Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BiG Irish MMA Magazine

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

For the record, I do train - but that's irrelevant.

BUT - the classic "you don't train or compete so your opinion isn't valid" argument is one of the most retarded & illogical arguments ever conceived.

By your logic, you can't have an opinion on soccer unless you play yourself. You can never critique food unless you're a chef. You can't have an opinion on a car unless you're a mechanic. You can never have a go at politicians or bankers because you're not one. It would also mean that most journalists could never write an article in their journalism field.
    Ariel Helwani, Dave Meltzer, Josh Gross - they're opinions don't matter because they don't compete, right? Forget the years of experience & knowledge they have about the sport - they don't train, so it's moot, yeah? :rolleyes:

The fact that I train doesn't & shouldn't make my opinion any more or less valid than anyone else's. We're not critiquing or judging fights here - it's a free online magazine. It's media. Training in MMA has no bearing on forming an opinion on it. I could have spotted those typos whether I trained or not.

The examples go on and on. That argument has never held water. And the fact that the OP agrees with chris89's post and thanked it, just gives him even less credibility, IMO, because he obviously subscribes to the dumb logic of "hey buddy - your opinions on my magazine are invalid because you don't train enough, a durka durka, yuk!".

The point i was making was that maybe if other people were training and competing as much as the guys in sbg, then maybe tommy would be able to write about them aswell as the sbg guys.

Frankly, i couldnt care less if you train or not, and even if you do train, you definitely arent training as hard as me so my opinion is still more valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Kal_El

Chris89 wrote: »
    The point i was making was that maybe if other people were training and competing as much as the guys in sbg, then maybe tommy would be able to write about them aswell as the sbg guys.

There are plenty of Fighters and clubs that train and compete just as much if not more than SBGi. I think the Mag is a great Idea and hope he keeps it up but you must see how people can say Tommy is biased towards SBGi and its fighters. Maybe he is maybe he isnt who knows? Maybe he is just situated close to the gym so its and easy place to start. I for one dont care and will read the mag and interviews because sometimes people do have interesting things to say.

Forest Master. What are you trying to achive here? Yes there were typos and mistakes. Is that really the end of the world? Why get so annoyed? You are just coming across as a very unlike-able person. You have said your part and raised your points. Give over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭tommyl2010

Kal_El wrote: »
    There are plenty of Fighters and clubs that train and compete just as much if not more than SBGi. I think the Mag is a great Idea and hope he keeps it up but you must see how people can say Tommy is biased towards SBGi and its fighters. Maybe he is maybe he isnt who knows? Maybe he is just situated close to the gym so its and easy place to start. I for one dont care and will read the mag and interviews because sometimes people do have interesting things to say.

Forest Master. What are you trying to achive here? Yes there were typos and mistakes. Is that really the end of the world? Why get so annoyed? You are just coming across as a very unlike-able person. You have said your part and raised your points. Give over.

I live in COUNTY CLARE!!!!! haha. Glad your looking forward to it, hopefully those of you looking forward to issue 1 wont be disappointed, issue 1 is looking good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

tommyl2010 wrote: »
    I live in COUNTY CLARE!!!!! haha. Glad your looking forward to it, hopefully those of you looking forward to issue 1 wont be disappointed, issue 1 is looking good :)

Have you got arguably the most important part done... Got someone to proof read it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Ariel Helwani, Dave Meltzer, Josh Gross - they're opinions don't matter because they don't compete, right?

Speaking of opinions that don't matter......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

thanks doc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

As posted already haters-gonna-hate-6x4.jpg

I'm actually really looking forward to this as I used to go to events all the time and keep up with the mma scene but over the last year or so I havent so I don't really know who's who now, so I hope this mag can get me back up to speed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MMAIRELANDFAN

Chris89 wrote: »

I'm a fan of the Magazine but this statement is just wrong

From reading here Tommy is well known as an SBG student(ex maybe but still) so training harder is not going to make it less of an SBG magazine

Or maybe fighting for Titles that are made for your team will get you Magazine time we should all set up promotions and win all the titles against set up opposition.

