver and me as a named one but that only reduces the price by about €200

Are there any other deals insurance companies are running?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Chnandler Bong

<snip hilarious comment>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

anyway you look at it, young (17-20) with provisional, small car (1-1.4l) will be 1000-2500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 eggineer

so there are no deals available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Try internet brokers (i.e. Best Quote, etc.), they're usually cheaper, but still not cheap if you're young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ring around to brokers next week. I found online quotes to be terrible. Although i'm a guy...so insurance just sucks for me anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Been there done that,just swap your mom over to aviva,best case scenario her insurance might come down too and you get insured for 6 months with 10 driving lessons for 400 euro,theres no better value then that!

I was gettin quotes of 5-6 grand for a 1.0l 1987 starlet,its degrading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Tomebagel wrote: »
    I was gettin quotes of 5-6 grand for a 1.0l 1987 starlet,its degrading

Well to be fair, those starlets have a terrible rep these days because they've suddenly become cool for some reason or another. I'm sure if you got a quote on a Mazda 121 it would be less than half that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

im paying 1800 on provisional, 18, shop around its the best thing you can do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Unfortunately OP, its just something we all have to go through, 10 years ago paid over 3 and a half grand on a 94 clio. Now its 510 on my landcruiser, no cheap way out. Unless you can get older...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Im very happy with FBD, would recommend them.

Im paying €980 as a 21 yo male, 3 years NCB with a 1.8 litre Astra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

even though I turn 27 in 2 months I'm still being screwed for insurance. (male)

I got my full license over a year ago but went abroad 2 weeks later so I don't have any no claims bonus. My insurance with aviva (cheapest I could get after ringing around brokers all day) was for €940, (on a 1.4) it has the potential to go down a further 20-40% depending on how I do in their ignition course.

So in theory it could go down to €752 / €564 based on my test score. the €750 price is something along the lines of what i expected to pay with most insurance companies, but what can you do??

The only way to get cheaper insurance is to get older and build up driving experience and a no claims bonus on your own name. You just have to take the hit (financially) for the first few years, if driving is what you want to do)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I got the Aviva Deal (although I think it was only €400/€450 when I got it - about a year and 5 months ago).

It's probably the best value you'll get as a learner, moreso if you're male. (being female is a significant advantage in terms of insurance quotes).

None of my parents were with Aviva, but my mother switched over. She had to end her current insurance policy, but you get a certain percentage of the money back (for the remainder of the policy). It's not that difficult to switch insurance policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 aravmithun

Try chill.ie or insure.ie................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sarahcoles30

aravmithun wrote: »
    Try chill.ie or insure.ie................

You mean to say churchill ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 eggineer

After ringing around and trying to get a good 20 different quotes ( I didnt know there were that many brokers in Ireland!) I managed to find my cheapest insurance, as one earlier poster said, Aviva really is the best.
    I managed to get insured with my mom as the main driver and me as named driver for €770 on a 1.1L. Delighted, even though I still am going to have to pay for lessons.

God help us women drivers next year when the equality act comes in though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Well done OP, i quite vividly remember my first insurance was 2.5k so congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 rocky112

eggineer wrote: »
    After ringing around and trying to get a good 20 different quotes ( I didnt know there were that many brokers in Ireland!) I managed to find my cheapest insurance, as one earlier poster said, Aviva really is the best.
    I managed to get insured with my mom as the main driver and me as named driver for €770 on a 1.1L. Delighted, even though I still am going to have to pay for lessons.

God help us women drivers next year when the equality act comes in though!!

Ya its really best to get insured with your mom's car insurance policy as the main driver and you as named driver. And Aviva is best and cheapest around €770 on 1.1L you can also go for companies which provide a black box as a part of the insurance policy which is really very helpful.

You mean to say churchill ?

I imagine he means chill.ie, like he typed :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ondeball

Try bestquote.ie - they did a lot of looking around for me when I was working in a job that meant higher premiums and they even advised me that, due to the fact I wasn't using my car for work, I could use a different description and I save €400.

Bit of advice on here as well: http://www.irishtimes.com/money/car-insurance/

Advertisement