Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog WANTED: Galway east. Any age/sex preferably med. Breed

Options
  • 23-04-2011 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

So my dog passed a way late last year and I was wondering if there is anyone giving away/selling a puppy/dog in the tuam corofin area.

Sex: preferably female but not fussy
    Breed: any med. to big breed
    Price: giving away - €350
    Notes: I want a loving family dog that has good temperament and is house broken or nearly. Doesnt need to be MC. neutered spayed good w/ other animals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Have you tried contacting EGAR? If I were you I'd arrange to visit the dogs there and take a few for walks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

The rescue route is probably the best one for you to go - there are loads of fantastic dogs around the country that are in need of homes. There are pure breeds and mixed breeds of all shapes and sizes, almost all rescues will neuter their dogs before they leave them, along with vaccinate and chip them. You will just need to pay a flat fee (or more, if you want) and all this will be done for you. Quite a lot of rescues work on getting dogs used to homes by getting them accustomed to house life, toilet training (or at least partially), lead training etc. They will also assess the dog to see if it is good with kids, other dogs, cats - the list goes on - and won't home a dog into an unsuitable circumstance.

www.irishanimals.ie is a really good starting point for finding the right dog, research breeds to see what ones are suitable for you. By rescuing a dog you are giving them another chance at good life, giving your money to a worthy cause and getting a great new pet - win win!

If you do decide to buy a dog from a breeder - please make sure they are ethical and do health tests (hip scoring, MRIs ECGs etc.). Unfortunately, we live in a country where this is the exception and there are so many dodgy breeders out there that abuse dogs and see them as cash cows as opposed to genuinely loving the breed and their dogs. The unfortunate result of this is so many dogs end up with health problems, and many more in pounds and rescues around the country because people did not do the research and ended up with a dog totally unsuitable for their lifestyle, got sick of/bored of the dog or just couldn't cope anymore. Rescues are stuffed to the rafters because people made bad choices choosing a dog and a breeder, and people not neutering their animals - please do the research!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

OP I am currently trying to rehome a labrador cross, heres the link to my post in the rehoming thread;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71717539&postcount=894

She ticks every box from what you say in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Rachelle Loves Labradors

**Vai** wrote: »
    OP I am currently trying to rehome a labrador cross, heres the link to my post in the rehoming thread;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71717539&postcount=894

She ticks every box from what you say in your post.

I'd love to but I can't Because we are in Galway and presumably your from Laois If you were in Galway I think shed be perfect. Lovely name by the way like in brother bear

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Most rescue "operations" involve some transport. Lots of people help out with transport runs so if a dog seems to be the one for you, and transport is a problem for you, you shouldn't let it put you off. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Have you tried http://www.madra.ie/ ? They do great work and deserve every support they can get!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

have a look at these beauts from MADRA!

diego_-_labrador_-_male_20110505_1729033669.jpg
    Diego
    Its hard to believe that Diego has been abandoned as he is such a lovely dog and is still only a youngster of about 10 months old. He is full of fun but also very eager to please and will make a great dog for anyone looking for a medium sized, easy going, lovable, handsome addition to the family

brady_-_labrador_x_-_male_20110408_1705788493.jpg
    Brady
    Brady is a stunning black Labrador x who is a very calm boy for his age ( we think he is about 10 months) He was found wandering and has not been reclaimed so is now ready to find his new home. Brady will pretty much settle in anywhere as he is not terribly big in size and is a very well behaved dog who loves people.

glen_-_collie_-_male_20110328_1031678541.jpg
    Glen
    Glen is yet another Collie boy about 10 months old and he is very well behaved and obedient. Glen is a small light-limbed Collie who would settle very well into urban living once he gets regular walks and a cosy place to call home. He also gets on very well with other dogs.

I can tell you from first hand experience that Glen is an absolute GEM! He is super friendly and has a wonderful temperment, he's just so loving and affectionate and would make a fantastic pet:)

Advertisement