Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SAME 90turbo....how to tell the year?

• 23-04-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Its a northern reg GHZ just wondering how can you get the year of manufacture, and in general what kind of a tractor are they? We think its a 1991.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

How ya Rigthyabe. I am not being smart but the way to know the Same 90 is to have a look at the pit in a tractor garage.

I was in market for a similar type tractor few months back but could not stretch to a Nh 7840 and every single person I asked warned me of the Same.

I know plenty of people will reply saying theirs never gave bother etc but I am just going by what I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I drove for a contractor for years. He had nothing but Same. They took a huge amount of abuse, simple tractor with easy repairs, comfprtable cabs with lots of space. Generally a good all round tractor - not over complicated with gadgets or electronics. Great to pull a trailer, good breaks. No major issue with oil leaks. I'd recommend them to anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Regarding identifying year,

Current system
    The current system for Great Britain was introduced on 1 September 2001. Each registration index consists of seven characters with a defined format.

From left to right, the characters consist of:

A local memory tag or area code, consisting of two letters which together indicate the local registration office. The letters I, Q and Z are not used in this code;
    The first of these two letters is a mnemonic standing for the name of the broad area where the registration office is located. This is intended to make the registration more memorable than an arbitrary code. For example, A is used as the first character in all registrations issued by the three offices located in the vicinity of East Anglia;
    A two-digit age identifier, which changes twice a year, in March and September. The code is either the last two digits of the year itself (e.g. "05" for 2005) if issued between March and August, or else has 50 added (e.g. 55 for September 2005) if issued between September and February the following year;
    A three-letter sequence which uniquely distinguishes each of the vehicles displaying the same initial four-character area and age sequence. The letters I and Q are excluded from the three-letter sequence, as are combinations that may appear offensive (including those in foreign languages).
    This scheme has three particular advantages:

A buyer of a second-hand vehicle can in theory determine the year of first registration of the vehicle without having to look it up,
    In the case of a police investigation of an accident or vehicle-related crime, witnesses usually remember the initial area code letters — it is then quite simple to narrow down suspect vehicles to a much smaller number by checking the authority's database without having to know the full number.
    The scheme should have sufficient numbers to run until 2050.
    First letter Local mnemonic DVLA office Second letter (office identifier)
    A Anglia Peterborough A B C D E F G H J K L M N
    Norwich O P R S T U
    Ipswich V W X Y
    B Birmingham Birmingham A–Y
    C Cymru (Wales) Cardiff A B C D E F G H J K L M N O
    Swansea P R S T U V
    Bangor W X Y
    D Deeside to Shrewsbury Chester A B C D E F G H J K
    Shrewsbury L M N O P R S T U V W X Y
    E Essex Chelmsford A–Y
    F Forest & Fens (East Midlands) Nottingham A B C D E F G H J K L M N P
    Lincoln R S T V W X Y
    G Garden of England (Kent & Sussex) Maidstone A B C D E F G H J K L M N O
    Brighton P R S T U V W X Y
    H Hampshire & Dorset Bournemouth A B C D E F G H J
    Portsmouth K L M N O P R S T U V X Y
    W (for Isle of Wight residents only)
    K (no official name) Luton A B C D E F G H J K L
    Northampton M N O P R S T U V W X Y
    L London Wimbledon A B C D E F G H J
    Stanmore K L M N O P R S T
    Sidcup U V W X Y
    M Manchester & Merseyside Manchester A B C D E F G H J K L M O P R S T U V W X Y
    Isle of Man N (reserved for future use)
    N North (of England) Newcastle A B C D E G H J K L M N O
    Stockton P R S T U V W X Y
    O Oxford Oxford A–Y
    P Preston Preston A B C D E F G H J K L M N O P R S T
    Carlisle U V W X Y
    R Reading Reading A–Y
    S Scotland Glasgow A B C D E F G H J
    Edinburgh K L M N O
    Dundee P R S T
    Aberdeen U V W
    Inverness X Y
    T Scotland (additional allocation) Glasgow A B C D E F G H J
    Edinburgh K L M N O
    Dundee P R S T
    Aberdeen U V W
    Inverness X Y
    V Severn Valley Worcester A–Y
    W West of England Exeter A B C D E F G H J
    Truro K L
    Bristol M N O P R S T U V W X Y
    Y Yorkshire Leeds A B C D E F G H J K
    Sheffield L M N O P R S T U
    Beverley V W X Y

Also if your going to buy a tractor on an english or NI plate, you'I save yourself €150 if you do it before May 1.

(VRT is going up on May 1 from €50 to €200 to put imports on Irish plates) ;)

Advertisement