Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Works William Street

• 23-04-2011 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

I have a question about the road works on William street which have begun to seriously effect the local shops on the street, my question is this when these construction workers were asked if they could do the work at night or on sundays they said it was not possible but why???

in the USA and European countries you see road works being done at night all the time, why is it such a problem here??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

lcrcboy wrote: »
    I have a question about the road works on William street which have begun to seriously effect the local shops on the street, my question is this when these construction workers were asked if they could do the work at night or on sundays they said it was not possible but why???

in the USA and European countries you see road works being done at night all the time, why is it such a problem here??

A three cycle shift was suggested, but was refused. There were a number of reasons for the refusal, but cost was not one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

all roadworks should take place at night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭adaminho

Mc Love wrote: »

Try telling that to people who have to live there! I remember having to ring the police over roadworks at 3 in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

What we forget is that William Street is a residential/business street. There's a lot of apartments over the shops. Starting around Enzo's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

Think of next time the local authority set up a rock breaker outside your house and the government add on a few extra % to your tax take to cover the unsocial hours that contractors have to be paid.

TBH, if people drove properly the roadworks would have less effect on the traffic on Wm St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Well there will be people looking for work if people dont want to work those hours or for that pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

The last time there were serious roadworks on William St (summer 2009?) the place I worked was BADLY effected. You can't bring people out to windows to show them stock if all you have is a gangplank going in the door.
    Has anyone been on a bus that has to turn up William St by Keanes? Serious hazard and that taxi rank isn't much help either. They havn't left enough room for one fully functioning traffic lane. Not everything that goes up William St is a Nissan Micra :rolleyes:
    And I've been told shops have had trouble closing up because of these gang planks.

They stop the shutters closing, shutters not closed=alarm can't be set alarm not set=insurance not valid.

Go figure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

I live on William street and while I'm a sound sleeper I still wouldn't be happy with road works going on at 4am. The drunks wandering home are loud enough without a rock breaker adding to the noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

Well there will be people looking for work if people dont want to work those hours or for that pay

So as long as there's people unemployed no one should get overtime or shift allowance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Will they get Christmas out of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

October I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Is William St. going to be narrower when it's done?

If it's going to have less parking spaces, I'd be afraid it might mean less footfall and less shoppers. No doubt it will look well but that's no good if the shoppers stay away.

Has Thomas St. suffered a loss of trade after it's makeover?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

tippman1 wrote: »
    Is William St. going to be narrower when it's done?

If it's going to have less parking spaces, I'd be afraid it might mean less footfall and less shoppers. No doubt it will look well but that's no good if the shoppers stay away.

Has Thomas St. suffered a loss of trade after it's makeover?

Yes.It has seen a loss in trade for the existing retailers, and has seen more businesses closed than new ones opening.

Many of the businesses from Wiliiam st/Thomas st/Foxes Bow have presented their concerns a number of times to the City council indivudually and as a group.

The same group have expressed their fears many times in the local papers as well, just as the likes of Tony Connolly and others were in the papers last week about how the closure of both bridges led to the worst weekend of takings in almost 20 years.

Advertisement