Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with my laptop wireless capability

Options
  • 22-04-2011 11:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭

Today my wireless capability on my laptop switched off suddenly. I rebooted the computer. The 'on' light flickered on on the wireless switch for a few moments then went off again. Repeated this, same again. I'm being told to switch on my wireless capability but it already switched on. I'm also wondering why it comes on a few moments at the beginning then goes off. I checked device management and was told everything was working properly.

My laptop is a Sony VAIO and I have Windows Vista.

Any idea what the problem could be? I'm fearing the worst! :)

Thanks!

Mods, move this if it's not in the right place!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

have you tried trouble shoot?

also try a system restore set it back a day or 2 , maybe an update caused problem?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

antocann wrote: »
    have you tried trouble shoot?

also try a system restore set it back a day or 2 , maybe an update caused problem?

I tried all the suggested troubleshooting, no luck.

I had Windows updates waiting to be installed but hadn't yet started them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you tried reinstalling the driver for the wireless card? (or checking if there is an update?)

Well, I've noticed that AVG updated yesterday and that when it switched back on when I turned on the computer, my wireless went off. Hmmm.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Well, I've noticed that AVG updated yesterday and that when it switched back on when I turned on the computer, my wireless went off. Hmmm.

Try temporarily turning off avg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

VAIO's have a "software switch" for the wireless, as well as the physical switch.

In the system tray, you might have an icon for "Vaio Smart Network" or "Wireless Switch Utility.
    Go into that, and ensure that the WLAN is enabled.

Thanks, will try those now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Not a broadband issue, thread moved to Wireless.

Advertisement