Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massey Ferguson 4255 Hydraulic Pressure light?

Options
  • 23-04-2011 7:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    Having recently bought a Massey Ferguson 4255 with electric shuttle I've noticed that the gearbox oil level drops and needs topping up every couple of weeks.
    The Hydraulic pressure lights flash on intermittently even when the oil levels are up to max. Am putting in Maxol 10/W30 oil. There doesn't seem to be any leakage. Is this normal for these tractors? :confused: Am otherwise very happy with it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

There must be a leak somewhere, maybe on the implement or loader. Are the spools at the back dry?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CCM

I had the same problem, there are a couple of possible causes.

There are two hydraulic oil filters either one of which might need to be replaced. Depending on whether or not an upgrade was done there might be one on the left hand side half axle. This one is a bit pricey around 60 euro. This upgrade replaced the centrifugal filter and addressed a problem with the hydraulic oil overheating and the powershuttle getting jumpy.

The second filter is just over the hydraulic pump, which is behind the gear selector under the cab. Normally you can just wash this filter in diesel if it isn't too old.
    The cause of my problem was a spacer from the four wheel drive shaft had broke and been pulled back to the second filter (a suction filter) which was reducing the oil flow. Hope the filters alone are your problem.

I'm not a mechanic but managed all of the above fairly handy myself. You'll just need a bottle jack to lift the back end and take off the back wheels one at a time to allow easier access to work, time well spent, socket set, spanners and if the spacer is the problem you'll need to know someone with a bearing puller

I have a pdf version of the workshop manual so if you pm me an email address I will email you the relevant diagrams. Also found Martins garage in Baileborogh very helpful (main MF dealer).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭straight

Thank you for your replies. Hopefully it might be just dirty filters, seems to happen a bit at low revs or when slightly labouring or taking off in a higher gear. There is soft ride on the loader alright although i suppose that wouldn't have anything to do with it. I have a manual so I should be able to check out the filters myself if i get the time.

Advertisement