Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Threshold pursue PRTB case even if Tenants don't?

Options
  • 23-04-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

ex-Tenants brought a case via Threshold to the PRTB for retention of deposit in the amount of €60 (deposit was €900, I paid back €840 - I withheld for a few days of rent they owed because they moved out early from a fixed term agreement).

Now, I know I will win the case, because this has a precedence in the PRTB adjudications.

But, because of the hassle of responding to a PRTB case over a measly €60, I contacted the tenants and told them I'd offer them €60 compensation if they agreed in writing to drop the current PRTB case and not bring another one for the same reason.
    They have now signed a document to that effect.

My QUESTION, though is: can Threshold still pursue the case through the PRTB on behalf of the Tenants even though the Tenants don't want to pursue it any more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't know, but if the tenants aren't, I doubt Threshold are interested - they have bigger fish to fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

They no longer have a client. Without a client, they don't have a claim. I don't see how they could continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

variety wrote: »
    ...My QUESTION, though is: can Threshold still pursue the case through the PRTB on behalf of the Tenants even though the Tenants don't want to pursue it any more?

As far as I know threshold don't pursue cases. This is what they do...

http://www.threshold.ie/menu.asp?menu=68

I'm open to correction, but I think Threshold only offer advice and support to tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

BostonB wrote: »
    As far as I know threshold don't pursue cases. This is what they do...

http://www.threshold.ie/menu.asp?menu=68

I'm open to correction, but I think Threshold only offer advice and support to tenants.

I suspect if a landlord did something especially reprehensible and the tenants weren't interested in taking a case, Threshold might persue the matter under their M.O. of improving rental standards in general, but I struggle to think of a specific example.

In your case you're probably fine, I'm actually quite suprised someone would bother with a case over 60 euro being temporarily witheld...

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

Ste.phen wrote: »
    In your case you're probably fine, I'm actually quite suprised someone would bother with a case over 60 euro being temporarily witheld...
    Ugh, I know. What a total pain! But they are wrong and I would win, but I can't be bothered spending 3 or 4 hours work on the response to the PRTB because that's more than the €60 is worth to me.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll let you know if Threshold pursue it.

• Advertisement

I think I'd do the same. No point in going through all the hassle and the waste of time, for the sake of €60. Though tbh there was no point deducting it in the first place if they left the place i n good nick and were all paid up.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

They weren't all paid up. They overstayed by 3 days.
    Small fry in the grand scheme of things, I know, but why should I give them free accommodation?

You'll drive yourself crazy if you start stressing over tiny amounts like that.This thread is the perfect example.

Advertisement