Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving etiquette in Donegal??

Options
  • 23-04-2011 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭

Does anybody notice that some towns in donegal have completely different driving etiquette:

I have found that in Ardara people can just abandon their cars in the middle of the street and run into the shop.

In Raphoe they will pull right out in front of you and leave you to break to avoid hitting them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

sollar wrote: »
    Does anybody notice that some towns in donegal have completely different driving etiquette:

I have found that in Ardara people can just abandon their cars in the middle of the street and run into the shop.

In Raphoe they will pull right out in front of you and leave you to break to avoid hitting them.

Try cycling in Letterkenny. Horrible,

and i think the whole abandoning of cars i think thats every small town in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Ardara is by far the worst town about SW Donegal, Glenties by comparison is a far better town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

danniemcq wrote: »

and i think the whole abandoning of cars i think thats every small town in the country!

This is rife in Ramelton too. Just abandon the car.. double park park and take up one side of the road ..

Oh and fly around corners taking up 2 sides of the road when theres oncoming traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Raphoe truely is a law onto itself though. A woman just sailed out infront of me this morning with a people carrier full of kids. It was up to me to hit the brakes and not crash into them.

I've noticed alot of that in general recently. People will pull out and leave it up to you to slow down and not run into them.

Gonna buy and old car sometime and just let it happen :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Same story in Dungloe, people just stop their car (or even a lorry) in the middle of the road and head into a shop, forcing everyone behind to wait until theres no oncomming traffic to get past. Very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

danniemcq wrote: »

I used to commute daily in London on my bike, and was never hit. Untill I moved to Letterkenny.

Had to laugh at a case of this in Donegal Town last week, drove past an empty space, couldn't get pulled in so drove around the Diamond hoping it would still be there when I came round again.

When I got back as far as it, rather than some dope parking their car in the space, it was simply abandoned in front of it whilst they went to the ATM. not only stopping someone parking in it, but also creating a bottle neck on joining the Diamond.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Rds1989

In convoy, im often stuck behind people talking to each other in seperate cars on opposite sides of the road blocking traffic, its ridiculous

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

irish-stew wrote: »
    I used to commute daily in London on my bike, and was never hit. Untill I moved to Letterkenny.

Had to laugh at a case of this in Donegal Town last week, drove past an empty space, couldn't get pulled in so drove around the Diamond hoping it would still be there when I came round again.

When I got back as far as it, rather than some dope parking their car in the space, it was simply abandoned in front of it whilst they went to the ATM. not only stopping someone parking in it, but also creating a bottle neck on joining the Diamond.

:mad:
    The Diamond has double parking as an everyday occurance at this stage. Hell, I even see Garda cars double parking on the Diamond.

Buses stopping on the Diamond to load/unload passengers don't help either, though the single space for a bus is usually occupied with cars.

Shame there's no other spot that buses can all use as a depot (Bus Eireann, Feda, et al)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

sollar wrote: »
    Raphoe truely is a law onto itself though.

I think that's true though. Apparently Raphoe is supposed to have some law that means cars can just be abandoned anywhere and nothing can be done about it. It's not as bad as it was 15 years ago when cars would be parked 3-4 deep on the main road. And not a single car parked in the Diamond!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Daegerty wrote: »
    <snip>

abusive , off topic and trolling all in the one post well done, banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

I think most small towns are the same, glenties, ardara etc are all very similar. Someone made a good point about Dungloe, it'll take half an hour to get up the main street on market day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭swillybabe

HAve to agree ramelton is terrible for abandoning cars at the shop / atm and to make matters worse, that guard could be standing at the barracks door and he doesn't bat an eyelid!

swillybabe wrote: »
    HAve to agree ramelton is terrible for abandoning cars at the shop / atm and to make matters worse, that guard could be standing at the barracks door and he doesn't bat an eyelid!

Not to forget parking on blind corners. Had a few near misses on the bridge bar corner. People overtaking a parked car not worrying if there is a car on the other side of the road. Beggars belief.

Some unfortunate tunt is going to have a bad accident there.

Cop seems oblivious to it all. That station should be shut anyways. Patrol car is like an ornament.

Advertisement