Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggested timeline for progressing to bigger boats?

• 23-04-2011 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for a few opinions again. I started sailing in 2009 with the long term goal of being able to take my wife for a relaxing sail whenever we go on holidays to the meditteranean. I was advised that it was best to start learning in a dinghy, so I did my RYA Dinghy Level 1 & 2 in the summer of 2009 and went out practising every few weeks for the rest of the season. In 2010, I took a few lessons and got a decent bit of practice in over a fairly long season. 2011 has begun in a similar vein, and I'm booked in for my Level 3 course in June. Almost all of my sailing has been in Laser Picos but I've also been out in: Topper, Hobie 405, Hobie Holder 14, Laser 1, Gambeta, Squib.

My goal is still just to be able to take out a 17-22ft boat for a relaxing sail on a mild day in the sunshine without fear of capsize or discomfort. I like dinghy sailing and am happy to continue learning on them but I'd just like to get an idea of when people think I might be ready to move to something with a fixed keel? I know I could make the switch whenever I liked, but I am keen to do things properly and become a good sailor. So, to the more experienced sailors out there, what path would you suggest for me?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

To be honest there is no suggested timeline, you will know yourself when you are ready to move on. If you have a friend with a fixed keel boat go out with him, let him sit down and see how you get on on your own, with your friend there if things go wrong. The only way to move on is to try it, get some experience under your belt and get more confidence!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Get sailing in the squib as soon as you can. That'll give you familiarity of open boats but the seaworthyness of a small cruiser.

It's such a good boat, they stuck a lid on some and called them a Hunter 19/Europa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 db299

MOD NOTE: please don't join boards.ie just to pimp your fee paying club.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 WaterRat

They say that a good dinghy sailor makes a good yachtsman, but that a good yachtsman does not necessarily make a good dinghy sailor. I think that you have taken the right path, but that if you intend to go on to yachts, then I think the next step should be the day skipper and coastal skipper courses. Most yacht charter companies require production of an International Certificate of Competence (ICC) before they will hire out a cruiser. The Irish Sailing Association have information on their website at International Certificate of Competency

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

I suggest you get onto a keelboat asap and as often as possible. Then think of a course, either Glenans or other private tuition. Best do land-based first, then a cruising course. Squib is good, did my learing on them in Coal harbour, Dun Laoghaire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

conolan wrote: »
    I suggest you get onto a keelboat asap and as often as possible. Then think of a course, either Glenans or other private tuition. Best do land-based first, then a cruising course. Squib is good, did my learing on them in Coal harbour, Dun Laoghaire.

So, get out in some keelboats for a little while, get a land-based qualification, then do day-skipper course and ICC?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 WaterRat

Keelboats are great and you can often attach a small outboard to the stern. This can be very handy and make it less stressful when you want to motor out of a busy marina before hoisting the sails. They can feel just like a bigger boat, but you are not tied down to the same harbour. They can be towed to different locations and launched/recovered quite easily. My favourite is the Laser Stratos Keel, which is a nice family day boat that can be launched/recovered from a sandy beach.

However, I do think that size matters, especially when trying to get a 40' into a narrow space, with other expensive yachts just feet away. I would recommend as much practice as possible for both you and your wife on a yacht, especially with you at the helm, so that you can have a relaxing stress free holiday. There are many yachts looking for crew, especially for racing, stick a notice on the message board of your local sailing club. Also there are groups of people, such as the Garda Sailing Club where you can pay a membership fee and have access to a yacht without having to fork out large sums each year.

Regarding the shorebased courses, I would recommend the ISA's shorebased Yachtmaster course. The course has lots of useful information from passage planning to the collision regulations. Other useful shorebased courses are the Marine VHF (SRC & DSC) and Sea Survival courses - too many people go out on the water not knowing how to use radios, EPIRBs, life rafts and flares, etc.

You won't have to worry about tides in the Med, but the winds can be a little strong, especially in the afternoon after a very hot day. I would recommend getting your sailing done early in the day, so that you can tie up, relax and enjoy the local food and culture. Personally I don't think that there is any need to go abroad. We have the finest coastline in the world. Ok the seas may be warmer abroad, but you can still get a good colour on Irish waters. But here after a good sail you can drop in to a local for a real pint, in a real pub with a real fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 db299

Your stated aim "take my wife for a relaxing sail whenever we go on holidays to the meditteranean."

If you just want to go out for a day then you will probably be only able to rent dinghies and you have the experience required. If you want to sail/cruise your own boat for a week then you will need to rent a keel boat/cruiser and to rent it on your own you will probably need a ICC which will require training and logged miles : http://www.sailing.ie/Training/Certification/ICC.aspx

An option would be to go on a course in the med e.g. on a flotilla holiday. That way you get the holiday, some training, someone to help and and a great introduction to crusing, living on board etc. You either have the option of a skipper on board or skippering it yourself. You could do a week course followed by a week flotilla where you skipper the boat yourself.

Although it is possible to do a course and get most or all of the miles required for the ICC, it is good to get as much experience outside a course environment as well. One way is to try to crew on a keel boat - ask at clubs, check crew registers on afloat.ie or sailing.ie. However you rarely if ever get to helm and bring the boat in and out of marinas moorings and practice other manoeuvres. There is at least one sailing club in Dublin where you you can get to helm and crew club dinghies and keelboats and you dont need your own boat. Send me a private message if you want more details.

If you have sailed dinghies you will be able to sail a keelboat but the hard part is going in and out of marinas/ports.

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

db299 wrote: »
    Your stated aim "take my wife for a relaxing sail whenever we go on holidays to the meditteranean."

If you just want to go out for a day then you will probably be only able to rent dinghies and you have the experience required.

I think the real (even if unlikely in mild weather) possibility of capsizing in a dinghy would prevent her from relaxing.

Advertisement