Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden retriever coat colour

• 23-04-2011 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I have had goldens since early childhood. They have always had a true golden colour. What has happened in the last few years with these white coloured dogs i see everywhere? I have researched this and ireland seems to be the only country going down this colour line! USA have a really ginger coat and mainland europe the more traditional golden colour. It seems to me that there is crazy breeding being done here! Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Thanks

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

There are far too many golden retrievers being bred in this country as it is and they've quickly become a favourite among puppy farmers and backyard breeders who dont give a toss about the colour.

As far as i know, genetically, the darker shades in retrievers are recessive, and the lighter shades are dominant so if either of the parents have the 'white' gene, then most of the puppies will be born this colour. I think in the USA this is actually a fault and most dogs this colour are disqualified from showing but they dont have that here in the IKC.

So over here if it looks like a retriever, puppy farmers will breed it with another retriever not giving a **** about the colours they'll get.

In saying that their are probably reputable breeders too breeding from white lines, but it doesn't come with any specific hereditary problems and the standard allows for golden or cream coloured dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Our golden retriever is white but was got from a reputable and registered breeder in Cork.
    I've seen his family tree, it's more detailed then our own!

We use him as a sheepdog, he's pretty useless at it :p
    But bless him, he tries

I can't top Post 2 for specific info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The whiter ones are called English GRs so I kind of assumed since we're beside the UK thats where they all came from lol. My guy is more golden and he's a different build to the whiter ones - they're stockier than him and also their coat seems to be fuzzier and shorter.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

As far as i know, the white lines are more widespread in Europe, where the white coat isn't seen as a fault but the golden lines come from the USA where it is. Its a bit confusing though as Golden Retrievers are a scottish breed so it would seem like the golden coat should be more prominent over here, but it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

As far as I am aware the whiter colour in the Goldens over here is due to the influence of a couple of very widely used stud dogs (and their progeny) in the past 20 years or so. I can't think of the names at the moment. Will edit when I remember.

• Advertisement
Advertisement