Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grooming Advice - Wire Haired Terriers

• 22-04-2011 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

My two crossbreed terriers both have wire coats and I have been wondering if I should take them to a professional groomer.
    I keep their coats reasonably tidy with a Furminator type tool, although they are just naturally scruffy - which is part of their appeal.
    I have been told though, that a professional handstripping would be beneficial for their coats. I thought that this was mostly done for showing terriers, so am interested to hear what people's thoughts are on this. The little one needs her nails clipped and I was going to go to the vets (scared to do it myself, and her walks haven't worn them down sufficiently), but am now wondering if I should bring her to a groomers for the full works!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I have a wirehaired terrier as well but I clip him down a few times a year and brush him with a slicker brush and a comb once a week or more when he's shedding (like at the moment :rolleyes:).

You'l be hardpressed to find a groomer who will handstrip as it takes too much time. Most will just clip them. A groomer will clip her nails too, if you have a nail clippers and an extra set of hands to restrain her it's a simple job to do (unless she has black nails but even so just be extra cautious in how much you clip off).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Hi Mosi
    I'm a groomer, and have rarely been asked to hand strip, even though I love doing it.

I have sent you a PM to a link from my facebook page of 2 wire haired terriers I groomed, without hand stripping them, and they still maintained the scruffy/vagabond look!

Unless you are very particular, a hand strip session would be a bit of a marathon for them.

The right tools can take a huge amount of hair off, along with a bath and a good blast of the blaster!

Be careful with the nails as the above poster says.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I handstrip my terriers and if you enquire with different groomers you should be able to find someone that will handstrip although it may cost a little more. If a groomer won't or does not know how to handstrip, then go elsewhere.

Handstripping leaves a much better result than clipping. It leaves the dog with the correct wiry weatherproof coat as all you are removing is the dead coat. I use chalk, stripping knife and one of those rubber thumb things to give a better grip. I really enjoy stripping out the dogs coat and the dogs look fantastic as a result of it being done by hand.

Advertisement