Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising Roof pitch.

Options
  • 23-04-2011 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We live in a 1970 bungalow , we have done a lot of redecorating inside and were just wondering if it is possible to re roof the house while not destroying all that is below?? The roof pitch is very low, you cant even stand up in the roof space but if raised it we could make great use of the available space above. I know we would need planning permission to do this but is it even worthwhile going down this route if all the ceilings downstairs would have to be ripped out?. Has anyone ever done this or am I mad for even considering such a job...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

We live in a 1970 bungalow , we have done a lot of redecorating inside and were just wondering if it is possible to re roof the house while not destroying all that is below?? The roof pitch is very low, you cant even stand up in the roof space but if raised it we could make great use of the available space above. I know we would need planning permission to do this but is it even worthwhile going down this route if all the ceilings downstairs would have to be ripped out?. Has anyone ever done this or am I mad for even considering such a job...

You really need to weigh the costs against the benefits. You will be moving out of the house while its being done, if you plan on converting it to rooms upstairs it will require heavier ceiling joists because if im not mistaking, houses built at that time were generally cut roofs that used 4 x 2 ceiling joists, and you will need much heavier joisting now. There wont be much of the existing roof that you can reuse, as the rafters will be longer and the slates or tiles wont match the new ones you will need. Some of the existing rafters cold be re used as collar ties or hangers and runners, and if its a hip roof, the old common rafters could be used as jack rafters. But in all it wont effect the cost much

Not knowing your house or its size, you could be looking at ,at minimum 25k plus the cost of studding out upstairs, electrical work, slabbing and plastering, and even at that the house might not suit having rooms up stairs, ie - they may be very small.

Its a big decision to make tbh,i would recommend you consult an architect on the viability and then run the designs by a QS.

Advertisement