Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BiG Irish MMA Magazine

• 23-04-2011 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

10hk47m.jpg

BiG - Irelands first Irish MMA only digital magazine is coming VERY SOON! Featuring all the latest news and action in irish MMA.

Issue 1 featuring:

-The Notorious Conor McGregor talks dropping weight, fighters that dodge and 5 second ko's

- We catch up with Tom Egan to see how life has been post UFC

- If i wasnt a fighter . . .

- The first Little BiG awards

Not only is it 100% Irish MMA but its also 100% FREE

If your on Facebook keep up to date here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

i'm liking it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Kal_El

tommyl2010 wrote: »
    Conor McGregor talks dropping weight, fighters that dodge and 5 second ko`s

Good head movement is a must in modern MMA!;)

Seriously tho looking forward to this, nice work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Excellent. Irish MMA improving in all ways all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Punctuation errors on the cover... nice start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Punctuation errors on the cover... nice start.

at the risk of sounding equally like a dick

IRELAND -> IRELAND'S
    WASNT -> WASN'T
    KO's -> KOs (imo)

I'll definitely download this when it comes out. Look like interesting stories with great photos. Well done making the effort and hope it's something viable for the future.

• Advertisement

at the risk of sounding equally like a dick

IRELAND -> IRELAND'S
    WASNT -> WASN'T
    KO's -> KOs (imo)

I'll definitely download this when it comes out. Look like interesting stories with great photos. Well done making the effort and hope it's something viable for the future.
    Correct.

I just hope the articles aren't littered with the same lack of proof reading & basic punctuation errors, that's all. First impressions, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭tommyl2010

Correct.

I just hope the articles aren't littered with the same lack of proof reading & basic punctuation errors, that's all. First impressions, etc...

I wont lie cover was put together in a hurry just to get it out there, i will be writing alot myself however we have a proof reader to edit the magazine before being published, dont worry :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Best of luck with the mag! Will be looking forward to updates on FB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

What's the plan with this? Will you be reporting on events etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MMAIRELANDFAN

What's the plan with this?

Do you mean will this be an SBG propaganda magazine as seen as it's been wrote by an SBG member, when can we view this?

Hope it work's out.

• Advertisement

Do you mean will this be an SBG propaganda magazine as seen as it's been wrote by an SBG member, when can we view this?

Hope it work's out.

WTF is "SBG propaganda"?

Anyway - the cynic in me I reckons it'll just be poorly written articles with no insight into anything of note, it'll be mostly based around the few SBG contacts the guy has (John Kavanagh profile in issue 1), he'll give his own take on 'Zuffa/Strikeforce takeover' articles he's read elsewhere, some random interviews with up & coming Irish fighters that have nothing interesting to talk about; throw in a few typos and badly cropped photos, and voila; and it'll probably run for 3 or 4 issues before he runs out of content and/or realises it's too much work.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MMAIRELANDFAN

WTF is "SBG propaganda"?.

As in SBG we're the greatest etc etc

Or SBG news maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 KDavern

No matter what you do in this life your always gona get jealous people criticising you! Best of luck with the magazine lads,hope it works out.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Great idea looking forward to it. I hope someday it's distributed maybe free in the paper or something like day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Is it something in the gripe water given to us as kids that makes so many of us jealous begrudging people who'll down on a guy for trying something new, for taking a chance. Cop on Forest Master and MMAIRELANDFAN, you're both whiney people who probably don't have the balls to do it yourself so you sit back and bitch about it.

Best of luck with it tommyl2010, hopes its a reall success

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I can't conclusively prove this, but I think it's easier to criticise than to do something... so maybe that's why they're doing it.

Best of luck with it Tommy. Hopefully it works out.

Killme00 wrote: »
    Is it something in the gripe water given to us as kids that makes so many of us jealous begrudging c*nts who'll down on a guy for trying something new, for taking a chance. Cop on Forest Master and MMAIRELANDFAN, you're both whiney little c*nts who probably don't have the balls to do it yourself so you sit back and bitch about it.