SBG have a few titles and people will be watching with keen eyes to see if the future defenses are against worthy opposition as based on the past they will be easy fights that SBG are expected to win

People are onto this now and it's turning into Boxing with the titles going to favoured camps/promoters etc.

ps, im going on record to say im not representing here for any team..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Or maybe fighting for Titles that are made for your team will get you Magazine time we should all set up promotions and win all the titles against set up opposition.

Care to elaborate?
    Only one I can say was the fact that myles price was given the shot against begley before larkin or parke. other than that all other titles were the right match up.

ps, im going on record to say im not representing here for any team..

Then what is your stake in all this? You seem to blast SBG on a regular basis, way too much for a casual fan of the sport.

Only a few days to go but have confirmed some great prizes so be sure to t issue 1 to be in with a chance of winning:

You place free at the Jon 'Bones' Jones Seminar

fa3f4l.jpg

€100 voucher for Ultimate MMA Supplies

34ih4c1.jpg

and ticket giveaways for Cage Warriors 42 and Cage Contender X!

_oveless wrote: »
    Then what is your stake in all this? You seem to blast SBG on a regular basis, way too much for a casual fan of the sport.

Sorry
    i simply have an opinion that there will be an SBG bias in the Magazine
    before seeing it i can be sure it will be full of SBG ads and SBG stories.

As far as blasting SBG i don't care too much for them
    Nothing to do with the fighters but they always seem to have matches that there expected to win

On last Cage contender in Dublin Cody went from fighting a top thai fighter to some debutant who was there to be beaten
    Same happened with Mcgregor

They happened to win about 6 and lost 1 and then there linked clubs all won easy too

They come across cultish in my eyes and are all about Ego and this is whats great about MMA the lack of Ego

Im currently inactive due to change of job but when i was training people always felt that SBG looked down there nose at others.

They come across cultish in my eyes and are all about Ego and this is whats great about MMA the lack of Ego

Im currently inactive due to change of job but when i was training people always felt that SBG looked down there nose at others.

Care to share with us your experience with SBG that has given you that impression?
    I agree the Coady fight was a mismatch (It happens every gym has been on both sides there). Mcgregor's fight was out of most peoples control due to the amount of pullouts. Wouldnt have said any other of the fights that night were mismatches. None of their fights at the last CC could have been considered a mismatch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Was Coady's fight at cage contender in Dublin not only his second fight ? His first one was an A class against Paul Cowzer. His second was a C Class against some lad who was :"there to be beaten ".

MASSIVE jump, I may be incorrect though.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Was Coady's fight at cage contender in Dublin not only his second fight ? His first one was an A class against Paul Cowzer. His second was a C Class against some lad who was :"there to be beaten ".

The fight agains cowzer may have been B I think. But otherwise your right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

SDTimeout wrote: »

Keith fought Paul in a B class match at CC5 which was his first fight, his second fight was at new C class on CC8. At that stage his record was 0-1-0 and if my memory serves correct the lad he was fighting was 1-0-0.

Keith fought Paul in a B class match at CC5 which was his first fight, his second fight was at new C class on CC8. At that stage his record was 0-1-0 and if my memory serves correct the lad he was fighting was 1-0-0.

Did they tell his opponent that he held his own with top Pro with top striking and cody was a high level boxer?

I'd love to hear from the opposing teams camp as i doubt it.

The opponent looked so shocked the moment he got hit a body punch.

Did they tell his opponent that he held his own with top Pro with top striking and cody was a high level boxer?

Of course they were told, and they were provided with the TV footage of the CC5 fight.

After seeing the footage and assessing all the facts the other camp reckoned their fighter was up to the job and accepted the fight, that's how match making works.

• Advertisement

Of course they were told, and they were provided with the TV footage of the CC5 fight.

After seeing the footage and assessing all the facts the other camp reckoned their fighter was up to the job and accepted the fight, that's how match making works.

If so i apologise

Its the opposing team that need to be pulled on this in that case as that is just ridiculis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Its the opposing team that need to be pulled on this in that case as that is just ridiculis.
    Yeah someone should have a word with them because of them taking a tough fight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

How so??? explain why SBG appears cultish and the way they look down on people??

