Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the holodeck in startrek be possible

Options
  • 23-04-2011 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Can you imagine how addictive something like that would be

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No thank you, I prefer real buttons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Seriously, keep these new threads relevant to the A&R forum.
    Thread moved the the Trek forum, where it'll be appreciated more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I think a similar concept is not too far off.

A lot less advanced but dual or triple projector combined with the next generation of the xbox connect system would allow for a type of interactive 3D experience. No solid material created but a step towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I was thinking about this recently and arrived at the conclusion that no, its essentially impossible unless you have a godlike mastery over the physical universe. I have a substitute idea but I'm not telling anyone as it might be stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Seriously, keep these new threads relevant to the A&R forum.
    Thread moved the the Trek forum, where it'll be appreciated more.

Where was this before?? Can't imagine it belonging anywhere else??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

somuj wrote: »
    Where was this before?? Can't imagine it belonging anywhere else??

Arcade and Retro.

Can you imagine how addictive something like that would be

Def would be addictive. Finish work, eat dinner, strip naked and beam me into Quarks :D:D

Closet thing I've got to it was a 24 pack and a bag of mushrooms running around my sitting room :P

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

I was thinking about this recently and arrived at the conclusion that no, its essentially impossible unless you have a godlike mastery over the physical universe. I have a substitute idea but I'm not telling anyone as it might be stolen.

You don't have to say here but hurry up and get it produced, a holodeck or comparable technology would be amazing. :p

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    You don't have to say here but hurry up and get it produced, a holodeck or comparable technology would be amazing. :p

It would basically require the tranmission of an, i dunno, electro magnetic? data stream to different areas of the brain handling the cognition of reality, the encoded data would tell those areas to believe and see this or that world and these or those characters. In order for it to work it would require a complete understanding of the brain, its coding/architecture, and formalizing this into a computer language, it would also require an AI for the transmitter as I'm assuming not everyone's brain coding is the same, essentially such a device would tune into a persons neural coding. It's not going to be done anytime soon. So basically a tv station transmits the data to a transmitter/receiver which then transmits the information to the brain telling it what to see and experience.

It would basically require the tranmission of an, i dunno, electro magnetic? data stream to different areas of the brain handling the cognition of reality, the encoded data would tell those areas to believe and see this or that world and these or those characters. In order for it to work it would require a complete understanding of the brain, its coding/architecture, and formalizing this into a computer language, it would also require an AI for the transmitter as I'm assuming not everyone's brain coding is the same, essentially such a device would tune into a persons neural coding. It's not going to be done anytime soon. So basically a tv station transmits the data to a transmitter/receiver which then transmits the information to the brain telling it what to see and experience.
    Ah like the thing Ransom had on Nova ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

This made the news a few years ago, a 3 axis moveable conveyor belt. Immediate thoughts at the time from the gadget sites related to the holodeck :

Ah like the thing Ransom had on Nova ;)

Damn, someone thought of it first, is that a tv show or the radio station?

I think the Riddler had one in Batman...

Damn, someone thought of it first, is that a tv show or the radio station?

Captain Ransom on USS Equinox, not Nova sorry. It's a Nova class ship...
    Voyager episode

Captain Ransom on USS Equinox, not Nova sorry. It's a Nova class ship...
    Voyager episode

Well then it definately won't work, any science idea in voyager relied on magic

Advertisement