Best of luck with it tommyl2010, hopes its a reall success
    Why is it that when someone criticises something, they have to be "jealous" or "begrudging"? It makes no sense, and is such a lame cop-out.
    And you don't know me - so how can you say what I have and haven't accomplished? Seems very ignorant & presumptuous. And you also say "you don't have the balls to do it yourself" - what makes you think I want to start a free Irish MMA magazine? :/ Another thick presumption.

And I'm pretty sure calling someone a c*nt is against the charter, but I won't report you because I enjoy seeing you fail when you post.

I await the OP to prove me wrong...

you don't know me - so how can you say what I have and haven't accomplished? Seems very ignorant & presumptuous.

Pot, kettle, black.....

Firstly, i am not a member of SBG! I was a long time ago, but am now living in Clare, training with a local gym, not that its relevant or any of your business to be quite honest.

You know nothing about me, what i have done, nor what i intend on doing. People are calling you a begrudger etc because you are slating something that you clearly no nothing about, so how about you wait till you see the first issue then ill happily listen to your feedback!

Thanks to those who have supported thus far! Its been a good response. There will be event reporting, fighter interviews (hopefully i can find one or 2 outside of sbg because im so biased :rolleyes: ) And a lot more. . . plus a twist that Im hoping people will enjoy.

And just to be clear WHY Im doing this is because i was sick of the bias seen on websites, forums, this will hopefully give people an opportunity to see it how it is, give fighters a place to air their views and report things as they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

There has been no reports so im going to edit out the abuse,

what i will say if there had of been a report that was at least an infraction-whether you like or dont like posters comments you have to keep things clean. lets get back on topic,

Hope it goes well Tommy.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Pot, kettle, black.....

Firstly, i am not a member of SBG! I was a long time ago, but am now living in Clare, training with a local gym, not that its relevant or any of your business to be quite honest.

I didn't say you were with SBG - MMAIRELANDFAN did.
    People are calling you a begrudger etc because you are slating something that you clearly no nothing about, so how about you wait till you see the first issue then ill happily listen to your feedback!

You posted the cover page (which had 4 typos) and a list of contents that would be in the magazine. So how do I know "nothing" about it? :confused:
    I know everything that's going to be in it, and I know the guy making it can't spell, and doesn't use a spell check either. You also sent me a PM with further info.

And my post here was just a hypothesis, based on all the wrestling & MMA internet magazines I've seen come & go over the years. There have been dozens that I've seen and none have lasted. Most don't even last past the first issue - so my post was based on experience. And I saw the 4 typos on your very first cover, and it fits the 'poorly executed' profile of all the others that have come before you.

Just prove me wrong, and if you do; good for you.
    cowzerp wrote: »
    lets get back on topic.
    Talking about the magazine is "off topic"? What's the topic about then?

All of the points I made are valid, as detailed above - so I'm not even "having a go" - I just backed my opinions up with rationale and logical deductions.

• Advertisement

Ah ha! Now is see what John Kavanagh was talking about on the other thread when he said about people going on the Internet just to be dickheads...

not saying anyone on here is a dickhead of course.

Talking about the magazine is "off topic"? What's the topic about then?

Magazine talk is on topic, calling people names is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

BiG - Irelands firstIrish MMA only digital magazine is coming VERY SOON! Featuring all the latest news and action in irish MMA.

I dont think this is exactly true ;)

Didnt Barry.Oglesby have a querterly online magazine for Irish MMA.

Anyway best of luck with it. Im not on Facebook, how can I view it?

cowzerp wrote: »
    Magazine talk is on topic, calling people names is not.

Cool - then since I've purely discussed the magazine and haven't called anyone any names, you need to ban "killme00" for calling me a c*nt, and "Kal_El" for calling me a d*ckhead.

Thanks.

I didnt call you anything Forest Master.
    What makes you think i said anything directed at you?
    And please call me Clark. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Haters are always going to hate but they are far outnumbered by people who wish you and your efforts well.