All about ego??, im sure thats the reason they are so successful.
    MMA doesnt lack ego by the way, have you ever seen a tap out t-shirt?

Success breeds contempt, and you are a begrudger.

Magazine will be available for free download from FRIDAY! :)

Will be your chance to catch the title fight between Brian Moore and Gary Morris from Tuffnut 5, win some great prizes, watch a few classic fights, find out who the winners are for the BiG Awards, watch highlights from some of the best moments in irish mma, learn some BJJ and LOADS MORE! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

Not an SBGer or anything but they have serious success on other shows than CC. In fairness John Kavanagh is probably the top/most experienced coach in the country plus they have a HUGE (numbers wise) professional fight team, i'd imagine that the aforementioned point really contribute to any success.
    At CC in July Owen Roddy (SBG at some point) is fighting Ben Davis, is Ben a "paper" challenger?

There are some mismatches yes but it happens in every show inc UFC & Strikeforce. The reaon it MAY happen is the sport is still new here & there are still gyms & fighters trying to figure it out, SBG are closer than most to that. Plus at CC in dublin one of the SBG lads got seriously owned, no call of mismatch there as it suits the argument that CC is made to give SBG guys titles.

CC is made to give SBG guys titles.
    this bull**** always makes me laugh tbh. CC didn't even feature an SBG fighter until CC4 in Belfast. While MMAIRELANDFAN and others try to create an issue where there is none it's worth remembering that these titles were won in the octagon and not in my office, the simple thing is if you have a problem with the champions then man up and meet them in the octagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

if you have a problem with the champions then man up and meet them in the octagon.

MMAIRELAND's posts are indeed retarded, but this type of statement always makes me laugh, TBH. Dumb meatheat response to criticism. Your post was good up until that last sentence.

MMAIRELAND's posts are indeed retarded

You will get no argument from me on that fact, but hey, me - a meathead, c'mon :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

MMAIRELAND's posts are indeed retarded.

This statement is the money.

Can't wait for first issue tommy

www.bigirishmma.com

With just 2 days 18 hours and 23 minutes to go to the release of issue 1 we have decided to start giving already.

Simply fill in the info box on the home page to be entered in the draw for 2 tickets to Cage Warriors Fighting Championship 42 Saturday May 28th in Cork. Closing date is Monday May 23rd.

If your not in you cant win :)

• Advertisement

this bull**** always makes me laugh tbh. CC didn't even feature an SBG fighter until CC4 in Belfast. While MMAIRELANDFAN and others try to create an issue where there is none it's worth remembering that these titles were won in the octagon and not in my office, the simple thing is if you have a problem with the champions then man up and meet them in the octagon.

I don't know if you misinterpreted me John I was totally going the other way with that, I know that the argument tha CC "gives" titles to SBG guys is a complete barrel of infected donkey se-men

I don't know if you misinterpreted me John I was totally going the other way with that, I know that the argument tha CC "gives" titles to SBG guys is a complete barrel of infected donkey se-men

Lol no man don't panic, I was just highlighting the idea that others are putting out. It just happened that the words were in your quote :)

TBH this is starting to p*ss me off, if you would like to discuss SBG can you please start your own thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

TBH this is starting to p*ss me off, if you would like to discuss SBG can you please start your own thread!

Worst thing you can do is let it get to you Tom. You are always going to get people bitching and trying to put everything down. I know a lot of people who are very happy about the mag and I want to say fair play to you for putting in all the hard work.

Worst thing you can do is let it get to you Tom. You are always going to get people bitching and trying to put everything down. I know a lot of people who are very happy about the mag and I want to say fair play to you for putting in all the hard work.

oh no the mag isnt getting to me at all tbh, if ppl dont like it they dont like it, i understand you cant please everyone but the past 2 pages have been completely off topic and nothing to do with the magazine!

i understand you cant please everyone but the past 2 pages have been completely off topic and nothing to do with the magazine!

