Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

connectivity - cables etc - pc & tv/stereo

• 23-04-2011 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

I have to apologise in advance as I'm not the most up to speed on the correct terms...

Basically I want to play the music on my laptop through my Stereo. Thats the main thing.

Secondly, I would like to play the movies on my laptop through the TV with the sound through the stereo - but I would be happy enough with just getting the music sorted.

My laptop only has VGA - my TV only has HDMI..... Is that the end of that ??? According to the young lad in PC world this morning there is nothing I can do...... I dont have anything against PC world but I'm hesitant to take the advice I got without checking. (in fairness though, the paperwork that came wiht the TV said it will only accept a DVI to HDMI cable).

Secondly, my stereo is very old (but there's nothing wrong with it and I like it so dont want to dump it) - all it has in terms of auxilliary is the little red and white audio in cable ports. My laptop doesn't seem to have an audio out line at all - just headphone jack. Again the lad in PC world said if i play music on my laptop and run a headphone out cable to the headphone jack on the stereo that this WONT work.....

Is there anything I can do ???? I want to spend as little as possible so really dont want to buy a new laptop and or stereo. I dont really want to buy an i-pod - I understand I could put the music on the i-pod and play it through the headphone jack of the stereo ??

Is there such a thing as an external hard drive with a HDMI connection that would plug straight into my TV ?????

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You could get an external hard drive in a media player case, that should plug into the TV by HDMI (check it has HDMI). Playing music - a 3.5mm jack to 2 x RCA/phono cable will do, I got one in Tesco for 1.85 a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

thanks very much.

would something like this work:

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_03ELEC/11_MEDIAPL/01_MEDIAPL/productdetails/80001679/AC_Ryan_Playon!HD_2TB/ACR_PV73100_2TB/default.aspx

i notice a lot of these things are called network players - and a lot refer to being 'streaming' players. does this mean i need to set them up on a local arean network or something ????

I would really be looking for a stand-alone device - lob all my stuff onto the harddrive - plug it into the tv - and forget about it....

Thank again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

That one doesn't seem to mention HDMI, maybe this one plus a separate external drive ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

My laptop only has VGA - my TV only has HDMI..... Is that the end of that ???
    Unless your laptop is one of the few that supports digital signal output on the VGA port, you'd need a converter like this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Generic-HDMI-VGACONVERTER-Audio-HDMI-Converter/dp/B0015YWV1G
    Secondly, my stereo is very old (but there's nothing wrong with it and I like it so dont want to dump it) - all it has in terms of auxilliary is the little red and white audio in cable ports. My laptop doesn't seem to have an audio out line at all - just headphone jack. Again the lad in PC world said if i play music on my laptop and run a headphone out cable to the headphone jack on the stereo that this WONT work.....
    The headphone jack on the stereo is an output - you can't use it for input. What you *can* do is connect the headphone jack on the laptop to the red and white audio inputs on the stereo with a suitable cable:
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?type=product&id=24415

Advertisement