I'm looking forward to reading the first issue. :)

Cool - then since I've purely discussed the magazine and haven't called anyone any names, you need to ban "killme00" for calling me a c*nt, and "Kal_El" for calling me a d*ckhead.

Thanks.

I've given a warning on this thread, thats it for now.

And for the record back seat modding is against forum also! so report posts if you have issue with them. otherwise we might not even see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

If half of you babies trained as much as you gave out, then maybe Tommy might have something else to write about.

Mock the weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭garrybergin

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBVhnABo5E06uwveotU70MjGp3halVNnlOKarQmIuPYwT7WDCC

Haters are always gonna hate Tommy - Do your thing mate ! and best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭garrybergin

Chris89 wrote: »
    If half of you babies trained as much as you gave out, then maybe Tommy might have something else to write about.

Mock the weak.

Well said Chris89, its always the guys who dont compete or even train that do all the bitching and moaning ! Armchair MMA superstars IMO :rolleyes:

Dancor wrote: »
    Anyway best of luck with it. Im not on Facebook, how can I view it?

Thanks Dancor, Facebook is a handy way of keeping people up to date but its not actually run through facebook, it will be an external site used for downloading and the link will also be posted here: :)

Well said Chris89, its always the guys who dont compete or even train that do all the bitching and moaning ! Armchair MMA superstars IMO :rolleyes:

For the record, I do train - but that's irrelevant.

BUT - the classic "you don't train or compete so your opinion isn't valid" argument is one of the most retarded & illogical arguments ever conceived.

By your logic, you can't have an opinion on soccer unless you play yourself. You can never critique food unless you're a chef. You can't have an opinion on a car unless you're a mechanic. You can never have a go at politicians or bankers because you're not one. It would also mean that most journalists could never write an article in their journalism field.
    Ariel Helwani, Dave Meltzer, Josh Gross - they're opinions don't matter because they don't compete, right? Forget the years of experience & knowledge they have about the sport - they don't train, so it's moot, yeah? :rolleyes:

The fact that I train doesn't & shouldn't make my opinion any more or less valid than anyone else's. We're not critiquing or judging fights here - it's a free online magazine. It's media. Training in MMA has no bearing on forming an opinion on it. I could have spotted those typos whether I trained or not.

The examples go on and on. That argument has never held water. And the fact that the OP agrees with chris89's post and thanked it, just gives him even less credibility, IMO, because he obviously subscribes to the dumb logic of "hey buddy - your opinions on my magazine are invalid because you don't train enough, a durka durka, yuk!".

When is it actually out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

BUT - the classic "you don't train or compete so your opinion isn't valid" argument is one of the most retarded & illogical arguments ever conceived.

By your logic, you can't have an opinion on soccer unless you play yourself. You can never critique food unless you're a chef. You can't have an opinion on a car unless you're a mechanic. You can never have a go at politicians or bankers because you're not one. It would also mean that most journalists could never write an article in their journalism field.
    Ariel Helwani, Dave Meltzer, Josh Gross - they're opinions don't matter because they don't compete, right? Forget the years of experience & knowledge they have about the sport - they don't train, so it's moot, yeah? :rolleyes:

The fact that I train doesn't & shouldn't make my opinion any more or less valid than anyone else's. We're not critiquing or judging fights here - it's a free online magazine. It's media. Training in MMA has no bearing on forming an opinion on it. I could have spotted those typos whether I trained or not.

The examples go on and on. That argument has never held water. And the fact that the OP agrees with chris89's post and thanked it, just gives him even less credibility, IMO, because he obviously subscribes to the dumb logic of "hey buddy - your opinions on my magazine are invalid because you don't train enough, a durka durka, yuk!".

Don't subscribe to the magazine. There, job done, stop complaining.

EnjoyChoke wrote: »
    Don't subscribe to the magazine. There, job done, stop complaining.

