Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continuing training in London - CMAS to BSAC?

• 23-04-2011 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

I began my training with UCDSAC while I was there doing my undergraduate, and continued diving with them until I moved to Southampton to do a masters.

When I moved to Southampton I was on a tight budget, and unfortunately couldn't afford to join their SAC, as it was far more expensive than UCD, and required me to do extra 'crossover training' to BSAC which was again very pricey for me at the time and frankly, I wasn't interested as when I checked over the course info they had given me, it turned out I was basically gonna have to do my training again, which really annoyed me.

So here I am a couple of years on since I have last dived, and I'm upset with myself now as I was only a dive or two off my 2* when I left Dublin. I have a little more money than I used to, but when I google, the only options I find are BSAC clubs! I mean I did some training for my underwater archaeology masters, and my lecturer hadn't even SEEN a CMAS logbook before. I was pretty shocked tbh, but it seems to be unheard of over here?

I'm half thinking of just forking out for a nice holiday and a PADI rush-through, as I got great training with UCD and I know my stuff already, I just want a recognised qualification now so I can go diving if I go on holidays again, or do some more widely available further training and hence open some job options (recently two friends have gotten instructor jobs in Thailand and Australia with PADI)

What do people think?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

You havent made it clear-but I assume that you are still in the UK. Perhaps you should try the CMAS (CFT in IRL) equivalent in the UK-the Sub Aqua Assoc. There may be a Club near you & they may accommodate your crossover requirements.

http://www.saa.org.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭denismc

Firstly, your 1 star qualification if you completed it should be recognized by most dive resorts worldwide and you should be able dive with just a quick refresher.
    Your CMAS 1 star qualification is an entry level qualification so you could go on and do the PADI Advanced Open water and then Rescue and so on if you want to go the PADI route.
    If you want to go and become an instructor or divemaster PADI will probably give you the most job opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

Yeah I'm still in the UK - London now which is why I'm trying to avoid expensive crossover training for stuff I already know. Thanks for the link Benny - I tried googling a good bit but all I could find were BSAC clubs, I didn't realise they had an equivalent with a different name, it's been very helpful.

denismc - I know my qualification should be recognised by a lot of resorts, but when you're surrounded by PADI divers and no one has even HEARD of your training / qualifications, it's a bit worrying!

I'm not looking for a career in instructing or anything, but it would be nice to have the options for perhaps doing a working holiday (I have relatives in Australia and I intend to do a years working visa there at some point). I suppose with CMAS I'm a long while off being able to teach, but a friend of mine a couple of years younger seems to have flown through his PADI training in no time. I guess it's all about how much money you can throw at it though.

Advertisement