Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

space Shuttle and Fuel Tank visible April 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Discodog wrote: »
    I read somewhere that there would be a greater separation distance between the shuttle & the tank & boosters. Last time they were all visible together. Is there any reason why they would be further apart on this launch by the time they pass over us ?.

The SRB's(boosters) are well gone by the time we potentially get to see her. The tank will be following behind the Orbiter and at a lower altitude as it will have been jettisoned about 8 minutes prior to us seeing it and will have begun its descent to earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

CO19 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for that :) I have the latest version of media player for windows and I re-downloaded it again to see would that work but still doesn't.
    It was working fine one they,media player would just open up and start playing when I'd click on 'Live ISS streaming' then bang the next day it stops working yet I can still watch the normal public channel :confused: .
    Can't think how else to get it back working again from here :(

Get VLC player

best media player around

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

lord lucan wrote: »
    The SRB's(boosters) are well gone by the time we potentially get to see her. The tank will be following behind the Orbiter and at a lower altitude as it will have been jettisoned about 8 minutes prior to us seeing it and will have begun its descent to earth.

Well last time the shuttle, tank & srb's were close together. My neighbour got a photo showing all four objects in the same frame. It puzzled me when I watched it as I had assumed that the srb's are dumped into the Atlantic.

The shuttle appeared as fast moving star with a larger orange star below it (the tank) & two smaller stars following behind ( the boosters).

That doesn't make any sense tbh as the SRB's are jettisoned 2 minutes into flight,taking 7/8 minutes to fall back to the ocean. They separate around the 150,000ft mark and keep going to just beyond the 200,000ft mark before falling back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

khlebnikov wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this. Managed to see it the last time it passed over a couple of years ago, it was a spectacular sight. We just have to pray for the clear skies now!! Sky News were fairly good with their coverage of the Discovery launch last time round, dont know if they'll be as good this time round though. Fox news should be showing a good bit of it as well.

I have a funny feeling that Sky Fox et al will be fully preoccupied with a certain other event on the 29th!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

That certain event will be well over before the shuttle launches, fox will be the best bet , will we see the shuttle if its clear as it wont be dark when its due to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭12april1981

img001.jpg

nasa-kelly-astronaut-twins-reunited.jpg

Myself and Greg Johnson in Tralee around 10 years ago..Lets all hope we have clear skies friday !

Storm 10 wrote: »
    That certain event will be well over before the shuttle launches, fox will be the best bet , will we see the shuttle if its clear as it wont be dark when its due to pass.

Hi Storm 10 People with far more experiance than me all say it will be if there is clear skies.
    I have seen it once and i will never forget it.!!!!

Check out Derra's post where he links to a thread that Calibos started in 2009. go to the pages dated !5th July 2009,were you can view peoples pics and videos taken of the flyover;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71843260&postcount=2

might not be for everybody but if you have full time access to a computer NASA TV give all day coverage before fueling starts,all the highlights such as the crew leaving for the Shuttle,being strapped in etc,
    It is terrific to see the Launch live from Florida and then see it pass overhead with the orange tank trailing just behind it approx 17 minutes later!:)

NASA TV Link;

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17 khlebnikov

clln wrote: »
    I have a funny feeling that Sky Fox et al will be fully preoccupied with a certain other event on the 29th!;)

yeah, wont be on the main sky news but should at least be on the red button though. it was last time anyway, they showed a couple of hours of coverage prior to the launch as well. its a pity we cant get the nasa channel over this side. my internet connection isnt the greatest for streaming.

clln wrote: »

Hard to know. With Obama and family on hand and Gabrielle Giffords in attendance to watch her husband launch there may just be enough to tempt the networks away from endless royal repeats. Nothing like the Giffords story to pull at the heart strings(and get the ratings up,yes,i'm that cynical!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

Nothing like the Giffords story to pull at the heart strings(and get the ratings up,yes,i'm that cynical!).

who the F are the giffords? i remember Southpark doing an episode on kathy lee gifford. i had no idea who she was. any connection?

Hard to know. With Obama and family on hand and Gabrielle Giffords in attendance to watch her husband launch there may just be enough to tempt the networks away from endless royal repeats. Nothing like the Giffords story to pull at the heart strings(and get the ratings up,yes,i'm that cynical!).