:rolleyes:
    Irrelevant reply - it has nothing to do with my point, but thanks anyway...

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:
    Irrelevant reply - it has nothing to do with my point, but thanks anyway...

Neither does this, but it does show what a sound individual you are.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67842060

Neither does this, but it does show what a sound individual you are.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67842060
    LOL - you searched through all of my posts for something to use against me. hahahaha. And that thread was a joke, mate - pity it went over your head and you actually tried to use it to "PWN" me.

Are you done?

LOL - you searched through all of my posts for something to use against me. hahahaha. And that thread was a joke, mate - pity it went over your head and you actually tried to use it to "PWN" me.

Are you done?

Sound. Really.

Sound. Really.
    Another reply that adds or addresses nothing.
    The fact is, you DID search all of my posts for something to 'PWN' me with though - and you actually must have read through a good few pages of them, because that one was from over 15 months ago!! :eek:

If you can't actually respond to my points with anything of substance, best to move away from the adult forums. You're dragging this thread off-topic with your posting of random threads in an attempt to have a go at me. I made valid & on-topic points and I backed up every single one of them with logical reasoning & debate - not a popular opinion (judging by the plethora of "hey shut up & leave him alone, typos are kule yo, you can't do any better begrudger, you don't even train, lol!1" responses), but an opinion I've been able to validate nonetheless.
    Tiddley Winks and Bosco forums are that way - you can play there. >>>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Why all the bitching and going off topic? No one is forcing anyone to read/download the mag. I can't see how Irish MMA fans see this as a bad thing. The more the word is out there about Irish MMA the bigger it will get plus it's FREE mag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

How to put a user on ignore:
    Click on Users name
    Select 'Add User to Ignore list'
    Confirm by click 'Yes'

Enjoy the peace.

I made valid & on-topic points and I backed up every single one of them with logical reasoning & debate - not a popular opinion (judging by the plethora of "hey shut up & leave him alone, typos are kule yo, you can't do any better begrudger, you don't even train, lol!1" responses), but an opinion I've been able to validate nonetheless.

You should try a class or two, it might help you appreciate the local aspects of the sport and to not be so negative.

You should try a class or two, it might help you appreciate the local aspects of the sport and to not be so negative.

Read the thread, mate - seriously. :rolleyes:

Why all the bitching and going off topic?

Read the thread - I didn't bitch and I didn't go off topic. It's people having a go at me (just because I made some VALID points) & going off topic.

And LOL at Enjoychoke thanking your post when it was HIM who bitched at me and also went off topic - so your post is actually more relevant to at him than me, yet he thanks you for it. Is that 5 fails in 5 posts, Enjoychoke? :rolleyes:

Read the thread, mate - seriously. :rolleyes:

I did. I just don't believe you.
    I'm sure SBG or one of the other Gyms would organise an open day for you. Might help with the negative karma. Then when the magazine does actually come out you'd have some insight into it. We'd all be delighted to hear some of your pearls of wisdom then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

And where do you train Forest Master? Becuase I'm sure whatever club it is you train in are in some way involved in the Irish MMA scene and this is a mag aimed at that very scene...so rather than being childish and overblown, say nothing.

I did. I just don't believe you.
    I'm sure SBG or one of the other Gyms would organise an open day for you. Might help with the negative karma. Then when the magazine does actually come out you'd have some insight into it. We'd all be delighted to hear some of your pearls of wisdom then.

Did you read my post about how whether someone trains or not is irrelevant? Any counter-argument to it (since you seem to have the opposite stance)? Or did you just ignore it and keep repeating yourself, which seems to be the situation. :rolleyes:

Yeah, maybe an SBG open day would help me be able to read better... and make the typos go away. Great logic.

Yeah, maybe an SBG open day would help me be able to read better...

Worked for me.

Worked for me.
    Yeah, and I hear taking swimming lessons helps with playing chess.

I'd still like to hear your counter-argument for my post here though, since your posts seems to of the opposite opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Forest Master you are literally so cool.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement