Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eczema

Options
  • 22-04-2011 10:54pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Cillian has what I think is eczema at the backs of his knees and it seems to be worsening in the hot weather :( I've been lashing sudocrem on it, I've also tried E45 and Silcocks Base but nothing seems to work..

The Sudocrem helps for a little while but nothing seems to be getting rid of it.. Anyone know of a miracle cure?

He has his next round of shots next week so I'm going to say it to my GP but in the meantime if there's anything I can get over the counter I'd be very grateful to hear about it??

I'm almost sure it's eczema, it's just a redness in the folds of skin :o

Thanks guys..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

Try pure coconut oil. You can buy it from the pharmacist. It is natural and has no perfumes. It's also brilliant for cradle cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Addison has a bad case of it on her back and the only thing that clears it up is Oilatum... I have a cream to rub on her and a liquid thing to put in the bath too... got it in the pharmacy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Megan had eczema and the doctor prescribed Hydrocortisil 1% which cleared it up a treat. It is a very mild steroid cream. I couldn't get in to the docs to get a repeat prescription in the snow but I went to my local pharmacy and they sell it over the counter anyway.

Your pharmacist is actually a great resource and if you take the wee fella into the chemist and show them the rash, they will probably be able to suggest a cream for you.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thanks everyone.. I took him into the Pharmacist this morning and she gave me Aqueium (sp).. I've to bath him in it and also lash it on his sore spots throughout the day..

I had just started putting E45 cream on it last night but she said that's the worst thing you can do for eczema :eek: good thing I went in to her...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Awh its awful in the hot weather! The poor little mites! My little fella breaks out in it every now and again and emulsifying ointment gets rid of it nearly over night! Its brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

My daughter reacts really badly to anything with sodium laurel sulphate in it, which is almost everything. Since I've removed this she has had no problems with her skin, she is even able to go swimming as much as she likes.

She is 10 now and has been great for 2 years, except for once when I used a different shampoo thinking once would be ok, she had the worst reaction that she has ever had, her face was all red and swollen, before this it was just the back of her knees and elbows and her hands.

She cannot use silcox base or aqueous cream or any of the usual creams which I was using and was making it worse. Its worth checking everything your child uses tooth paste, soap, creams ect. The special shampoo leaves her hair lank but some of the panten shampoos are ok. You can get a body wash in Lidl that is sls free for about €2.99. It is really worth cutting this out and see how your child reacts.

Getting some omega oils into them also helps your child's skin a-lot helps prevent the skin getting too dry which is what causes a lot of these problems in the first place.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

baby rylie has excema in the exact same place, it flared up when he was about 12 weeks old and he still gets it from time to time (he's nearly 2)

I tried everything and eventually hit the miracle cream jackpot- not sure if you're based in Dublin but there's a chemist in Dundrum called Bagwans pharmacy and they do an excema cream that literally cleared the excema overnight, we use it all the time and I swear by it. You'd have to bring your little fella with you because Mr. Bagwan has a look at the rash to make sure he knows what it is before making the cream up.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

My son who just turned 1 has very bad patches on the front of his legs. Ive tried everything going and what works is emulsifying ointment as a wash in the bath, its in those huge tubs like silcocks base. Then when he gets out I moisturize him with Aveeno cream, theres a few different types of this but we use the one with the green lid, I think it contains oatmeal, its def not the one one thats perfumed with lavender though. My phn recommended it as a lot of parents raved about it to her. I cant tell you the difference its made. Just another option for you anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MooMoo100

My two year old and his dad suffer badly from eczema. sudocream just dries out the skin more and E45 is the worst ever. I use emulsifying ointment in the bath, and I find a quick cool bath with some bread soda in it is great for instant relief during a bad itching period. The steroid creams are great but can only be used short term and the problem usually comes back straight away. I found a cream which if applied about twice daily keeps the skin moisturised and helps keep the itching at bay. The brand is La Roche Posay, and its called Lipikar Baume AP. Its good but stings if applied to broken skin. I also found switching from cows milk to goats milk helped a bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

Switching to goats milk didn't help my son. Two creams I heard great things about Mushatts no 9 lotion and Epaderm Emolient are good creams but didn't help either.
    Avoiding central heating seems to make a difference to my son. His skin is always perfect in the summer time and this winter I was home on mat leave and his skin cleared up completely and I believe it's because I don't have the central heating on all day whereas the childminder did. Just my experience/opinion on it anyhow.

