Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WDF is going on DIT?

Options
  • 23-04-2011 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

Don't get me started on the chair problem in labs. Like where the f*** are all the chairs dissapearing to? And why the f*** are they all broken?

Anyway my reason for this post.

WHY
    THE
    F***
    DID
    WE
    GET
    KICKED
    OUT
    OF
    OUR
    OWN
    LIBRARY(KEVIN STREET)
    FOR
    NOT
    BEING
    APPRENTICES?

ABSOLUTE DISGRACE.

APPRENTICES SHOULD BE OUT MAKING THINGS ANYWAY. THEYRE NOT EVEN IN THE LIBRARY THROUGHOUT THE ACADEMIC PERIOD. IVE NEVER SEEN APPRENTICES USING THE LIBRARY.
    WE PAY €2000 TO GO TO COLLEGE AND CANT EVEN USE THE LIBRARY TO STUDY FOR EXAMS?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Same as it ever was...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

They kick out non-apprentices from the library? That's nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Joebits

discus wrote: »
    They kick out non-apprentices from the library? That's nuts.

I know right!?

Apprentices should be out making chairs and what not anyway..why would they even need the library?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

That's outrageous

Joebits wrote: »
    I know right!?

Apprentices should be out making chairs and what not anyway..why would they even need the library?

LOL, I don't think it should be a case of "who deserves it more?"... but from my time in DIT, the apprentices made enough bloody noise in there during my term time. Maybe they should be confined to the library during summer so they don't interrupt us during our semesters :D. LOL jk etc.

OP, go back and don't take **** from the library staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Stinger for you's, also all the apprentices in Kevin St are sparks and for most of us the phase 4/6 takes alot of studying to get good marks in. It's actually great that the normal students aren't around these two weeks now we can actually get stuff done in the library if we want.

Anyway, it's only two weeks and you're supposedly adults so just grow up and use a public library if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Jaysus, the ****ers went and overcharged you as well :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

bassey wrote: »
    the phase 4/6 takes alot of studying to get good marks in.

Hang on what's he saying here ??? Just want to make sure I've got the information, Studying = good marks tell me more captain obvious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Stinger for you's, also all the apprentices in Kevin St are sparks and for most of us the phase 4/6 takes alot of studying to get good marks in. It's actually great that the normal students aren't around these two weeks now we can actually get stuff done in the library if we want.

Anyway, it's only two weeks and you're supposedly adults so just grow up and use a public library if you need to.

Do you get kicked out over the christmas and summer exam periods? If not, cut the crap. If so, good stuff. (Oh and it is actually the run up to summer exams at the moment....)

Also, why should students of a college have to use a public library (which won't have the necessary books and journals in it) when they're registered students of the college?

Get real, you guys spend most of the rest of the semester gathered round each others laptops, watching youtube and talking ****e! I used to despair as I watched yous leave the building on crowe lane, knowing half of yiz were on the way up to the library!

See this is the thing. Libraries aren't for the sole us of studying - it's for getting access to books that you can't get anywhere. Whats the point in going to a DCC library, when there's no books relevent to our courses?

Why can't we all just get along?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

We're only there for 10 weeks so we can use the library whenever it's open. And surely you can still check books out?

Laptops? I've yet to see an apprentice bringing a laptop in with them, why would they? You must be confused with some other group.

Anyway, this two weeks is the only two weeks apprentices don't have to deal with the rest of the students being around the place so alot of them use it to try and get as much done as poissble in the peace and quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Joebits

We're only there for 10 weeks so we can use the library whenever it's open. And surely you can still check books out?

Laptops? I've yet to see an apprentice bringing a laptop in with them, why would they? You must be confused with some other group.

Anyway, this two weeks is the only two weeks apprentices don't have to deal with the rest of the students being around the place so alot of them use it to try and get as much done as poissble in the peace and quiet.

I love The Apprentices!

Mod Note: Stop cussin!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭PaperArchitect

I love The Apprentices!

Brill..

but could someone explain the reason non-apprentices are getting thrown out, there must be a valid reason.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Its disgraceful that you got kicked out, but can i suggest going across the road to aungier street? Its the same online resources and they might have some of the books you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Because the Libraries aren't run by DIT, they're run by a different group thats not actually affiliated with the college. So, they can throw you out if they like. R.O.A.R.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭i124Q

SU need to sort this out!! We're getting treated like ****!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

The management and some of the staff in Kevin St library are well known for there incompetence. I would imagine that they introduced this policy so that less people would attend library (obviously) and would give them the opportunity to close early.

I have noticed improvements in Kevin St library with the introduction of the silent study area. But this latest issue is a disgrace.

I would like to see the library in Grangegorman being privatized and the correct operation of the library supervised by SU and academics. It is clear that the current system simply doesn't work.

Its difficult to believe that the largest college in the country does not have a single library open on a Sunday or have extended opening hours during the week at exam time.

The SU power is limited on this issue due to library staff being permanent civil servants and unionised. The result is the students of DIT have to accept third class services.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

i124Q wrote: »
    SU need to sort this out!! We're getting treated like ****!!!

Did you tell them? Report this to anyone in the SU?
    Don't get me started on the chair problem in labs. Like where the f*** are all the chairs dissapearing to? And why the f*** are they all broken?

Anyway my reason for this post.

WHY

THE

F***

DID

WE

GET

KICKED

OUT

OF

OUR

OWN

LIBRARY(KEVIN STREET)

FOR

NOT

BEING

APPRENTICES?

ABSOLUTE DISGRACE.

APPRENTICES SHOULD BE OUT MAKING THINGS ANYWAY. THEYRE NOT EVEN IN THE LIBRARY THROUGHOUT THE ACADEMIC PERIOD. IVE NEVER SEEN APPRENTICES USING THE LIBRARY.

...Someone call the
    WAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE!!!

(p.s. People that use giant fonts, all caps, and bold on all the time generally come off as appearing quite stupid, so I do actually agree with you to an extent! It is an outrage that you were removed from the library! You clearly need it more than others!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement