Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballymote 10k race

Options
  • 23-04-2011 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any details on this?

I see a sign at Clarks bridge saying there is a run on the bank holiday Monday of May bank holiday weekend.

Who is organising it, what's the route?

Any boards heads doing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Slidey wrote: »
    Anyone have any details on this?

I see a sign at Clarks bridge saying there is a run on the bank holiday Monday of May bank holiday weekend.

Who is organising it, what's the route?

Any boards heads doing it?

GAA organising it

http://ballymotegaa.org/road_race_in_may.html

Unfortunately - hardly any info there either.

Saw a sign at union wood yesterday with mobile number but didn't take it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Had a look at their site. You'd swear it was on a need to know basis.

It is not going to be much of a success with the lack of publicising they are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Slidey wrote: »
    Had a look at their site. You'd swear it was on a need to know basis.

It is not going to be much of a success with the lack of publicising they are doing.

id say give Ballymote GAA a ring. They might need a heads up on how little info on their website too!

Bumped into one of the guys who is organising this.

I really can't believe how badly it is been organised. It is leaving the Loftus Hall at 12.00 I think (maybe half 12). Sign in is for an hour before hand.

The route is out the Templehouse rd to the T junction, then turn left to the five cross roads and back into Ballymote passed the factories to the Loftus hall.

Thats a level enough route. Not sure if it is the full 10k though...

EDIT: actually according to mapmyrun.com it is 6.2 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Any more information on this? Is it definitely on?

I've been at a wedding all weekend in Dublin and feel like muck, but I have running gear in my car (in case I feel like getting away from people), but I'm in my girlfriends in Sligo now.

I've not been running since I came back from travelling but I could do a 10k (in a crap time), but if it's going to be a shambles then I won't bother.

• Advertisement

Not sure how well it will be organised.

I did the circuit the day before yday and did a brutal time but in my defense I was out of action with messed up hamstrings for 6 weeks.

It is leaving at half 12. Registration for an hour before hand in the Loftus Hall

Any idea of the cost?

It is a tenner

woke up feeling like cr*p at 11:15 or so, turned on my laptop and saw the message above. Took a couple of paracetamol and at 11:45 I decided I'd do the run.

I literally got out of bed, brushed my teeth, put on my gear hopped in the car and was at the registration for 12:00.

The race started on time at 12:30 or so, it was a fairly flat race, but I had no fitness whatsoever, I did my worst ever 10k toda,y with lots of stop starting, in over 53 minutes (a good 7-8 minutes slower than my usual comfotable pace). My chest is in bits, I'm blaming the pollution in India for that.

It was pretty well organised on the day, no standing around or anything like that. I could have done with some water at 4k instead of waiting until 6k, but that's only because I was unfit (i'd usually not have any on a 10k run).

The guys did well keeping everything going on the day. I think if it was publicised better then there would've been a much bigger turnout than the 60 or so people who ran in it.

Hopefully they can get the promotion of it along the same lines of the race day organisation and then they can raise a decent amount of money.

I think my favourite part of the day was the official timing and race winner photographs both being done on an Iphone (or samsung galaxy) :D

Did the run myself and did a reasonable time compared to the last run I did.

I managed 46:50 or something close to that.

Felt it was well ran, it is just a shame they did not organise the publicity a bit better

• Advertisement
Advertisement