Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the holodeck in startrek ever be possible

• 23-04-2011 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I was wondering today about this , does anyone think this will be possible or is it purely science fiction

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Console

Most probably one day yeah.
    If you went back 120 years ago and said to someone that we will have planes in the sky, have personal computers in which we can talk and see people from the other side of the world, electronical devices as small as a match box etc etc ... i think those people would of been skeptical ;)

The technology boom has only really happened in the last 100 years or so. Give mankind another 200 years we dont know where we will be at.
    thats my two cents anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Two words.

Augmented Reality.

So, we're nearly there! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Yeah, but it will really mess up cheese

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Yeah, but it will really mess up cheese

Does that smirk annoy anyone else? And where's my jetpack? We were promised jet packs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

This is what we'll be walking on to avoid headbutting walls.

I read somewhere that "they" are able to transport stones now aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I read somewhere that "they" are able to transport stones now aswell.

Big-Dump-Truck-Photos.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

That looks like sand.:P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MarkR wrote: »
    Does that smirk annoy anyone else? And where's my jetpack? We were promised jet packs!
    Back in 1965 the 007 film Thunderball used a real jet pack in the oppening sequence.

The technology has been around that long. Blame the marketing peoples or the Healty and Safety nutters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

I remember seeing something about this on rte news a few years ago. Some scientist people 'transported' a laser beam from one side of a lab to the other. As in they actually deconstructed it molecule by molecule (I don't think there were many of them as these things go) and then reconstructed it on the other side of the lab. That was supposed to have been the 'first step' to star-trek style 'beam me up Scot' like stuff. Dunno if they've gotten any further since then.

Advertisement