True one poster has derailed a number of threads over the past couple weeks. Can hardly start a whole thread to get to the bottom of what one posters problem is though:mad:
    Good luck Tommy. Cant wait for the release:D

Apologies Tommy but negative, condescending, cynical people really annoy the head off me. You're doing a really class thing & some lad just tries to dump on it. I would put a challenge to him that he try do what you're doing then, maybe, he can comment. I really can't wait til the release to see it. Best of luck buddy.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ultimatemma

True one poster has derailed a number of threads over the past couple weeks. Can hardly start a whole thread to get to the bottom of what one posters problem is though:mad:
    Good luck Tommy. Cant wait for the release:D

Best of luck with the mag Tommy, can't wait to see it. It's going to be a great success!

Referring to the one said poster derailing many threads, maybe a mod should be stepping in at this stage!! Just my opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Best of luck with the mag Tommy, can't wait to see it. It's going to be a great success!

Referring to the one said poster derailing many threads, maybe a mod should be stepping in at this stage!! Just my opinion!

Have you reported any posts? No
    You cant just warn people because you don't like what there saying, he is smartly staying within the charter and apart from questioning things has not broke any rules, I'm keeping an eye on this so leave it at that.

Maybe if people just put him straight without getting smart then he will stop asking questions or learn from it.

Or better still put him on ignore if you don't like reading his views.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

Just seen a preview of Issue 1

Credit where credit is due it looks and reads very very well:)

Congratulations Tommy on a good job well done!!

Hey all,

Only one day to go. Mag was sent out to a select few today to make sure everything is running smoothly and the feedback has been great :)

Please also remember its digital and to make the most of it ie view the videos you MUST have Adobe reader. If you dont have it its free and can be downloaded here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Just had a sneaky preview of issue one and was very happy with it. You can tell there has been a LOT of work gone into this. I think 90% of Irish MMA fans will be very happy with the first issue. (Haters = other 10%)

First things first, you need a host to read the PDF on. Most PC's come pre-installed with Adobe Reader, however if you don't have it don't panic, you can downlaod it for free HERE. Other PDF hosts will work however Adobe Reader is required to enable video content.

Before the moaning begins on file size please remember that BiG is packed full of exclusive video content! There will be a lighter version released very soon without video.

To download your free Issue of BiG go to www.bigirishmma.com and click on issue 1.

Alternatively you may also download it from here.

Enjoy!

First things first, you need a host to read the PDF on. Most PC's come pre-installed with Adobe Reader, however if you don't have it don't panic, you can downlaod it for free HERE. Other PDF hosts will work however Adobe Reader is required to enable video content.

Before the moaning begins on file size please remember that BiG is packed full of exclusive video content! There will be a lighter version released very soon without video.

To download your free Issue of BiG go to www.bigirishmma.com and click on issue 1.

Alternatively you may also download it from here.

Enjoy!

497mb is way too big for a magazine, surely there's a way to make it smaller? Also that hosting site is criminally slow. I was really looking forward to reading this, any chance of a lower quality version being released?

_oveless wrote: »
    497mb is way too big for a magazine, surely there's a way to make it smaller? Also that hosting site is criminally slow. I was really looking forward to reading this, any chance of a lower quality version being released?

as it says its 497mb because there is roughly an hours worth of fight footage in there! the site may be slow because there is so many people downloading right now but the average times being sent back to me aren't to bad for a big file. I wont be releasing a low quality version but there is a ipad version without video coming soon. its worth the download and i hope people will see that

• Advertisement

i will be uploading it to a torrent site tho to hopefully speed up the download

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Bidanged

It downloaded for me in 7 minutes no problems I thought it was brilliant cant wait for the next one well done Tommy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

F*ck's sake - 500MB for a PDF...

Why didn't you just have the PDF link to online videos? Then if people don't want to watch a certain video, they don't have to download the thing! You're making everyone download every video, regardless of whether they want to view it or not - really lacks common sense IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Just finished reading through it there, its obvious some amount of work has gone into it, great job and looking forward to the next issue already.

F*ck's sake - 500MB for a PDF... Not the best start.

Look lads i knew people would complain about it, but there is about an hour of fight footage in it and its what makes it different! If people dont want to download it and want to read the usual stuff thats out there thats fine but video is what sets this apart from everything else!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement