Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

space Shuttle and Fuel Tank visible April 29th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

damn, that's disappointing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

BULLER wrote: »
    Crap!! Had my telephoto lens all setup....(compact camera selotaped to binoculars)
    Does this mean we wont get to see it fly over Ireland when it finally does launch or will it be the same course?!
    It will still follow the same path but the launch will be too early so far too bright here to catch it just after launch. Bad luck:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I may head out tonight so for a few drinks:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

it's official

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html

Endeavour Launch Scrubbed

Fri, 29 Apr 2011 05:18:33 PM GMT

Shuttle Launch Director Mike Leinbach has scrubbed today's STS-134 launch attempt because of an issue associated with Auxiliary Power Unit 1 heaters. There will be at least a 48-hour scrub turnaround while engineers assess the issue.

NASA Television will air a news conference later this afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

That's depressing ,all week I've been waiting, what a let down.

• Advertisement

That's depressing ,all week I've been waiting, what a let down.

Imagine how they all feel at the Space center? poor things.

Jake1 wrote: »
    Imagine how they all feel at the Space center? poor things.

Never mind the heater ,just launch anyway without the astronauts, I WANT MY SHUTTLE!!!!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Disappointing alright, so is the weather where i am anyway but the safety of the crew is paramount.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Aw, crap. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

No sooner than 72 hours now it seems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I only hope that they go for some time later in the day, 3 or 4 days from now, though the weather forecast disimproves for us.

A petition to NASA methinks. Surely an astronaut is hardy enough to go without her heater? (I jest, of course)

Edit: Actually it's the heater for the Aux Power unit. In fairness, that's a little bit important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Shuttle Mission TV Schedule

The launch of the Shuttle Endeavour will be no earlier than Monday at 2:33 p.m. EDT due to a heater issue with the Shuttle’s Auxiliary Power Units. A new STS-134 mission television schedule will be issued when a new launch date is established.

From NASA site

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tenger wrote: »
    How will you manage to find it?

Obviously very clear skies when heading east at night.

On the 104?
    Flying WNW & sitting on left of plane. Would have had a great view to south. Pity it is scrubbed for today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

All dressed up and nowhere to go.
    NASA TV are now live showing President O'bama's trip to KSC if anyone cares to watch.

The secret service would tell NASA nothing about where he intended to land or at what time etc,important for an abort to landing site to have that info,they had no idea were he was going to view it from,and it was obvious at the press conference on Wednesday that the mission management team had to spend most of their meeting discussing the Logistics of his visit,as it was obvious it was just distracting them from what they wanted to focus on.
    they had to draw up a plan for all possibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

BULLER wrote: »
    Crap!! Had my telephoto lens all setup....(compact camera selotaped to binoculars)

:D:D:D Buller!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

Awful pity. Even if it does launch and pass over Ireland on Monday we most likely won't see it because

1) It will be launching about an hour earlier (source NASA Twitter)
    2) Due to be cloudy.

Awful shame. Unlikely we'll ever get to see this spectacle over Ireland ever again!

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Ah pooh. Lovely clear evening here too. Fingers crossed it might be visible when it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Beeker wrote: »
    And so say all of us!!:)

Shouldn't that be 'And so say we all!'? in keeping with the space theme?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Feel more gutted now as viewing conditions turned out to be really good.

is the ISS still going to fly over at 21:30?

• Advertisement

mtb_kng wrote: »

Oh yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Yes 21:31 for 4 min, Approach 19 Deg West

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

its cancelled is it not for 3 days?
    according to sky news anyway

Irish Fire wrote: »
    Yes 21:31 for 4 min, Approach 19 Deg West
    I went out to see it at 21:30, came back in "Fúckin' eejits on Boards haven't a clue....". Then, looking out from behind the computer monitor.... there it is! :D Bit of a delay though, I saw it at about 21:36 and my computer's clock is synced with some computer that is apparantly super accurate...:confused:

Anyway, I saw it! :D

I.S.S. this evening @ 21:32hrs

I.S.S..JPG

I.S.S. this evening @ 21:32hrs

I.S.S..JPG

It was a bit more orange when I saw it....

Back again @ 23:06 for about 1 min, 10 Deg above WSW..... :)

It was a bit more orange when I saw it....

Not great picture with the phone......

I went out to see it at 21:30, came back in "Fúckin' eejits on Boards haven't a clue....". Then, looking out from behind the computer monitor.... there it is! :D Bit of a delay though, I saw it at about 21:36 and my computer's clock is synced with some computer that is apparantly super accurate...:confused:

Anyway, I saw it! :D

Your P.C. is synced with GMT, but you do know there is 20 min time difference between Ennis and London.......

• Advertisement

Your P.C. is synced with GMT, but you do know there is 20 min time difference between Ennis and London.......
    Good point ;)

Advertisement