• Advertisement

My GP prescribed him some hydrochortizone cream and it cleared it up great :) his skin is perfect now.. I'm still bathing him in the Aquious cream and applying it to him all over afterwards.. I think I'll keep doing that as his skin has never looked better..

No more baby lotions, baby bubble baths or baby oils coming into this house.. I think they were the problem to begin with :(

Yeah I find those commercial baby products are desperate for the skin. Glad you've sorted it out, and hope you don't suffer anymore flare ups. Central heating is also a huge problem for my son, and any colds or infections also cause flare ups. Lately I have been giving him seaweed baths which give great relief and really help him sleep, don't smell great though!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Anke

Yeah, I find the seaweed baths great. They don't smell very nice, but smaller kids don't tend to mind it as much as us adults! I got aalgo seaweed powder from an Irish online store. I got some PJs for my little one there too and they've worked brilliantly to ease the itching. Got our first night's sleep in ages the first time he wore them. Really made a huge difference.

Hi Anke, I would be very interested in those pajamas, as we are currently getting no sleep at night no matter what we use. Could you pm me that website please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Anke

Just sent that to you now. I hope it works for you. Lack of sleep is the toughest.

Thanks a million Anke, that site looks very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

Our son has a rash on his face and body and the hydrcortisyl cream is working great on his body but cant use it on face, we are also bathing him in Oilatum and have Aqueous cream so just wondered about putting either of these creams on his face, is it ok? dont want to leave any marks or anything on his face

Winnie wrote: »
    Our son has a rash on his face and body and the hydrcortisyl cream is working great on his body but cant use it on face, we are also bathing him in Oilatum and have Aqueous cream so just wondered about putting either of these creams on his face, is it ok? dont want to leave any marks or anything on his face

My Doctor told me the Hydrochortisil can be used sparingly on the face, once it's a 1% one and nothing stronger.. I've been using it whenever his face breaks out and it clears it up within hours.. hasn't been doing him any harm.. I wouldn't use it too often though.. only when absolutely needed..

I mix a tiny amount of hrdrocortisyl cream with oilatum cream to use on my sons face and it works really well.

I find aqueous cream stings the face by the way, but i know everyone is different. Personally I would use Silcock's Base, but you know better what works for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Thankfully I've never had eczema but my other half has had it since he was a few months old. He has it everywhere, eyebrows to toes.

We have tried everything as you can imagine but found oatmeal is really good. you can put some porridge in a sock and put that in the bath or use Aveeno.

I've used the porridge bath on the little one and her skin is great after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

ladyella wrote: »
    My son who just turned 1 has very bad patches on the front of his legs. Ive tried everything going and what works is emulsifying ointment as a wash in the bath, its in those huge tubs like silcocks base. Then when he gets out I moisturize him with Aveeno cream, theres a few different types of this but we use the one with the green lid, I think it contains oatmeal, its def not the one one thats perfumed with lavender though. My phn recommended it as a lot of parents raved about it to her. I cant tell you the difference its made. Just another option for you anyway!

Hi ladyella, I'm on a big tub of this but how would you use it in a bath:confused:

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Hi ladyella, I'm on a big tub of this but how would you use it in a bath:confused:

Mix a big spoon of it into a jug of boiling water and leave it for a few minutes, it melts into a milky solution.. then just add that to your baby's bath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Anke could you pm me the online site you got the pjs from thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Our little man started to develop excema on his arms and his legs with patches on his cheeks. Tried a few moisturizers, creams etc.

But read online this one and it cleared everything up in just a week.

Use silcox base as a bath wash - nothing else bar a little bit of Johnson's for the hair. Wash body with a soft sponge with generous amounts of silcoxs base. Just stick the sponge into the tub and apply to the skin.

After bath lightly dry baby with a soft towel the massage arms and legs with emulsifying ointment. Rub the ointment in between your fingers/hands before applying to make it soft and warm.

Made a huge difference straight away and has kept it at bay since.

Ps. The massage with emulsifying ointment completely knocks him out for bed as well.

Pps. Dunno what age you're baby is but if ye are still breast feeding, put breast milk on it. My wife absolutely swore it was great if the baby had a sore patch of skin etc. there is research to verify that it can help (and it won't do any harm)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes agree with putting breastmilk on it.

Advertisement