Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is super Mario World much of a step up from Super Mario Bros 3

• 23-04-2011 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Ok just say you never played super mario bros 3 and were only introduced to it after playing world, I think you would be pleasently surprised, graphically there is very little difference with it being on the snes as allstars, super mario 3 also offered a much bigger challenge especially if you didnt use the warp whistles, Mario world does look al little more polished alright but I think these are very close to each other, what do ye think?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Seriously?
    Have you played the Nes original?
    I mean, seriously?
    Super Mario World is one of the most enjoyable, fully loaded platformers ever.
    Nintendo themselves have yet to better it.
    Super Mario Bros 3 was great, possibly a second to SMW's first place, but wow, way wrong there.
    Super Mario World had a better hub world, it had far far better visuals and audio.
    It utilised the new effects that came with the Snes, namely scaling and rotation of sprites.
    Sure, you could run through it and with a knowledge of the shortcuts could finish it quite quick, but to savour it and see everything takes ages.

SMB3 is fun but has no where near the imagaination and depth of SMW.

"Little more polished"?
    Way to go sail on the Wrong boat there!

You must have only played it on the Allstars package... pity that...
    On the NES it was an awesome stretch of a limited machines capabilities it has to be said.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

It really is a wonder how they managed to get that game to run looking like it does on a NES, it doesnt really compare to any other NES game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

I prefer Mario bros 3 to Mario world. The background and level designs seem a bit bland compared to Mario bros 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Tricky argument. Very difficult to choose between these 2 games, I'd have to say Mario 3 is a better game but thats just my personal opinion and I had a copy of 3 first so thats where my reasoning is coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I think I prefer Super Mario World to SMB 3 (And I too played #3 first)... Not sure why... it seemed a bit more complete.

But SMB 3 is the Masterpiece of the NES, it's really head and shoulders above any other game on the NES IMHO.

...if you can forgive that cheesy hour-and-a-half long ad for it ("Wizard")... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think there'svery little to seperate SMW and Mario 3. SMW didn't feel like much of a step up from SMB3 really, in fact it wasn't really a step up at all. Think it's down to personal taste really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Have to give SMB3 a whirl again, I'll whip out the Nes and fire it up and see if I am mistaken....
    Don't think so though...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't be so hasty to claim you are right, you are a Halo fan afterall.

Sshh!
    Or the OP will post a thread...
    Which is better Halo or never having to play it in the first place?

Actually I reckon history will be a lot kinder to the Halo series then you have been, young Retr0!

Halo 1 isn't bad but it's nothing special. I'd say Halo 2 will be shafted in the future if it wasn't already being torn apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Halo 2 online was gdlk* and you know it.

*with mic off

Meh, it was like a slower dumber version of Quake with rotten matchmaking. I'd played better deathmatch games on the PC and had progressed to much more complex games by that stage. Rainbow Six 3 was the much better game on Xbox Live anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

SMW was probably better than SMB3 but for those of us old enough to have been there at the time, the impact of SMB3 was far greater. I'd never seen a game like it in my life at that stage, it was incredible. SMW was more or less a shinier version with some nice tweaks and looking at it now, I could see the argument for it being a better game but it didn't stun you the same way SMB3 did, it wasn't so far ahead of anything else out there that it was embarassing for it's competitors. Hence it tends to get remembered a little more fondly by those of us of a certain age. I'd still pick SMB3 for pure nostalgia, although I think that it and SMW were the pinnacle of side scrolling platforming, nothing has come close since.

I think yoshi's island wipes the floor with both even if it is too easy.

I think Super Mario World absolutely embarrassed every other dev out there, a launch game on the Snes nothing touched it, bar Yoshis Island, which was all sorts of awesome but, as said, was too easy.
    Sonic couldn't touch SMW, but then was a very different game, so what else?
    What do you compare it to?
    Super Metroid? Nope.
    Super Castlevania? Nope.
    What about other attempts at the cute platformer?
    Bubsy? no thanks!

The only SNES game id think about comparing SMW to is Zelda a link to the past, both are highly playable and beautifully presented. I was only playing SMW last night with the other half, a level or a life! we are on Bowsers Castle now, tried to get most of the secrets along the way but the memory is a bit fuzzy! got all the switch palaces and most of the starroads, we ended up with 70 lives when we gave up last night! She could remember a lot of the hidden places, more so than i could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pinksoir

SMW really beats SMB3 in the music department. 16 bit sound allowed for an absolutely amazing score. Even the little things like the bongos when you mount Yoshi was a touch of genius. The castle levels' music is probably my favourite music in any game. Koji Kondo outdid himself.

As for gameplay, I think SMW surpassed SMB3 here too. Mario moved more fluidly, the level design was far better - far more secret areas etc. Even the idea of multiple exits dictating how the game progressed (Chocolate Island I'm looking at you) was taken to new heights.

SMB3 is a fantastic game too, but SMW beats it in pretty much every department by simply honing and developing the things that made SMB3 great.

Seriously, though. The music!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I never really took to SMW for some reason. Preferred the way Mario moved in 3, thought the power ups were way better in Mario 3 (Hammer Brother's suit, Frog suit, Goomba's shoe!), the level design was tighter and the whole thing just gelled better.

