Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art History/Art Project

• 23-04-2011 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Ok so i regret picking art so much because i didn't think about the art history whice is 37%?

Our teacher is a nutcase and never does the history with us,im pretty good at art but not the history and i have no idea whats coming up or what to study can anyone help me so i can cram over 2nd week of easter? :confused:

In serious Need of help with project also,what makes a good prep sheet? what do they look for? Pictures or stuff you made yourself? I need help i stressed out :(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Yedya

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

Hi, I did my leaving cert last year so I don't know how much of a help I will be. I did however get an A2 in higher level. In regards to the prep sheet, although it doesn't get marked per se, it does affect your grade if it is ****. If it is good and the rest of your work is good then you will get a high result, but if it is poor then it will reflect in your result. The trick is to use lots of different mediums, show off your style, the prep sheet is about exploring your ideas, make sure that all the work on your prep sheet is done by you(you are allowed to just stick on stuff from the internet and magazines whatever but this doesn't look very impressive) So include pencil drawings, paintings, charcoal, pastel etc. Another thing which they like is if you have an interest in an artist and can link it to your project. Say for example you are doing the poster design and you decide on doing 'contemporary glass exhibition'(which is on this years brief), then it would be really impressive to somehow involve the work of a contemporary glass artist somehow. This could be simply drawing a picture of one of their pieces which you can somehow integrate in your poster design. When sticking this on your prep sheet, write neatly underneath the name of the piece and the artist.

In regards to the history side of things, people ALWAYS underestimate its importance, I am serious, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a good grade in art unless your history is good. I don't know how much advice I can do as different schools cover different things. I know most schools do rennaissance stuff for the European section but our school does Impressionism and the modern art movements. The history is really quite interesting. The revise wise art book is good for this, you only have to study ONE section on the European art so if you get this book and look at their middle section and learn it off, its probably around 50 pages(I hate telling you to learn stuff off but at this stage there is not much else you can do)
    For the first section of the history paper STUDY NEWGRANGE. This is my tip. Also, look at Bronze Age and the Iron Age. Look at the exam papers and look at what did not come up last year, pay extra attention to these things. Again, I think Newgrange is a safe bet.

For the third section, the appreciation of art, if you are good at english you can pretty much wing this one. It is good to have an essay prepared on your gallery visit where you choose two works and deal with them in detail. You also should describe the architecture, some of the history and the works in the gallery. Prepare this essay now and learn it off. If not, for this question all I can say is make sure you use the right vocabulary when answering the question. If it is about graphic design there are certain words used- I did not prepare this so I don't know the terms(sorry!) If it is to do with objects(chairs, tables etc) It is important to note that FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION(Bauhaus school of thinking) Say this in your essay and then go about showing how. All that being said, I ended up answering a question on Banksy and used my own common knowledge and I did really well.

So sorry about the super long post but I understand how stressful it is to have absolutely no idea what is expected of you. Hope I helped a little.

wow that helps alot thank you,im doing a poster on theatre,so for my prep sheet i shouldn't get much pictures from the internet but draw pictures myself?

So what essay should i write out and learn off? what usually comes up?

Don't get any pictures from the internet, spend a little time every day and produce one really good picture and then by next week or whenevr your prep page will be filled up with really good work. As you are doing the international theatre festival one research some international theatre ideas, the difference in stage design. Maybe even look at some famous set designers (http://www.rfdesigns.org/) if there is a particularly interesting idea you could draw that and write his name underneath to show how you are being influenced and you have an interest in the artistic world outside of the leaving cert.

For the essays I am really not sure what it meant to come up this year, it is actually really easy to find out, just look at the past papers and what didn't come up last year or the year before should come up this year. You MUST include drawings in your essays, as this is an art essay and not just a history or english essay. Definitely prepare and learn off your Newgrange essay, include floor plans and pictures of the roof corbelling and some of the decorations and the roofbox. For your gallery visit if you are doing that one, include a simple floor plan, the two paintings you will be focusing on. I did mine on the Hugh Lane Gallery in Dublin which has quite interesting architecture with loads of archways and stuff so if the place you went to had interesting architecture(come on, all art galleries tend to) then include some pictures of this.

Okay, you should look back on previous boards postings, the information is still relevant to this year.

For example:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056163407

• Advertisement

Cheers

Advertisement