For the sake of those who cannot view via the web i hope you are right LL!

seen as you only have time for Atlantis i thought you might have being on the Royal Coach "Waiving Regally" :P
    thought you would get a day off from your role as Chief Jacks Moniter for the day!:D

for anybody asking "what's clln on about now?"
    check out the STS-129 thread!:)

emo72 wrote: »
    who the F are the giffords? i remember Southpark doing an episode on kathy lee gifford. i had no idea who she was. any connection?

Gifford is the wife of the Commander of Endeavour Mark Kelly,Some looney shot her in the head and killed six others.
    She is a Congresswoman that loves NASA and wanted more money for them not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Really looking forward to seeing this sight again, Loved the last one, amazing seeing how quick it was moving even though it was so high up.

See a good photo and blog post from the July 09 launch here

Thats a great Photo and a nice story.Looking forward to all your shots over the weekend fingers and toes crossed for Friday night !kerry,ballybunion.jpg

I guess if they get a chance to look out this is the sight they will see of all of us looking up at them !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'm in Waterford lads.. Is it worth getting the DSLR onto a tripod for this one? Will I see much in the South East?

070.jpg

My Wife and I had the pleasure of meeting Mark Kelly two years ago in Norfolk England.He spoke to us about his flight,and his wish to visit Ireland someday and Look up his ancestry which he told me came from Dublin !

Hi Trotter

Yes for sure get the Tripod out some great shots out of Dublin for the sts 124 passover two years back.Just need to keep the cloud a a minimum and theres nothing we can do about that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Hi Trotter

Yes for sure get the Tripod out some great shots out of Dublin for the sts 124 passover two years back.Just need to keep the cloud a a minimum and theres nothing we can do about that !

Forecast for Friday is excellent!
    I havent read the full details of the thread but what time should I expect to see it and where abouts in the sky? (Sorry for the laziness!)

8.47pm is liftoff ,20 mins after that they should be arriving off the west coast Just look up no need for telescopes or anything actually they would just spoil the effect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

8.47pm is liftoff ,20 mins after that they should be arriving off the west coast Just look up no need for telescopes or anything actually they would just spoil the effect.

Am pretty bummed off. Am working that evening and can't get a swop to be able to watch it.........bugger!

Will expect pics from those who do get to see it.

I thought that it was 8.15pm. The later the better it's still full daylight here at 8.25. & the sun won't set until 9pm. How easy is it going to be spot with so much background light ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭decies

SHUTTLE Fri Apr 29/10:38 PM < 1 14 10 above WSW 14 above SW
    SHUTTLE Sat Apr 30/10:21 PM 2 15 10 above WSW 14 above SSW
    SHUTTLE Sun May 01/10:19 PM 3 16 10 above WSW 13 above S
    SHUTTLE Tue May 03/09:32 PM 3 15 10 above WSW 11 above S

Above is for waterford one minute on friday at 10 deg ellevation doesnt sound like great sighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

A fella i play golf with the odd time has flown over to see the launch, jammy git !
    Will hopefully get some photos off him when he gets back to post up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭decies

Beeker wrote: »
    It will appear from the SW moving towards the SE at about 21:03. If the sky is clear by out watching from just before 21:00. It is a fantastic sight to see. White orbiter and orange tank close together passing accross the sky at 17500 mph:)
    Where you getting that information from ? Current nasa sighting page suggests something completely different!! SHUTTLE Fri Apr 29/10:38 PM < 1 14 10 above WSW 14 above SW

That's the first orbit after launch. This thread is about watching the shuttle during launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Cant see any details on heavensabove. Would this be due to the shuttle not having launched yet.

The Shuttle isn't a satellite so I don't think that it will appear on the site.

Now is about the time when it will be passing & it is very light.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Cant wait to see this, know my luck tho it will get cloudy one minutes before or something.. heres hoping anyway :D

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    The Shuttle isn't a satellite so I don't think that it will appear on the site.

Now is about the time when it will be passing & it is very light.

It was on Heaven's Above last time (two or so years ago), so I imagine it'll be there this time as well. Hopefully, anyway.

Advertisement