Flying with the racoon suit is way more fun, imo, than the cape, which was less precise and meant you'd often have do a few attempts at flying to collect all the coins out of reach for instace. Also thought Yoshi was a poor addition to the game. What does he do? Eat enemies? Why is that interesting? To me, it's not, and he totally changes the feel of the Mario game, slowing it down in my opinion.

On the music front, there's no doubt the SNES is better technically and graphically but I preferred the music and style of 3 as well.

SMB3 had giant world and therefore wins :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Daith

Tough choice. I preferred Super Mario World mainly because of the Star Road and Special stages. Just added something extra.

Though the first time a Hammer Bro turned into a Coin Ship in SMB3 and I never knew why was ace.

Hmm but then Super Mario World has that stage where you have to fly under the exit to get to the secret exit.

Oh I'll just play them both again :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Mario World was the greatest Mario game ever made. I played all the games in succession growing up, so it isn't in retrospect I'm judging them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I hear a lot of talk about the NES version, but have any of you played the SNES version of SMB3 in the Super Mario All-Stars collection? I recommend you give it a go if you're looking to play the game.

Yep, better graphics of course but the same gameplay, i prefer the NES one to be honest for pure nostalgia. I can remember reading and looking at pics of Mario3 and SMW before their release in Nintendo magazines and thinking to myself how amazing the graphics where, that mario actually looks like a real person haha..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

dlofnep wrote: »
    I played all the games in succession growing up, so it isn't in retrospect I'm judging them.

I'd imagine it's the same for most people here. :)
    Cydoniac wrote: »
    I hear a lot of talk about the NES version, but have any of you played the SNES version of SMB3 in the Super Mario All-Stars collection? I recommend you give it a go if you're looking to play the game.

I was actually gonna say, I much prefer the original. The souped up graphics on the All Stars version just feels like plastic-surgery; nothing wrong with it but it just doesn't look...natural.

NES version of Super Mario Bros 3 all the way for me as well. There's just something off about the All Stars version. It's probably just me but I much prefer playing with those glorious NES graphics and the soundtrack just doesn't sound right coming from the SNES soundchip, there's a distinct sound to the NES soundchip that the SNES can't emulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Always preferred the NES version too, not to say that the All-Stars version is at all bad, it just loses something in the graphical update. Agree with respect to the sound too

You can probably pick up a Nes with SMB3 for less that 40 euro, well worth the investment because the game is so much better alone than most of the modern games costing that much.
    And you then have a gateway to so many other great games, Duckhunt and SMB, Wild Gunman, Excitebike etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Mario 3 for me.

The whole game from start to finish is amazing and the music is far better than SMWs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I never really took to SMW for some reason. Preferred the way Mario moved in 3, thought the power ups were way better in Mario 3 (Hammer Brother's suit, Frog suit, Goomba's shoe!), the level design was tighter and the whole thing just gelled better.

Flying with the racoon suit is way more fun, imo, than the cape, which was less precise and meant you'd often have do a few attempts at flying to collect all the coins out of reach for instace. Also thought Yoshi was a poor addition to the game. What does he do? Eat enemies? Why is that interesting? To me, it's not, and he totally changes the feel of the Mario game, slowing it down in my opinion.

On the music front, there's no doubt the SNES is better technically and graphically but I preferred the music and style of 3 as well.

Definitely have to agree with this. I never had a NES and I got All-Stars with my SNES but never owned SMW, so I never really got into it later the way I did with SMB3.

• Advertisement

All Stars was one of those great give away carts, tons to do, and all for the price of a single game.
    The games are lovely too, I think SMB did well with the facelift but don't think the distinct art of SMB3 benefited.
    Playing Majoras Mask right now, another game surely coming to the 3ds, but I'll get to SMB3 as too as I either finish it, or more likely, get stuck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

You can buy it for $699, get it for under $8 used on the same page and get $4 for either on trade.

Ah, the retro games market, consistently inconsistent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Yes the music I used to love on SMW... particularly the boss music. Really added the tension to the battle... And the Bowser music was suitably dangerous sounding...

Yes SMB3 had all those power-ups but really In my opinion, the only one that really mattered was the tail giving you the ability to fly and whack.. Maybe the frog suit to a certain extent, but the rest were sort of "fun till you lost it" rather than making you feel any better about yourself. I also for some reason never really liked the somersaults when invincible.

Ah yes, the music...
    Allow me to introduce Jason Cox, the man who re-recorded and re-arranged the entire Super Mario World soundtrack and played every instrument in the process.
    Genius!
    And here it is!

Super Mario World OST

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

Wow that's a tough question. Both games are extremely close in quality and to be fair the release dates between the 2 weren't really THAT far off despite being on 2 systems.

Personally I prefer world, because I enjoyed searching for the various secret paths in each game and it has one of the best map designs ever, even if it does take an AGE to get around it.

But I also keep in mind that super mario world could have been achieved on a NES and I always prefer a game that pushes a system to its limit than one with mediocre sound and graphics.

They're even steven in my book :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement